Apple iPad Air Screen Protector: Is it Necessary?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That will depend on you. I've owned several laptops and still have my trusty old MacBook, and I've never had a screen protector on any of them. None of them have incurred any damages of any kind thus far.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
A screen protector certainly isn't necessary. However, there are people like me who do use them simply for the added protection that they provide. I use a Moshi screen protector on both my iPhone 5S and new rMBP. I don't see the harm in trying a screen protector out and if you don't like it you can always remove it.

JaenelleMasen

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I keep a screen protector on both my iPhone and my ipad. With all the usage each devices get...I am glad that I do. Sneezing on my ipad, oily fingers and other general usage is a daily occurrence for my I devices. It's easier to replace the screen protector over time than the actual ipad itself. I don't have a screen protector on my MB Pro because my fongers rarely touch the screen.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Like I tell everyone with iPhones. You don't "need" a screen protector. You would be surprised how well the screen holds up if you take care of the device. But if it helps you sleep better at night a screen protector is an extra piece of mind

JaenelleMasen

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
One less thing to lose sleep over is a plus! We have enough issues in all aspects of our lives that we lose sleep over. Like, what is the real deal with Obamacare? J/k

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I've put one on all my iPads. I usually just get the ones from Verizon which have worked well for me.

Jerry_

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I've put protector films on all my iPads, as you permanently touch the screen.

While I am not saying that the glass would have been scratched when not doing it, I find that the protecting film is scratched and has to be replaced once a year (this mostly happens when cleaning the screen and there is a small piece of sand or similar present)

Also, the films bring the additional benefit that you can have anti-glare films, which highly improve readibility of the iPad when using it outdoor.

kritter217

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I am usually very OCD about screen protectors. I have had one on each of my iPhones, and on my last iPad. I just got my iPad Air yesterday and the screen is lovely. It is my first time with a Retina display and I am very enamored with it. I bought a Zagg Invisible Shield (which I have used in the past and loved), and applied it last night. I am considering removing it - it is obvious when the display is dark that there is a screen protector on it. With the screen on, it is much less evident but to my picky eye there are places that I can tell. I got the HD kind, and I do have to say that it does not detract from the quality of the screen at all, it is just those little bitty bubbles that never seem to go away that might bother me. As it took some effort to get it installed, I will live with it for a few days and make a final determination later. Here's a question - if I remove the screen protector, what are good products to clean the screen other than a soft cloth?

grassyblue

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I really don't think screen protectors are necessary for iPads, especially if you have something like a Smart Cover. The screens are pretty durable.

JSHidaka

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I've put protector films on all my iPads, as you permanently touch the screen.

While I am not saying that the glass would have been scratched when not doing it, I find that the protecting film is scratched and has to be replaced once a year (this mostly happens when cleaning the screen and there is a small piece of sand or similar present)

Also, the films bring the additional benefit that you can have anti-glare films, which highly improve readibility of the iPad when using it outdoor.

fun, I bought my iPad 2 on release, and I'm still using the same Screen Protector from day 1 :p

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I initially put a screen protector on my ipad3, but tore it away after a week because it made the screen look like crap.

With a cover, your screen should be pretty well protected, and would rarely be in danger of scratching.

Honestly, I would say "Don't bother" and enjoy it for what it is.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen