Apple’s iPhone overtakes Android with more than half of the US market share

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
You're right regarding midrange phones. However, I just had a look at Apple's official site. The cheapest iPhone is the 11, starting at $499. That's definitely not the $100 cheap no name Android.

No US carriers currently sell anything from Sony, and that's how Americans typically buy their phones (unless they go to an Apple Store or a Best Buy). The only US carrier that sells OnePlus is T-Mobile. Another issue is that other than Apple and Samsung, many factory unlocked phones don't support the radio bands for all carriers. Therefore, whether cheap or expensive, those are the only two brands guaranteed to work. Even the Google Pixels have differences between the Verizon model and the unlocked Google model. If someone had something else, switched carriers and found out whatever they had previously couldn't be used, then they will probably play it safe and go with Apple or Samsung. Again, if they don't want Samsung then Apple is the only option. So I'd say that the carriers are another reason for the Apple/Samsung de facto duopoly in the USA.

The Pixel devices are more in the mid-range than flagship for the most part. We'll see what pricing of the new Pixel 7 line is like and if Verizon devices are different yet again.

Nokia hasn't ever been relevant in the USA other than feature phones. The Symbian devices never sold well here. Back when Symbian was popular in Europe, the popular smartphones here were running PalmOS, Windows Mobile and Blackberry.

Well, you can trade in your old phone with Apple and not pay $499. You can quickly bring that $499 down to something very manageable.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
@FFR "Ultra premium" is something that I've never seen before. What would be considered mid-range and budget by the site you mentioned?

Budget in the low price segment
Mid range in the mid price segment
Premium and ultra premium in the high price segment.
a54ae7475fc06d3470d74edb403e82f7.jpg

Sometimes there is also an affordable premium tier.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
So, out of Apple’s current line-up of phones what (in your opinion) would be considered…

budget
midrange
premium
ultra premium

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
It’s my market talk FFR :). Earnings = profit, revenue = all sales/gross income.
Revenue is a good number (Wall Street loves it) but I prefer earnings especially keeping earnings up as well as stable earnings margins. On revenue, if the cost to do business/get sales (revenue) repeatedly equals a low earnings percentage, especially a downward trend, I take that as a worrying sign that competition is forcing you into an unfavorable pricing corner. It seems that’s what your Samsung information is suggesting.

(A bit off topic: As I’ve said before here, make a one time down payment to purchase Apple stock. Now let your gains pay for your Apple purchases. Own Apple on both ends and let one take care of the other :) ).

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
So, out of Apple’s current line-up of phones what (in your opinion) would be considered…

budget (Apple doesn’t have a budget phone, imho)
midrange (the SE, top of midrange maybe last year’s base IPhone model)
premium (all new iPhones)
ultra premium (hmm, maybe the pro or pro max with higher end storage spec. But Samsung’s Folds imho are the ultra premium. But these are all my guesses).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2