Apple might not make your iPhone battery user friendly, despite EU laws

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I applaud the EU for stepping up and attempting to make these devices user-repairable. And, for the record, they will not be the only jurisdiction putting in place such rules.

Given that the battery is a consumable, it simply needs to be easily replaceable. At least, until the day we have a battery technology that never decays and that is built from 100% reusable materials.

If Apple doesn’t want a failure point, design the devices better; other manufacturers did so in the 2000s, using copper connection pads.

Edit 2023-08-05: Added missing "from" in "built from 100% reusable"

Last edited:

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I don’t care about easily replaceable batteries, I do like IP68. I had Apple change my XS battery a couple of months ago. This comes out at roughly £16 a year, I can live with that.
What I can’t live with is going back to the days when if you dropped your phone on the table it disassembled itself all over the room ! It is possible to get round this but it would increase the size of the phone, and I can’t see Apple going along with it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don’t care about easily replaceable batteries, I do like IP68. I had Apple change my XS battery a couple of months ago. This comes out at roughly £16 a year, I can live with that.
What I can’t live with is going back to the days when if you dropped your phone on the table it disassembled itself all over the room ! It is possible to get round this but it would increase the size of the phone, and I can’t see Apple going along with it.

I live about 80 miles from the closest Apple store. Rather not have to drive that far for a battery. The last time I did, they broke the torch and camera. I'm sure Apple can make it where it won't fall apart if dropped. Which phone did you have fall apart? None of my non Apple phones ever fell apart. That includes my flip phones.

Reactions: EdwinG

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I live about 80 miles from the closest Apple store. Rather not have to drive that far for a battery. The last time I did, they broke the torch and camera. I'm sure Apple can make it where it won't fall apart if dropped. Which phone did you have fall apart? None of my non Apple phones ever fell apart. That includes my flip phones.

Nokia,Ericsson,Sony + all the others with clip on or slide on backs, not all mine I hasten to add just what I have seen happen ! Twice I have seen the small Samsung flip phones perform their special trick of smashing the hinge.

Reactions: FFR

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Nokia,Ericsson,Sony + all the others with clip on or slide on backs, not all mine I hasten to add just what I have seen happen ! Twice I have seen the small Samsung flip phones perform their special trick of smashing the hinge.
My Samsung flip phone (from 2009) was built with a rail on the inside to keep the battery cover in place.

It wouldn’t just pop out if it fell on the floor. It would simply open by like 5mm, keeping all the insides on the inside.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
My Samsung flip phone (from 2009) was built with a rail on the inside to keep the battery cover in place.

It wouldn’t just pop out if it fell on the floor. It would simply open by like 5mm, keeping all the insides on the inside.

I wonder how they learnt to do that !

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

You are quite right, it would require a heavier, thicker iPhone for that failure point.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77