Apple Collects the Least Amount of User Data Out of Major Tech Companies, Google the Most.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Damn FFR, I pride myself on being aware of the extreme privacy related data collection that goes on. But it’s so much information out there that I learn something else regularly. Thanks for the info. A quick added read on Google’s Waze(I don’t use it, never even heard of it). Their purchase of Waze and why they paid a whopping 9 figures for it? Not so much for how popular the service versus individuals location data collection bonanza. I then tried reading more on Fog Reveal. Nothing but mentions of an Ubisoft game until I whittled the search down. Took a bit but I got to it, That’s ugly on a massive surveillance scale spanning way outside of corporations into governments (fourth amendment protection be damned, apparently).

Anytime.

That’s the thing about data mining and data breaches, you never know what was taken until it’s used against you, and that takes time.

Feb 4, 2023
Visit site
Ha! Funny. But you may be surprised to find out how many non savvy users don’t know that Google is a personal data recording company that makes software and hardware products.

I actually think most people do know but don’t care. They see it as payment for the services they receive. It’s certainly a personal choice but I’m glad there’s an alternative.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I also deleted Waze at that time,I wish I had not added it in the first place.

Waze is an excellent turn by turn navigation app and I don’t regret using it during the times I did. Apple Maps and the built-in map in my car are all I need now.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
It’s just too bad Google has the best maps service. Probably so they can collect all that data.

Apple Maps is good enough in my area. The only issue I have is that it doesn’t respect my preferred street in/out my neighbourhood. Since that’s the only (major) problem I have with it, I’m not going to complain too much.

The only Google service I can’t get rid of is YouTube. And that’s because it is a social network first and it’s being used because it’s being used.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Google collects data? Who wooda thought?

Not many would have thought that google collects 39 different points of information on its users and shares it with government and law enforcement agencies that have prosecuted innocent google users.

I bet those google users thought it was also fair until they were wrongfully accused.

Feb 4, 2023
Visit site
Not many would have thought that google collects 39 different points of information on its users and shares it with government and law enforcement agencies that have prosecuted innocent google users.

I bet those google users thought it was also fair until they were wrongfully accused.

I use DuckDuckGo as the main browser on my iPad and iPhone. I love to watch it block website requests and Google is always one of them. They shamelessly always have their hand in the cookie jar.

Feb 4, 2023
Visit site
Apple Maps is good enough in my area. The only issue I have is that it doesn’t respect my preferred street in/out my neighbourhood. Since that’s the only (major) problem I have with it, I’m not going to complain too much.

The only Google service I can’t get rid of is YouTube. And that’s because it is a social network first and it’s being used because it’s being used.

YouTube is a very good point. Apple has nothing to match. You can learn how to do anything on YouTube. You can listen to any music on YouTube. It really is awesome. I guess that’s one place where I’ll sacrifice a bit of data.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Only Google services I’m using are Gmail, YouTube TV and Google Maps. And one of the only reasons I’m still using Google Maps is offline maps.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I actually think most people do know but don’t care. They see it as payment for the services they receive. It’s certainly a personal choice but I’m glad there’s an alternative.

Agreed, there are also many people who know but don’t care. It’s the old world human brain not caught up to the new tech age. If you described what Google was doing simply as an unknown corporation person just out of plain view who is following you around to record A thru Z, it would at minimum case concern. But since it’s all done from far away electronically and seemingly normal, it doesn’t set off that concern. Not good imho

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Waze is an excellent turn by turn navigation app and I don’t regret using it during the times I did. Apple Maps and the built-in map in my car are all I need now.

Agreed D. While I still think Apple Maps is just a hair or probably two below Google Maps, Apple Maps is now very good. The difference, for me, is all but negligible. Apple Maps 100% now.
(Upgrading to 14 PM from 11 was a huge battery difference. I haven’t used my car navigation since though I’ll go to it if needed).

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Only Google services I’m using are Gmail, YouTube TV and Google Maps. And one of the only reasons I’m still using Google Maps is offline maps.

Surprisingly, according to a site I frequent that follows privacy related issues, YouTube has one of the better if not best Google brand EULAs.
Overall it is hard to avoid YT. It’s an excellent content site. But that even kinda extends to Gmail and Maps. Google does put out among the best or best apps in a number of categories. But I can’t get by maps and gmail’s EULAs. It is public enemy #1 for recording one’s words and actions.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Agreed D. While I still think Apple Maps is just a hair or probably two below Google Maps, Apple Maps is now very good. The difference, for me, is all but negligible. Apple Maps 100% now.
(Upgrading to 14 PM from 11 was a huge battery difference. I haven’t used my car navigation since though I’ll go to it if needed).

No doubt about it. My gripe with Maps is aesthetically. The content appears cramped in comparison to Google’s. As for directions, 3D view, traffic information, etc., Maps is excellent.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods