• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Apple blasted over lack of child exploitation prevention days after scrapping controversial CSAM pla

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Here we are again….letting parents off the hook and placing blame on entities like Apple. In fact, I heard a news story the other day about a family suing Fortnite because the kids were playing it so much that they weren’t even taking baths or something like that. All I could do was shake my head in disgust.

Last edited:

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Excellent replies in this thread. Yep, Apple is damned either way and parents are let off the hook. On the latter, Parental controls makes it so easy to control your child's iPhone access. Who texts, what websites, when calling is allowed. It is easy enough that this is just pure laziness to give your child an iPhone and not employ these controls.
If one hears "it's for the children" be weary that something is coming to take away your freedom. The phrase is use as a bludgeon now. IMHO this is much along the lines of AirTag. An AirTag can be used by someone who is disturbed so we must all be restricted from it. Wrong! If someone disturbed is the segue to controlling our behavior then we might as well accept greater and greater behavioral control is coming.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Excellent replies in this thread. Yep, Apple is damned either way and parents are let off the hook. On the latter, Parental controls makes it so easy to control your child's iPhone access. Who texts, what websites, when calling is allowed. It is easy enough that this is just pure laziness to give your child an iPhone and not employ these controls.
If one hears "it's for the children" be weary that something is coming to take away your freedom. The phrase is use as a bludgeon now. IMHO this is much along the lines of AirTag. An AirTag can be used by someone who is disturbed so we must all be restricted from it. Wrong! If someone disturbed is the segue to controlling our behavior then we might as well accept greater and greater behavioral control is coming.

Nuf said, and as always you are spot-on… :)

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
So how exactly is Apple supposed to scan for these types of items when they just rolled out an advanced data protection system that encrypts all stored data so even Apple can’t see it?

I’ve said it before here and on other forums, and I’ll say it again:

A PERSON IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR OWN ACTIONS!!!!

At least, once they reach 18. Prior to that, PARENTS are responsible for their child’s actions, NOT the tech company that you give your child unrestricted (and unmonitored) access to.

WTF happen to common sense??????

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Some people just refuse to accept fault and correct their actions, so instead, they will point blame at someone/something else to deflect.

I really don’t want to know how the generation of people born within the last 5 years, moving forward to 15/20 years from now will be like.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So how exactly is Apple supposed to scan for these types of items when they just rolled out an advanced data protection system that encrypts all stored data so even Apple can’t see it?

I’ve said it before here and on other forums, and I’ll say it again:

A PERSON IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR OWN ACTIONS!!!!

At least, once they reach 18. Prior to that, PARENTS are responsible for their child’s actions, NOT the tech company that you give your child unrestricted (and unmonitored) access to.

WTF happen to common sense??????

It’s the result of numerous societal changes.

Creating safe zones on college campuses that allow students to remove themselves from speech they don’t like.

Giving a name to every naughty behavior and thus giving the impression it’s beyond one’s control.

A myriad of songs promoting the use of drugs and thus resulting in kids ignoring its dangers.

Convincing people there’s no right or wrong and that it’s all about what feels good and what doesn’t.

….just to make a few…..(laughing)

Last edited:

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Some people just refuse to accept fault and correct their actions, so instead, they will point blame at someone/something else to deflect.

I really don’t want to know how the generation of people born within the last 5 years, moving forward to 15/20 years from now will be like.

Well said Pink, I agree.
I just try to believe that if just a small percentage of the newer generation holds onto these important fundamentals, these important fundamentals are not dead. And if they’re not dead they can eventually spread again at a higher rate to the following generations. (at least it’s what I like to believe:)).

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
It’s the result of numerous societal changes.

Creating safe zones on college campuses that allows student to remove themselves from speech they don’t like.

Giving a name to every naughty behavior and thus giving the impression it’s beyond one’s control.

A myriad of songs promoting the use of drugs and thus resulting in kids ignoring it dangers.

Convincing people there’s no right or wrong and that it’s all about what feels good and what doesn’t.

….just to make a few…..(laughing)

Yep, many the things you listed Just_Me_D have led to the result of the FBI/gov actually convincing a fair amount of people that their privacy must be ignored for their own safety (though regarding the reference to drugs — many years ago unfortunately I was a part of that culture. Fortunately I grew out of it as I believe most do).

The only thing I’d suggest? much of what you listed comes from a single top line item that has permeated IMHO too much of social thinking: avoid (what I’ll call) ‘unhappy results’ at ALL cost. Hey, nobody likes ‘unhappy results’ but life, with 100% certainty, will sometimes deal you that hand, occasionally starkly so. It will happen, period. Humans have got to be exposed to it from formative years onward, exposed to failure, to emotional pain, hurt, loss etc. I know it ‘sucks’ putting it that way but these things are going to happen to everyone throughout their lives. So ultimately any plan that says “you never lose”, to be shielded from actions/bad behavior ramifications, to twist or give up nearly anything to avoid ‘unhappy results’ — that is creating someone who is maladjusted to life. Again, creating someone who will give up their freedoms if you just keep from ‘unhappy results’

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nomoreimore