Apple needs some new Innovation

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I am a long time Apple products user and have been a loyal customer for many years, going back to 2008 when our company decided to shift from PC to Mac and we never looked back.

We have seen many great innovations come from Apple such as the iPhone, IPod, iMac and Mac Pro laptops and such. But it seems that since Steve Jobbs passed, the company has been more profit and services oriented then innovating some new products.

I for one feel they should come out with a new iPhone that would knock the competition out of the ball park. They have made billions off the loyal consumers who have bought their products and I for one feel they owe it to their loyal base.

Forget the usual processor, camera and color upgrades we have seen the past 3-4 model changes. Let’s build something that Steve Jobbs would be proud of!!

And the most important part would be also making it affordable to the current customer base. I feel they can and should bring a “game changing” iPhone to the market.

I for one would be first in line to buy it, depending on the introductory cost of course. Just thought I would throw it out there and see what response I would get.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don’t think the issue is a lack of innovation because I’m sure their R&D team have created some futuristic looking devices. Heck, aren’t they currently creating or testing the so-called Car? With that being said, are we really ready for some of their innovative products? I mean, if Apple has a phone that can sense your thoughts and then dial the phone number of the person you’re thinking about, would you find it exciting or a bit scary?

Reactions: kataran

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I am a long time Apple products user and have been a loyal customer for many years, going back to 2008 when our company decided to shift from PC to Mac and we never looked back.

We have seen many great innovations come from Apple such as the iPhone, IPod, iMac and Mac Pro laptops and such. But it seems that since Steve Jobbs passed, the company has been more profit and services oriented then innovating some new products.

I for one feel they should come out with a new iPhone that would knock the competition out of the ball park. They have made billions off the loyal consumers who have bought their products and I for one feel they owe it to their loyal base.

Forget the usual processor, camera and color upgrades we have seen the past 3-4 model changes. Let’s build something that Steve Jobbs would be proud of!!

And the most important part would be also making it affordable to the current customer base. I feel they can and should bring a “game changing” iPhone to the market.

I for one would be first in line to buy it, depending on the introductory cost of course. Just thought I would throw it out there and see what response I would get.

Personally I don’t feel apple lacking innovation, especially when it comes to iPhones.

Which iPhone do you use?

Ps: affordable innovation is an oxymoron.

Last edited:

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I agree.
The iPhone by no means is a bad product.
But it is boring, and lacks innovation.
Its most useful 'feature' is the integration in the Apple ecosystem.
There is no other significant distinction from other phones, nor has there been any true 'innovation' in the last couple of years.
I've long given up to consider what they present as innovation as true innovation.
Many features that they release as big innovation, at a painfully slow pace, have been available from others since many years.
Speaking of OSD, widgets, customizable home screen, better camera sensors, hardened screens....and while thinking of what else to write down here, I found myself not remembering anything else of significance.
(Oh yes, and a fully customizable home screen they won't even introduce with iOS16).
And even if they would just carbon copy what others have been offering since years, this would not deserve the name 'innovation'.

The question is, why is that?
No more ideas, or saving innovation for the next or the next or the next version, as long as they continue selling boring non-innovative phones like hot cakes?
Honestly, I think it might be both.
The question is, what do we, as users, wish to have, to make it less boring?

I remember when the Palm Pilot got released (yes I'm that old).
This was the most exciting thing in years. I needed to have one.
When I had it, I thought 'now what I want is the same thing with a built in phone'....

I'm not sure that today there is a demand or desire (or idea?) as strong as for putting a phone in a Palm Pilot.

So what ARE the things we actually want in an iPhone, to bring the excitement back?

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree.
The iPhone by no means is a bad product.
But it is boring, and lacks innovation.
Its most useful 'feature' is the integration in the Apple ecosystem.
There is no other significant distinction from other phones, nor has there been any true 'innovation' in the last couple of years.
I've long given up to consider what they present as innovation as true innovation.
Many features that they release as big innovation, at a painfully slow pace, have been available from others since many years.
Speaking of OSD, widgets, customizable home screen, better camera sensors, hardened screens....and while thinking of what else to write down here, I found myself not remembering anything else of significance.
(Oh yes, and a fully customizable home screen they won't even introduce with iOS16).
And even if they would just carbon copy what others have been offering since years, this would not deserve the name 'innovation'.

The question is, why is that?
No more ideas, or saving innovation for the next or the next or the next version, as long as they continue selling boring non-innovative phones like hot cakes?
Honestly, I think it might be both.
The question is, what do we, as users, wish to have, to make it less boring?

I remember when the Palm Pilot got released (yes I'm that old).
This was the most exciting thing in years. I needed to have one.
When I had it, I thought 'now what I want is the same thing with a built in phone'....

I'm not sure that today there is a demand or desire (or idea?) as strong as for putting a phone in a Palm Pilot.

So what ARE the things we actually want in an iPhone, to bring the excitement back?

So you believe an iPhone lacks innovation and is boring, yet you bought one anyway.

giphy.gif

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Let’s look at this from a different angle. Apple sells millions of iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, AirPods, etcetera year after year and when the competition introduces a new/updated product, it is automatically compared to its competing Apple product.

As a business, Apple has to be careful not to make too many changes too soon and risk losing a good portion of it customers because of it. Why change a formula that confuses to work and generate significant revenue?

If the next iPhone turns out to be a sales flop then Apple might be more inclined to take a risk and introduce an iPhone that may have been originally targeted for a 2030 release. Just a thought. :)

Last edited:

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
You can like a product and still want it to be better.

That doesn’t make any sense, other than that poster actually bought a phone they believed lacked innovation and was boring.

Apple must be doing something right getting consumers to buy their products even though said consumer finds it lacking.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Let’s look at this from a different angle. Apple sells millions of iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, AirPods, etcetera year after year and when the competition introduces a new/updated product, it is automatically compared to its competing Apple product.

As a business, Apple has to be careful not to make too many changes too soon and risk losing a good portion of it customers because of it. Why change a formula that confuses to work and generate significant revenue?

If the next iPhone turns out to be a sales flop then Apple might be more inclined to take a risk and introducing an iPhone that may have been originally targeted for a 2030 release. Just a thought. :)
I totally agree. They are, in a way, stuck. Innovate wrong and you're the next BlackBerry. Don't innovate and you have to hope your user base stays loyal.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
That doesn’t make any sense, other than that poster actually bought a phone they believed lacked innovation and was boring.

Apple must be doing something right getting consumers to buy their products even though said consumer finds it lacking.
You are an example of the type of customer Apple wants. Totally bought in and never question anything.

That's totally fine but you can't see where others might have a different opinion?

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
You are an example of the type of customer Apple wants. Totally bought in and never question anything.

That's totally fine but you can't see where others might have a different opinion?

Why thank you. Most customers (myself included) asks questions before they buy the product not after.

Sure anyone can have an opinion. Doesn’t change the fact that it does not make any sense.

Buy phone that they believe lacks innovation and is boring and do not buy a phone that they find innovative and exciting.

Again apple must be doing something right to get that kind of customer.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Why thank you. Most customers (myself included) asks questions before they buy the product not after.

Sure anyone can have an opinion. Doesn’t change the fact that it does not make any sense.

Buy phone that they believe lacks innovation and is boring and do not buy a phone that they find innovative and exciting.

Again apple must be doing something right to get that kind of customer.
Again, we all see you are totally bought in and find a need to disagree with everyone who isn't. Apparently it's your life endeavor. The rest of us would like to have an intelligent discussion.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Again, we all see you are totally bought in and find a need to disagree with everyone who isn't. Apparently it's your life endeavor. The rest of us would like to have an intelligent discussion.

Do we see that? All bought in? Is that because I don’t buy 3 or more android phones a year in addition to an iPhone.

You seem to want to discuss the poster and not the post. Quite the shame.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes, Apple could do with some real iPhone hardware innovation. But there is no point, because if for instance Apple invented or improved battery technology so as to give two,or three days run time, China would automatically steal it and claim it as their own. I feel that this behaviour is stunting any real tech innovations. So it’s all software,and that’s not interesting enough, particularly as some of the software direction is counter to Apples stated desire to make us pay for everything,and to accept advertising we will have to pay to avoid.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Apple System Integration anyone?
Still bored. Missing innovation.
Makes more sense now?

Not really.

You still bought a phone which you claim is lacking innovations and is boring. That makes very little sense, unless your perceived innovations and excitement are meaningless when it comes to sales.

Wouldn’t apple system integration be a form of innovation? Instead you seem to label it merely “useful”.

Ps: I had palm pilots back in the day as well. The first one from US Robotics was a POS brick, no idea how you found that exciting.

I had all the pda’s back in the day. From palm to psion to Phillips with their velo series. The weren’t fun or exciting to use, just very limited.

Last edited: