Apple iPad Air Screen Protector: Is it Necessary?

Grgl

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I have used screen protectors on my iphones and ipads and have ordered one for the ipad air I just bought.
I use the Moshi screen protector because it is easy to install and will not have any bubbles.
All the screen protectors will degrade the screen regardless of what they claim. It's just a matter what you can tolerate and also whether you use it in the bright daylight. They will help cut some of the glare.
The reason I use screen protectors is two fold. One, since these are mobile devices they go everywhere. I can tend to drop things, hit them on counters or corners, or just have an accident. The screen protector has always saved me. I also use my ipad when eating and don't have to worry about messy things getting on the screen. If you are not careful, when cleaning a bare screen, you can scratch it. With the protector, I just wipe it off. Also if kids are going to use ipad, they always seem to have messy fingers.
The other reason is that I cycle my phone and ipad. Every two years I upgrade. I then sell my old equipment. The amount you get when selling is dependent on condition of device. I just sold my iphone 4 which was in pristine condition and received top dollar because of condition. I feel that the protector was a good investment when comparing the different offers based on condition.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I put a screen protector on my Air, mostly for anti-glare and to change the feel/texture of the screen. The glass on the Air is extremely shiny and reflective and prone to pretty bad glare.

I bought a 2-pack of Tech Armor HD Anti-glare /anti-fingerprint screen protectors off Amazon. I use the same ones on my iPhone, and my girlfriend uses them on her iPhone and iPad Air as well. The matte finish makes the surface feel much smoother, and sliding fingers across the screen is a much better experience versus the naked screen, in my opinion.

Between the reduction in glare, and the smoother feel on the screen... The added protection is just a bonus. Haha

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had my iPad 2 since s Sept 2011 and used a screen protector for about 6 months. It started to peel off so I just removed it and never replaced it.
The screen still looks 100%
I think a iPad screen doesn't get as much finger time like a phone.
A phone without a screen protector over the course of time is in and out of a pocket, purse, being held up to a face and just handled more than a iPad.
I'm surprised how good the screen looks on my iPad after 2 plus years.

#Naked Tuesday

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
That's interesting. I've always thought the glass felt much smoother than any screen protector. It's good we all have choices though.

Under any other circumstances, I'd agree with you 100%

Try the Tech Armor screen protectors. The Anti-Glare Anti-fingerprint ones they sell are the smoothest I've ever felt... and they are cheap.

Recipe7

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Anti-Glare always means Matte, am I right?

Seems that Matt makes the iPad screens, or any screen for that matter, grainy.

chazmink

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I just got my Moshi ivisor AG today and I think it is great. A fringe benefit is that I got black to convert my 128gb silver iPad Air to one with a black bezel which I prefer. The white home button looks pretty sharp as well.

Tre

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Depends if you care about resale value. I've put PowerSupport crystal films on all my iPhones and iPad. Definitely worth it.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I have never used one on any of my iPads and I won't either on this one. Never have scratched any. I believe they are a waste of money.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have never used one on any of my iPads and I won't either on this one. Never have scratched any. I believe they are a waste of money.
Some believe they are a waste of money. However, after scratching my first iPad I like the added protection that they offer. I have my new Moshi screen protector sitting here waiting to be applied but I can't take my iPad Air out of the original plastic wrap until my case arrives.

Danny8200

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm usually pretty careful with my stuff so i've never used a screen protector for any of my iPad's. Only on my iPhones.

Peter Cotton

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently testing a screen protector that Anker sent me to review. So far, so good. Installation was surprisingly easy, no bubbles which is a deal breaker for me. I'll post a full review in a week of so!

theshark545

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I am using with all my devices anti glare matte protector - iPad, iPhone, iPod. I love the feeling of it and the anti glare is wonderful and it saved my screens several time from scratches and being broken.
Here is a link to the ipad product, it is very cheap
[redacted]

Last edited by a moderator:

P@t

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Probably don't need one, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have one on. If you're prone to dropping things, a good screen protector can help against cracking, shattering along with a decent case.

Choose a good quality, clear screen protector. One that doesn't distort or alter the retina screen.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Can't say they are good or bad, it's matter of choice. Protection is always good, but haven't put one on my ipad yet and it still looks as good as it did the day I took it out of the box.

Recipe7

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I put on a protector I got from Amazon. 7 dollars for two front protectors. It feels like there is no protector on, besides the obvious points around the home button and front camera. Will probably get one for the back at some point soon too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk