Apple keyboard vs on-screen keyboard

Floridadomer

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I just recieved my ipad pro and was going to purchase the Apple keyboard. To my surprise, using the onscreen keyboard has been very easy to use. The tablet is so big that I don't feel like I am loosing much as far as the area that it is taking. So my question is this, for those that are using an external keyboard, what are the benefits? I am not the greatest typer and dont use keyboard shortcuts. Thank you in advance for imput.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I have a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard. Only when it's not with me am I using the screen one. The one thing I don't like about the Smart Keyboard is there is only one angle when you are not using the Smart Keyboard.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I use the smart keyboard. Prefer the tactile feel of the physical keyboard. I type really fast so having a physical keyboard helps with accuracy.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I use both but prefer a keyboard for the heavy lifting. I type much faster on the Smart Keyboard.

Exactly this!...I enjoy using the Apple Smart Keyboard with my 9.7" iPad Pro and I prefer the screen to be propped up. Having said that, I type much faster using the on-screen keyboard and find it more comfortable. Typing with the Apple Smart Keyboard isn't uncomfortable, it's just not as comfortable to "me" as the on-screen Keyboard.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have an 12.9" Pro with a Smart Keyboard and I probably use the Smart Keyboard a slight majority of the time. The beauty of the smart connector is that it's super easy to remove the keyboard whenever you want.

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have become completely dependent on having a physical keyboard. The keyboard shortcuts are very helpful, especially command-space for app switching.

fhanselmann

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I much prefer a physical keyboard to the onscreen, using it probably 99% of the tiime. I'm on my 3rd keyboard for 12.9. Started with the Brydge 12.9. Loved the concept, it looked awesome and the finish was great, BUT the hinges would not hold the iPad Pro 12.9 up after a certain angle and the thing would just flop open, flat. Returned it. From there I moved on to a Zagg Slim Book case/keyboard. Worked well, but one of the corners of the case covering the iPad broke less than month after purchase. Returned it. I now have the Logitech CREATE Keyboard Case. Love the Smart Connect and the fact that it doesn't need to be charged. The screen angle when connected to the keyboard turns out to be pretty good for both desk/table and lap use. Key feel is very good and typing is very easy. iPad hasn't left the case since being inserted after I bought it. This one is a keeper. I'll note that there is a lot of negative feedback out there regarding the CREATE case scratching the iPad screen. I have a tempered glass protector on my screen and haven't noticed any scratching two months in.

Floridadomer

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I much prefer a physical keyboard to the onscreen, using it probably 99% of the tiime. I'm on my 3rd keyboard for 12.9. Started with the Brydge 12.9. Loved the concept, it looked awesome and the finish was great, BUT the hinges would not hold the iPad Pro 12.9 up after a certain angle and the thing would just flop open, flat. Returned it. From there I moved on to a Zagg Slim Book case/keyboard. Worked well, but one of the corners of the case covering the iPad broke less than month after purchase. Returned it. I now have the Logitech CREATE Keyboard Case. Love the Smart Connect and the fact that it doesn't need to be charged. The screen angle when connected to the keyboard turns out to be pretty good for both desk/table and lap use. Key feel is very good and typing is very easy. iPad hasn't left the case since being inserted after I bought it. This one is a keeper. I'll note that there is a lot of negative feedback out there regarding the CREATE case scratching the iPad screen. I have a tempered glass protector on my screen and haven't noticed any scratching two months in.

I have been really torn between the Apple keyboard or the Logitech Create keyboard. I too have a screen protector so I ma not worried about the scratching issue. I am using the Apple back cover so I would have to take it off everytime i want to use the Logitech keyboard. I like to be able to hold the ipad without any cover. With yhat said, I think I would enjoy using the Logitech keyboard more than the Apple. Like I said, I am so torn!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I prefer using like a laptop. That is why I got the logitech create keyboard/case. I type quickly on it and it works very well. Comfortable and am sitting on my couch with it on my lap typing this.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I bought a Targus case and I'm using a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard instead of apples' Smart Keyboard. I don't think the Apple one gives much protection in my opinion.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy