Apple iPhone?

davidg4781

Jan 11, 2006
Visit site
macrumors.com is saying it's not able to download directly from the iTMS. Maybe there's a reason behind this, since you can only download it once. I guess since the cell phone data signal isn't as stable as a home one, this will keep them from having any problems.

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
The way I see this is: the iPhone is more of a consumer based product. It has some similar functions to a Treo, but I think it's really geared towards consumers not enterprise users. If you're a heavy enterprise user (corp email, applications etc) it may not be for you. I don't think corp america is going to be looking to move to iPhones for their employees. Apple knows this and they designed their device around this. They know the touch screen "keyboard" is good, but for a poweruser it would be frustrating, and not ideal. If you need/want email with the other features I think the iPhone is a great fit. I'm looking forward to taking a look at this device.

Anyway, this is my thoughts/opnion on the iPhone. I think it will be a great device for the right users.

nospleen

Aug 17, 2002
Visit site
I think the market has spoken on the iPod. More features doesn't mean better. There is a simple way to reset an iPod, you don't need a button just for this.

If there ever is an iPhone, I'll wait to see what features it has. But if it has anything close I'd get it in a minute. No other manufacturer (especially Palm) has anything like the designs that come out of Apple. And yes, I use Macs and love them.

Soooo, dumb question of the day. Are you getting one?!:D :cool:

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
You betcha! :D

If a Treo suits someone better, I have no problem with that.

But the day the iPhone is released I will be done with Treos forever. I don't expect it to be perfect, but I think what they have show so far is truly a step beyond the phones out there. And I do expect:

1.) They won't slowly abandon Mac users over time.
2.) It will sync information perfectly out of the box with a Mac
3.) They will actually release updates to fix bugs, rather than complain about those you point out the bugs as "power users" and treat them like they don't matter.

Soooo, dumb question of the day. Are you getting one?!:D :cool:

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
The thing is that consumers have NOT jumped at smartphones, at internet browsing phones, etc. It's still a very small niche in the cell phone world.

Marc

Marc - With this in mind I think the idea of the iPhone is perfect. It helps folks transition to a "smarter" phone using technology they like, the iPod. I think Apple has done the same with their computers - I'm willing to be a lot of folks bought Apple computers after the used their iPod and found how well it worked... Just a thought.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
and a very good thought. i am one who likes to build his own pc's and happen to own 3 different ipods. did the ipods lure me into the store to check out their laptops when it came time to buy one?

you bet. did i buy an apple laptop? absolutely.

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
oalvarez - I'm in the same boat. I've switched to all Apple computers...This all started with an iPod for me. I loved the way it worked and the interface (iTunes). I tried many other MP3 players but nothing compaired. I think the marketing Apple does is amazing. I see this phone fit for folks who are consumers (not enterprise users) looking to get into an "all in one" device, but didn't make the jump to a Treo or BB yet.

I think Apple also has another thing working in their favor when launching this device.....The "Wow" or "Cool" factor of the phone, which I think tends to have a lot of appeal today. I don't think (my opionion) a Treo or a BB is really seen as a "sexy" device for the most part.

jbinbi

Feb 26, 2006
Visit site
its neat, and has lots of features. However, the price is high, and its limited to cingular. If you look at the cost of Razr (really popular at $99) and Nano at $250, you can get this in an all in one combo iPhone for $200 more. Now I think alot of people might pay that extra money for the convenience of an all in one device that also has smart phone features.

However, the fact is that many people are locked into current 2 year contracts with carriers other than cingular. How many of them will change to get out of it with another $150 on top of it.

My kids both have razr and nano. We are verizon family plan. I already spent a bunch on their equipment. I am not about chuck the $700 I spent on 2 sets of ipods and phones , then a termination fee, then put them on a new plan that will cost me more since its not a family plan. Oh yeah, and it will now cost me to call them, since they are not part of my network.

What I am saying is that while I think the iPhone is a really nice piece of technology, and it has definitely set the bar for smart phones, because of price and carrier, the rate of adoption might be slower than anticipated.

What I am hoping is that this lights a fire under Palm, and ideas that the engineers and marketeers have had that might be supressed by management get to bloom, and we see Treos that are slimmer, with features that we have been asking for on this forum. If Palm doesn't respond to this quickly, then they will deserve the desertion they will get.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
its neat, and has lots of features. However, the price is high, and its limited to cingular. If you look at the cost of Razr (really popular at $99) and Nano at $250, you can get this in an all in one combo iPhone for $200 more. Now I think alot of people might pay that extra money for the convenience of an all in one device that also has smart phone features.
Razr plus nano plus widescreen video iPod plus web tablet. I doubt it's for me, at least not as we currently understand its specs (no 3G, no third-party apps), but I can see them shifting many millions of these.

copernicus

Nov 22, 2002
Visit site
Since it seems now that the battery will at least be "serviceable" at Apple stores, the biggest drawback would seem to be the lack of EVDO comparable speed at this point (for those who live in areas where it is available). Other than that, on the surface, the iPhone looks formidable to me.

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
I think you are right. I think there is a niche for the Treo and a niche for iPhone. This is Apple's debut product in the cellular phone space and its amazing, but not perfect. For me the jury is out on the keyboard/touchscreen typing capabilities of this phone. I do a lot of typing on my Treo 650 and contrary to Steve Jobs -- think plastic keys are valuable. On the other, I am open to something new if it is good. I read David Pogue's hands-on and he seemed fairly balanced in his praise and critique of the device.

I'm lukewarm on the 3G/UMTS stuff. It's not a deal breaker for me because I don't see myself spending 39.99/mo to have access to the internet at 400-700kbs. Nothing that I am doing work-wise is that important. I work near downtown Oakland, CA and I'm near all sorts of WIFI all day. Every other little restaurant and coffee house, (not-Starbucks) has it free.

The Treo 750 is secondary option if the iPhone doesn't pan out. I'm a middleware developer and I writes apps for Windows all day long. But every evening, I go home to a Mac. I want something that syncs with my Mac perfectly. I'll hold on to my Treo 650 for 6 more months and try the iPhone when it comes out.

I have a prediction. Apple will announce an additional iPhone that is more like a PDA and less of an iPod. Something directed at business/powerusers that is 3G. Steve Jobs said something about the future relationship with Cingular and exploring 3G phones at the end of his keynote.

You betcha! :D

If a Treo suits someone better, I have no problem with that.

But the day the iPhone is released I will be done with Treos forever. I don't expect it to be perfect, but I think what they have show so far is truly a step beyond the phones out there. And I do expect:

1.) They won't slowly abandon Mac users over time.
2.) It will sync information perfectly out of the box with a Mac
3.) They will actually release updates to fix bugs, rather than complain about those you point out the bugs as "power users" and treat them like they don't matter.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods