Apple Maps for a road trip. Can I trust it?

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Taking a family road trip over spring break. I’d much prefer to use Apple Maps but I’m not sure if I can trust it. Does anyone have any experience with using Apple Maps for a road trip? I know there’s other options like Google maps and Waze but I prefer the interface of Apple Maps.

DarkKnight08

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I supposed it depends on where you are using it. We travel throughout the midwest over the summer months and I've never had any issues with Apple Maps. It's never gotten me lost and has been accurate as far as traffic and suggesting alternate routes.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I supposed it depends on where you are using it. We travel throughout the midwest over the summer months and I've never had any issues with Apple Maps. It's never gotten me lost and has been accurate as far as traffic and suggesting alternate routes.

That’s good to know. Makes me feel a little more confident. Thank you!

One thing I wish it offered was being able to search for any location along your route instead of specific categories. It never seems to find any McDonald’s locations

fyrfyter

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
That’s good to know. Makes me feel a little more confident. Thank you!

One thing I wish it offered was being able to search for any location along your route instead of specific categories. It never seems to find any McDonald’s locations

I still feel like Apple maps has a long way to go.

I stick with Google maps, since it works and just keeps getting better.

Apple maps feels like a secondhand afterthought.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I've used Apple Maps exclusively for the past several years and never had an issue with it. My travels have been throughout the midwest, down south and the east coast.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I've used Apple Maps exclusively for the past several years and never had an issue with it. My travels have been throughout the midwest, down south and the east coast.

One thing that really concerns me is, is Apple Maps capable of routing you around heavy traffic and or construction zones?

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I’m a truck driver and I use Apple maps exclusively! Never lets me down!

That’s good to know! I drive a delivery vehicle and most days I am on the road approximately 1/2 of the work day. I usually use Google Maps but am trying to transition to Apple Maps as I prefer the less cluttered interface.

johnmoore13

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
One thing that really concerns me is, is Apple Maps capable of routing you around heavy traffic and or construction zones?

Always alerts me to faster routes if it needs to, sometimes it just tells me there is an accident ahead however many miles and that I’m still on the fastest route!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I've been giving Apple Maps a fair shake and I occasionally cross reference with Google Maps. Apple Maps has come a long way since it was released and seems to be working great for me in the Midwest. Occasionally it has some wrong locations but if you run across them you can report it to Apple so they can change it. As long as the users help Apple, Apple Maps will continue to get better.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I use GPS a lot and tend to rotate between Apple Maps and Google Maps to get a good sense of which is better. Honestly, they’re both pretty good and accurate. I used to give Google and edge because it seemed to be better at selecting routes and it had lame guidance but Apple Maps has caught up, especially since it was redesigned (was that iOS 10? I forget). So they’re both on par for me. Neither are perfect but I tend to trust them.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
These days the product or environment seems pretty good for general navigation and at times the more straight forward or main route vs Waze going for speed is good in an unfamiliar place.

Apple Maps has been really great as a Watch owner. If it disappoints that's usually in local data. Don't be swayed by info from the past that might not be true.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
In my area (southeast US) I find Apple Maps to be more accurate than Google Maps. There have been several times Google tells me to turn the wrong direction, but Apple Maps gets me there. Since Apple started using lane guidance I never use Google Maps anymore.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Taking a family road trip over spring break. I’d much prefer to use Apple Maps but I’m not sure if I can trust it. Does anyone have any experience with using Apple Maps for a road trip? I know there’s other options like Google maps and Waze but I prefer the interface of Apple Maps.

I fully trust the native Maps app and I use it quite often. With that being said, I think you’ll be fine using it for your trip over Spring break.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Looks like from the recommendations given I need to give Apple Maps another try and put Google Maps in the backseat for awhile.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Looks like from the recommendations given I need to give Apple Maps another try and put Google Maps in the backseat for awhile.

I used it today when I went to Largo, FL. to pick up some furniture for my oldest son and his family. The native Maps app led me to the location as well as correctly display where all of the traffic congestion existed along the route.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RowanJack