Apple Music - Warning no free trial for second sign up on Apple device

woteva65

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Apple in their wisdom to stop people signing up for multiple free trials of Apple Music actually track the device ID, the second and subsequent sign ups on the device will result in subscription being charged straight away.

I found this out the hard way as my iTunes Apple ID is my old .mac account which is not an email address. I also have an iCloud Apple ID for those services that require the full email address.

I signed up on day 1 for the Apple Music Family Plan trial using my default iTunes Apple ID . I then went to enable Family Sharing and found that it does not support .mac Apple IDs. No problem, signed up for Apple Music with my iCloud Apple ID and enabled Family Sharing and off we went.

Problem being that Apple charged my credit card straight away for $17.99 and then again the next month. When I noticed this I called Apple Support who agreed that it was strange I was being charged within the 3 months trial period, said they will look into it.

A week later they called back and said that as it was the 2nd Apple Music registration on the device no free trial was available. I pointed out that people share computers and buy second hand iPhones/iPads and this will cause issues for legitimate customers but was told that was how the system worked and basically too bad.

This whole issue could have been avoided if they let users merge Apple ID accounts but they can't/wont do this.

I have escalated the issue to try and get common sense applied, not that concerned as if they don't come to the party I will just dispute the charge with my CC company but it is something to watch out for because I am sure I am not the only one affected.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for letting us know! This should be solved, I don't know why Apple of all companies would have some weird system set up like this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77