Apple iPhone?

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
Releasing the iPhone today did not make any sense. Admittedly though, I couldn't figure out what was going to be "punch line" of the hoax posted on Gizmodo. So we now know LinkSys/Cisco owns the name iPhone and they've released a new device today.

Any idea on Apple's name for their phone?

Apple Phone ? :confused:
iPod Cell :eek:
Call Pod :D

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I think it's hilarious how the whole media (and everyone else, in-turn)erupts with amazement and disappointment that Apple won't be introducing a product named the iPhone.

|
|
|
|/

Mobile Me

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
Even money says Apple keeps the name simple: Apple Phone

Otherwise consider the following "i" monikers such as:

iCommunicator
iTeleF
iSpeak
iTalk
iPod-Phone

zrs70

Oct 21, 2003
Visit site
Remember, the unit will be more than a phone (hopefully). It should merge the ipod/ pda/ and phone. Thus, "iphone" would not do justice.

Therefore, here are my thoughts for names:

ipod mobile (why not keep it in the same family name?)
igo (though I think the name is already taken)
ithink
ipad
isight

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
Random Thoughts and a Prediction

I have a prediction. As I was thinking today, it occurred to me that the new iPhone/iPod is going to be a wireless connecting appliance that is integrated with iTV, AirPort, and Macintosh Computers. There is a strong possibility that you might be able to access your "iTunes" library remotely and download songs to your iPod/Connect device. Perhaps it will even behave as a RF or infrared remote for iTV. So I thought a befitting name for the formerly named iPhone would be "iPod-Connect."

iPod-Connect would have the following capabilities -- WiFi, cell phone svcs, Bluetooth, broadband UMTS, Infra-Red or RF, streaming video playback to iTV, etc.)

davidg4781

Jan 11, 2006
Visit site
Why does everything have to integrate with everything Apple offers? Why can't it just be a phone, designed by Apple, that has such a great UI and syncs 1stly with iCal and Address Book and uses Mail to access your email? That's all I want, something to keep carry my calendar and address book around with in a nice looking phone. I'm tired of my Treo. It's big and bulky and annoying, but I love it too much to get rid of it for something lower.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
I have a prediction. As I was thinking today, it occurred to me that the new iPhone/iPod is going to be a wireless connecting appliance that is integrated with iTV, AirPort, and Macintosh Computers. There is a strong possibility that you might be able to access your "iTunes" library remotely and download songs to your iPod/Connect device. Perhaps it will even behave as a RF or infrared remote for iTV. So I thought a befitting name for the formerly named iPhone would be "iPod-Connect."

iPod-Connect would have the following capabilities -- WiFi, cell phone svcs, Bluetooth, broadband UMTS, Infra-Red or RF, streaming video playback to iTV, etc.)

Keyboard or no keyboard? Either way, very interesting...

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
Keyboard or no keyboard? Either way, very interesting...

I think one version will have a keyboard and one will be a regular phone. I am very optimistic about what Apple is planning with this new iPod device. I think they are building on their theme of "end to end" solutions and moving into the area of personal networking and telematics with this device. Most telematics stuff is automobile centric, but that is only because people spend so much time in their cars in every other place outside New York. I think this device will evolve into something that is so much more than a cell phone or an iPod.

jpizzaj

May 28, 2005
Visit site
if the iphone is built anything like the ipod there is no way im getting it, apple is getting away with maing a bad product just because they have the popular brand name, there are far better mp3 players out there, ones with reset buttons, expandability, reset buttons, higher audio quality, oh yeah reset buttons, wider variety of software support, and of course reset buttons (but oh god forbid those be on ipods b/c apple can do no wrong, follow them like wmindless drones we should)

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
I think the market has spoken on the iPod. More features doesn't mean better. There is a simple way to reset an iPod, you don't need a button just for this.

If there ever is an iPhone, I'll wait to see what features it has. But if it has anything close I'd get it in a minute. No other manufacturer (especially Palm) has anything like the designs that come out of Apple. And yes, I use Macs and love them.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I think the market has spoken on the iPod. More features doesn't mean better.
I have to agree. I've become heartily disenchanted with the whole drag-and-drop, nerver-ending refilling of the miniSD card on my E61 and have been looking around for a small, high capacity flash player. The choice seems to come down to an 8 GB Nano and the Sansa E280 (also 8 GB). On the face of it the E280 seems to compare pretty favourably with the iPod because it has a bunch of additional features. Thing is most of these are completely useless to me:

1) Voice recorder. Every PDA and smartphone I've owned in the last five years has had this capacity and I've used it in anger precisely zero times.

2) Plays videos. On a 1.8" screen? Pointless.

3) FM tuner. I'd guess about 10% of my radio listening is to FM stations so this is of very limited value to me. Anyway, the EU model lacks the radio so I'd have to import to get this.

4) Micro SD slot. This is the one feature I'd value because it would allow the capacity to be bumped to 10 GB (possibly more in the future - max supported is unclear).

And the price you pay for these mostly dubious features? The E280 is wider, twice as thick and 75% heavier than the Nano! Sandisk also seem to have skimped in a crucial area: there are quite a few reports that the navigation wheel is loose and also gets stuck (great combo, guys!). They also might have spent more time on design/R&D: several reviews comment on how the nav wheel interferes with pushing the selection buttons. FFS, just get the basics right and make a great music player! I could just about live without iTunes integration if the device were really compelling. Sandisk, if it has to be twice as thick as the competition, why not scale down the screen, rip out the mic and the card slot and bung in another eight gigs of flash? That and sort out the controls and perhaps get a copy of "Indusrial Design for Dummies" and you might get my money. As it stands though I'll be picking up a Nano in the next couple of weeks (unless Macworld springs a pleasant surprise :)).

There is a simple way to reset an iPod, you don't need a button just for this.
Yep:

https://support.apple.com/ipod

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
On the other hand, Sandisk's advertising does have a sort of brutal charm:

3321-e280.jpg

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Actually, I've noticed now that both on this page and the trustedreviews page the image only appears (in Safari or Firefox on a Mac) if ad blocking is turned off. I'll describe it for you: E200 series device hanging round the neck of a large-breasted woman with a low cut top. Subtle it ain't - it doesn't even include her head!

YoungTurk

Oct 8, 2003
Visit site
As a long-time Mac user, and a former Treo 600 and now Treo 650 owner since Dec. 2004, and now out-of-contract with Sprint, I've purposefully not purchased any phone or extended with Sprint or signed on with any new carrier because I'm waiting for Apple's phone. I'm almost assured of buying one the moment it comes out, provided the carrier it chooses has good coverage in my area.

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
Yes, assuming it has bluetooth, contacts, calendar, email, and a web browser I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Other features would be nice also but the basics implemented correctly are the key. I'll note that Nokia is using a new excellent browser on their new phones that is based on code from Safari the web browser on Mac OS X.