Apple iWatch

NolansVlogs

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Apple is rumoured to be developing a wrist watch of some description, which would most likely synch up with an iPhone or iPad to give you updates on you?re wrist, allow you to control other devices and pull data from the cloud.

Supposedly a team of ?about 100 product designers? are working on the iWatch ? including managers, marketers and software and hardware engineers who previously worked on the iPhone and iPad. That?s according to two people ?familiar with the company?s plans?, which puts them in a remarkably small category.

According to the two in the know, the project is ?beyond experimentation phase in its development.?

Apple iWatch Features

A further two informers claiming to be au fait with Apple?s various super-plans say it is experimenting with a ?wristwatch-like device made of curved glass?, operating on iOS. The NYT notes Corning has developed bendable glass last year called Willow Glass which could be used to wrap around something wrist, and cites Forrester?s claim that ?Apple?s certainly made a lot of hiring in that area?.

There are also claims Apple is in discussions with Chinese manufacturer Foxconn, which makes a large number of iPhone and iPad parts, about producing an iWatch. Foxconn are apparently working to make more power-efficient displays and stripping down chips, aimed at multiple Foxconn customers. This Wall Street Journal report also claims Apple has hired employees with backgrounds in sensors and related tecehnologies.

Apple iTV, Siri and iCloud

While many have dismissed the idea of a Apple iWatch in the past, some are coming around to the idea in think pieces. The Cult of Mac notes that recently Siri and iCloud has become massively important to Apple ? and that these two technologies actually lend themselves very well to a wristwatch strategy. It also points out that it would be particularly well suited as a remote control to any TV that may be being worked on. The Apple iTV is an entire area of speculation in itself, which we?ve collated and summarised for you here.

It has also been pointed out that an iWatch wouldn?t be such a dramatic new area for Apple, since the square iPod Nano with watchstraps can act as, well, pretty much a watch with knobs on. A Blog To Watch also concurs that Siri integration will be key.

Apple iWatch: Flexible/curved screen

There is some reason to belive the Apple iWatch might not be just around the corner, however. There are suggestions it could be three years off - Corning says that?s at least as long as it will take companies to start rolling out flexible displays, which the iWatch is supposed to feature.

Corning produces Willow glass, which companies could use to create flexible or curved displays. But according to Bloomberg, president of the firm James Clappin said in an interview: ?People are not accustomed to glass you roll up. The ability of people to take it and use it to make a product is limited.?

Cornign has made the glass and is making ?a lot of effort? to teach ?very big name? customers how to use it ? but the firm estimates we?re at least three years off before anyone will produce proper consumer electronics with them. Could one of those big names be Apple? There's no way to be sure, but certainly it doesn't seem too far fetched.

Apple iWatch: Battery

There are reams of speculation on precisely what tech the device would have under the hood, which at this point may seem like a rumour bridge too far ? but certainly one thing that would seem obvious is some form of better battery performance, since you wouldn?t want to take a watch off and charge it twice a day like can be required for a smartphone. On this point, some have highlighted a patent Apple owns for wireless charging.

Apple iWatch: Design

While early possibilities led us to believe an iWatch would be effectively an iPod Nano on a strap, the latest developments are much more intriguing. According to a patent application unearthed by AppleInsider, Cupertino has been investigating the possibility of a wraparound design similar to the slap bracelets of the early 1990s.

According to the patent, the iWatch could be made of a flexible screen that wraps entirely around the user's wrist and utilises solar power and kinetic energy to keep the battery topped up.

A couple of interesting mockups have hit the web, but unfortunately there wasn't much to be gleaned from the handdrawn sketches submitted as part of the patent application.
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1363115733.173292.jpg

NolansVlogs

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have no interest in it, especially if it looks like the mockup you provided.

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
The iWatch will look nothing like that mockup. It will look amazing and have limited functionality at first but more and more as time progresses--just like the iPhone. And yes, I will buy one. Oh yes. It will be mine.

GGRRAAFT

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The glass is another year away from being used but the new ceramic encasing patent filed by Apple is interesting because along with battery life, water resistance was a no brainer problem that would need to be solved.

KarlMould

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
This is a no-brainer to be honest!

Just look at the iPod Nano 6th Gen, pop a couple of straps on it and you have an iWatch?

That is all it will be, Apples' design is the same base throughout all of it's products.

There is no design innovation, they're too scared to change what Jobs made it.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I guess it may be just me...but I don't get the whole "smart watch" fad that is happening right now. Maybe it is because I have never used a watch really, but I just feel it is unecessary. Don't get me wrong, it looks like a cool concept...just something I won't need nor want.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't mind one if it has ability to see your texts and caller iD and vibrates would save me time from looking at my phone etc

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
The iWatch will look nothing like that mockup. It will look amazing and have limited functionality at first but more and more as time progresses--just like the iPhone. And yes, I will buy one. Oh yes. It will be mine.

Yay win for me!! It does look amazing, and in my humble opinion it is far from limited in its functionality, though I still expect future iterations to do even more. Especially when third party software developers are really let loose on the thing (plus I'm guessing there will be a jailbreaking contingent). Still definitely planning to spend some hard-earned savings on it, that's a certainty. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods