Apple employee group has received over 500 stories of abuse in workplace

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Apple employee group #AppleToo says it has received over 500 stories from current and former employees about workplace issues at the company.

Full story from the iMore Blog...

This appears to be yet another tactic to pressure Apple into letting employees work from home full time. If Apple had simply allowed them do that, I’m willing to bet we wouldn’t be hearing anything even close to abuse in the workplace, but that’s Just Me, D….;)

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
This appears to be yet another tactic to pressure Apple into letting employees work from home full time. If Apple had simply allowed them do that, I’m willing to bet we wouldn’t be hearing anything even close to abuse in the workplace, but that’s Just Me, D….;)

I agree. I’m sure, in todays work environment, many people could have easily worked from home. They tried to play hardball but are losing.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Due to my current medical situation, I’m working from home through September. I’ve quickly discovered that I’m getting a lot more done at home without all the office distractions.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Due to my current medical situation, I’m working from home through September. I’ve quickly discovered that I’m getting a lot more done at home without all the office distractions.

I think a lot of individuals and companies are discovering the same thing. It may mean happier employees and a higher retention also.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I think a lot of individuals and companies are discovering the same thing. It may mean happier employees and a higher retention also.

Yes, many companies are discovering their business can still thrive with employees working from home, but not all companies. Furthermore, it is still at the companies’ discretion to have employees work from home. Working from home “as an employee” is a benefit, not a right.

For every employee who demands to work from home, there’s an applicant waiting for the opportunity to simply work and some companies will hire them to replace those who opt to comply with a mandate to return to the office. Other companies will cater. Either way, it’s a gamble for the employee more than for companies, in my opinion.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Yes, many companies are discovering their business can still thrive with employees working from home, but not all companies. Furthermore, it is still at the companies’ discretion to have employees work from home. Working from home “as an employee” is a benefit, not a right.

For every employee who demands to work from home, there’s an applicant waiting for the opportunity to simply work and some companies will hire them to replace those who opt to comply with a mandate to return to the office. Other companies will cater. Either way, it’s a gamble for the employee more than for companies, in my opinion.

There are, of course, various scenarios which make working from home either possible or not. I work in healthcare in a hospital and certainly cannot work from home. Other people absolutely can and may find it preferable.

As far as people demanding to work from home (maybe prefer is a better and more accurate word), firing them is not the answer. When you have an employee that is doing a good job, is well liked and trusted and is producing for the company you don’t just fire them. The cost of retraining someone new, building trust and hoping they will perform as well is very costly. If even partially allowing them to work from home creates both consistent positive results and retention, any company worth their salt will at least consider it.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
For every employee who demands to work from home, there’s an applicant waiting for the opportunity to simply work and some companies will hire them to replace those who opt to comply with a mandate to return to the office.

I disagree. We’re not getting many applicants, and of the ones we are getting, 1/2 of them aren’t qualified.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I disagree. We’re not getting many applicants, and of the ones we are getting, 1/2 of them aren’t qualified.

That’s in your specific occupational field and I’m sure there are others that are similar, however, we can’t discard those who are able to hire qualified applicants, especially one prestigious as Apple.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There are, of course, various scenarios which make working from home either possible or not. I work in healthcare in a hospital and certainly cannot work from home. Other people absolutely can and may find it preferable.

As far as people demanding to work from home (maybe prefer is a better and more accurate word), firing them is not the answer. When you have an employee that is doing a good job, is well liked and trusted and is producing for the company you don’t just fire them. The cost of retraining someone new, building trust and hoping they will perform as well is very costly. If even partially allowing them to work from home creates both consistent positive results and retention, any company worth their salt will at least consider it.

Is that not what Apple presented - for employees to work at the office 3 of the 5 work days? Is that not considered “partially” working from home? Some of the employees rejected it.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Is that not what Apple presented - for employees to work at the office 3 of the 5 work days? Is that not considered “partially” working from home? Some of the employees rejected it.

In this scenario (I was speaking in general terms) I would say that is certainly acceptable. That is what I meant by partially.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice