Apple Collects the Least Amount of User Data Out of Major Tech Companies, Google the Most.

Feb 4, 2023
Visit site
Agreed D. While I still think Apple Maps is just a hair or probably two below Google Maps, Apple Maps is now very good. The difference, for me, is all but negligible. Apple Maps 100% now.
(Upgrading to 14 PM from 11 was a huge battery difference. I haven’t used my car navigation since though I’ll go to it if needed).

I’m going to have to disagree. While it’s better lately, Apple Maps is nowhere near as useful as Google maps. It gives much more information and is more precise. I’ll give one example: gas stations. They’ll both get you there but Google tells you the prices so you can find the least expensive one. That’s extremely useful.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m going to have to disagree. While it’s better lately, Apple Maps is nowhere near as useful as Google maps. It gives much more information and is more precise. I’ll give one example: gas stations. They’ll both get you there but Google tells you the prices so you can find the least expensive one. That’s extremely useful.

The precise part is debatable, especially in my experience, but everyone’s experience will be different. Google Maps is still king overall, but Apple Maps - in regard to my usage - has progressed to the point of me not needing Google Maps. In fact, I haven’t had it installed on my iPhone is quite some time. Again, everyone’s use case will be different.

Feb 4, 2023
Visit site
The precise part is debatable, especially in my experience, but everyone’s experience will be different. Google Maps is still king overall, but Apple Maps - in regard to my usage - has progressed to the point of me not needing Google Maps. In fact, I haven’t had it installed on my iPhone is quite some time. Again, everyone’s use case will be different.

Totally agree. I use it 80-90% of the time. It gets the job done.

The nice thing about Apple is I have the overall security I demand. By only using Google devices when I need (location settings at “while using”) I can essentially turn Google on and off when I please without the constant infringement on my privacy. With an Android device you are under constant surveillance.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
If you are using google hardware or services google is tracking and data mining you in atleast 39 different types of data points.

It’s quite comical and a bit delusional for a google user to believe they can just turn googles data mining and tracking off any time they please.

034cf777928758078b5688350a2863f5.png

1e30cca87bb652b6129f88ebbcdb3cd7.png

9f4ce959e9437e8f22d13ad4fa9d1825.png

Feb 4, 2023
Visit site
If you are using google hardware or services google is tracking and data mining you in atleast 39 different types of data points.

It’s quite comical and a bit delusional for a google user to believe they can just turn googles data mining and tracking off any time they please.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230206/034cf777928758078b5688350a2863f5.png
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230206/1e30cca87bb652b6129f88ebbcdb3cd7.png
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230206/9f4ce959e9437e8f22d13ad4fa9d1825.png

Great point and discussion!

I can certainly see this with an Android phone. What about an iPhone? Are the extra measures helping in any way? I’d love to hear peoples thoughts!

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site

A couple of years ago I gave Apple Maps a try again and was pleasantly surprised (I hadn't used it in several years). It was vastly different than what I remembered (I agree that Google Maps graphics have the edge). After a month or two of AM, I deleted Google Maps. Just for me personally, anything Google I can eliminate I am happy to. My only Google now is Youtube. But as you correctly say, everyone's experience will be different. Google does many apps very good bit I accept I'll have to take a very small step (Apple Maps) or a notable step down (Google Search Engineer vs DDG). For me, I just can't get by the data collection of Google. I am someone who did get a copy of what Google has recorded on me, it was shocking to me that a corporation could have that much detail,

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230206/034cf777928758078b5688350a2863f5.png
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230206/1e30cca87bb652b6129f88ebbcdb3cd7.png
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230206/9f4ce959e9437e8f22d13ad4fa9d1825.png

As usual FFR, great info.
I mentioned in another post, one can see(soft copy) what data Google has collected. I did. What time I did take to review it (it would take a long time, I mean a LONG time), it is obvious WAYYYYY too much information to have. We humans can't remember what we were searching for/were driving/many other things 3 weeks ago and 5 months ago and two years ago. They can to detail and they have the hardware and software to be rolling through it at an epic pace. It is WAYYY too much power to be able to predict behavior. I hope more and more people understand that.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
A couple of years ago I gave Apple Maps a try again and was pleasantly surprised (I hadn't used it in several years). It was vastly different than what I remembered (I agree that Google Maps graphics have the edge). After a month or two of AM, I deleted Google Maps. Just for me personally, anything Google I can eliminate I am happy to. My only Google now is Youtube. But as you correctly say, everyone's experience will be different. Google does many apps very good bit I accept I'll have to take a very small step (Apple Maps) or a notable step down (Google Search Engineer vs DDG). For me, I just can't get by the data collection of Google. I am someone who did get a copy of what Google has recorded on me, it was shocking to me that a corporation could have that much detail,

We are definitely in agreement about Maps and the amount of detailed information Google has on people. It’s scary. If information is indeed power then Google is among the most powerful and they are in bed with government.

In regard to DDG, it does a decent job with searches, but they are not on the level of Google. Every now and then I have to use Google to search for information I really need, especially when I’m pressed for time. Thankfully, those times are infrequently.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
We are definitely in agreement about Maps and the amount of detailed information Google has on people. It’s scary. If information is indeed power then Google is among the most powerful and they are in bed with government.

In regard to DDG, it does a decent job with searches, but they are not on the level of Google. Every now and then I have to use Google to search for information I really need, especially when I’m pressed for time. Thankfully, those times are infrequently.

D, me and you definitely come from the same www mother :). Me too on using Google search every now and then. I won't have it as my default search engine but I'll browse to Google search page when I need the deepest of deep dive searches.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Not to rehash an old thread, but IMHO, Apple Maps has gotten a little better now that they have an offline feature (iOS 17). This is another step in my process of getting away from Google. I still think Google has the edge on maps, and the only thing better would be a full on GPS unit, but AM isn’t too shabby now.

As for what’s left with Google, I still have my email address (which I have forwarded), YouTube TV and YouTube (because some of the churches I work with don’t stream to Facebook). The hardest one to get away from is going to be YTTV. It has all the channels we watch in one package for one price.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It’s not just the 40 data points, but also the amount of data transmitted from an idle android phone to google.

7473c5313cb0e6d7a443974e7f9d1a39.png

No compromises

<quote removed by mod - was a spammer>

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2