Apple needs to build its own search engine

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
The last time the rumor of an Apple search engine was making the media rounds, it was likely a negotiation tactic. ‘Essentially’ what is believed to have happened: Apple wanted X billion from Google to make it the iPhone default search engine. Google said we’ll give you half that. Soon after there were stories newly percolating of Apple building its own search engine. Not too far afterwards there were a few quiet stories that claimed Google had warmed up to Apple’s original offer.

My hunch is this is more negotiation tactics than real. Google’s search engine is a goldmine of personal user data. Google is far more efficient at monetizing that personal data. Unless Apple is going to start recording personal user specific data and get better at monetizing it (which would be a huge departure from its current stance), Apple has small search engine operations cost while make an annual billions bankroll from Google. What’s the value to Apple especially considering it’ll be hard to match Google’s search engine capability?

Unless Google is balking at reupping, or government regulation may be interrupting, or Microsoft bidding with bing, I just don’t see an Apple search engine as a real thing.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
The last time the rumor of an Apple search engine was making the media rounds, it was likely a negotiation tactic. ‘Essentially’ what is believed to have happened: Apple wanted X billion from Google to make it the iPhone default search engine. Google said we’ll give you half that. Soon after there were stories newly percolating of Apple building its own search engine. Not too far afterwards there were a few quiet stories that claimed Google had warmed up to Apple’s original offer.

My hunch is this is more negotiation tactics than real. Google’s search engine is a goldmine of personal user data. Google is far more efficient at monetizing that personal data. Unless Apple is going to start recording personal user specific data and get better at monetizing it (which would be a huge departure from its current stance), Apple has small search engine operations cost while make an annual billions bankroll from Google. What’s the value to Apple especially considering it’ll be hard to match Google’s search engine capability?

Unless Google is balking at reupping, or government regulation may be interrupting, or Microsoft bidding with bing, I just don’t see an Apple search engine as a real thing.

I hear you, but I hope you are wrong !

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
An Apple search engine would likely be just as biased as Google's.

Yep, I agree. That’s the different wrinkles of a search engine: effectiveness, privacy, bias. DDG is great at privacy, not great on bias, fairly decent effectiveness. I’d expect Apple to be around the DDG level, great on privacy, not great on bias, unknown on effectiveness. Google is worst on privacy and as bad or worse on bias but credit them for their effectiveness level. It is clearly industry best.

But I still think these stories are Apple media plants to get Google to pay up and/or leveraging Microsoft to put in a high bid. A billion iPhone users. There probably isn’t a higher income 1 billion demographic data point. Getting that default search engine spot is arguably one of the most valuable spots on the planet.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice