Apple invention changes iPhone user authentication settings based on location

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

One of the main reasons I jailbroke my iPhone and iPad, apart from a quick reply to text messages (now coming in iOS 8), was for a location based security feature. I found a tweak called Cleverpin that turned off the phone's passcode when attached to my home wifi network and re-enabled the passcode when the wifi was off or I went out of range. It was an elegant solution and I absolutely loved it.

It now seems that Apple have filed a patent for a location based security feature and the article in the link above is an interesting read. Whilst this doubtlessly won't be included in iOS 8 as i'm sure it would have been mentioned at WWDC should it be so, it does bodes well for further iterations in future, I hope.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

One of the main reasons I jailbroke my iPhone and iPad, apart from a quick reply to text messages (now coming in iOS 8), was for a location based security feature. I found a tweak called Cleverpin that turned off the phone's passcode when attached to my home wifi network and re-enabled the passcode when the wifi was off or I went out of range. It was an elegant solution and I absolutely loved it.

It now seems that Apple have filed a patent for a location based security feature and the article in the link above is an interesting read. Whilst this doubtlessly won't be included in iOS 8 as i'm sure it would have been mentioned at WWDC should it be so, it does bodes well for further iterations in future, I hope.

Very interesting, yes. I'm curious to hear more. This was an awesome read, thank you!

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This is similar to those Android beacons where if your phone has activated Bluetooth and is paired with a certain device, your phone will be automatically unlocked upon pairing. I think these things are cool too, and hope to see substantial improvements in location-based security features.

It is the future, baby.

Ariyala

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Wow! This is absolutely awesome! Thank you for the link, it was indeed an interesting read!

On my iPhone, I have the passcode off while at home, but turn it on when I'm at work. For Apple to make this automatic would be wonderful. I'd be surprised if it was included in iOS8, but this just goes to show (at least it shows ME) that there are things out there that will be new to us in the future!! I was beginning to worry just because it seems as though our smartphones can do everything already!

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
This looks to be an awesome feature! I hope they implement it in an upcoming version of iOS. Not having to put my passcode in while I'm home would be great. :)

iwoodland

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Touch I'd is seamless and instant! Why auto unlock needed when at home?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner