App suggestions?

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Ok guys! Most of you probably know by now that iam new to ios. Iam finding the app store to feel as though it does not have alot of apps. It felt there was way more apps to chose from in the google play store.

I can only assume i need to use the search and be more specific with what iam looking for?

Iam interested in knowing what are your must have apps and what apps do you recommend over the stock apps?

Iam not a huge fan of the gallery/photo app nor the mail app so really want to download alternatives but i want something thats simplistic and doesnt have too many features i will never use and thus arguably being a bigger battery drain!

And beyond those two apps. What are your must have apps ? I always love discovering apps that can be useful :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The App Store has a couple million apps. They just don't showcase that many. Use the search feature. Specific apps or if you want to browse a category.
My favorite email client is Email.
Email - Edison Mail by Edison Software Inc.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/email-edison-mail/id922793622?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

I prefer Google Maps over Apple Maps.
For photos and videos, I use cloud based apps like Box and Dropbox. Google Photos is good. If you want a nice local photo album app, MyPics is a good one.
MyPics - A Powerful PhotoAlbum by Naia Inc.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mypics-a-powerful-photoalbum/id504793067?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

What else interests you?

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
There are plenty of great apps for iOS.
I would recommend checking out AirMail, Google Maps, Fantastical 2, Todoist, and Tapatalk.
What kind of apps do you have in mind? Productivity?

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Lots of great apps out there. I like Outlook for email; Dark Sky and CARROT for weather; Flipboard, NY Times, and New Yorker for news; Halide and VSCO for photography; Google photos; and Overcast for podcasts.

As TripleOne stated, Todoist and Fantastical 2 are also excellent apps, and I appreciate Feedly and IFTTT as well.

What kind of apps are you looking for?

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks guys. Ill check some of those out! I really just wanted a good mail app! I dont like the stock mail app. I tried edison and it seems ok but it has a few too many features which makes it feel a little more bloated then i would like. I want something thats lite , quick and looks good! I dont need any 'cool' features as i literally only use mail just to check emails from time to time.

I also would like a gallery app. On my android i had one that would auto rotate in landscape regardless of the system setting which was handy. I tried google photos and its ok but the photos seemed all over the place! Ideally i want any photos taken with the camera to be automatically saved to one folder while any i download would be saved to another and any sent through whatsapp saved to another and so forth. With the stock app it just seems to save everything together so when i go in to camera roll i have every single photo mixed in and no order to them.

Apart from that iam just open to suggestions on apps that might be useful to have! Could do with maybe finding a good sports app for checking soccer results on premier league/ champions league football etc

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Honestly I’ve tried so many mail apps paid and free and always end up back at the stock app. It really is much better for me than anything else I’ve tried.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The Apps are of good quality and so many to chose from. I recommend you read the description before downloading as there are multiple versions of what your looking for

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
I use Airmail and it's fantastic.

Airmail seems to be the most recommended but i really only check mail from time to time so not sure iam willing to drop 6 bucks on it! Spark seems to be ok for a free app so am test trialing that at the moment :) Now i need to find a good gallery app :)

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Airmail seems to be the most recommended but i really only check mail from time to time so not sure iam willing to drop 6 bucks on it! Spark seems to be ok for a free app so am test trialing that at the moment :) Now i need to find a good gallery app :)

It’s expensive, but it is one of the best email app out there IMO.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You say you don't want all the bells and whistles, so why do you not like the stock Mail app? While I like Email, my go to is stock. It offers all I need, and I really like the VIP feature.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If it would only give Gmail push notifications. :(

You can set it to Fetch every 15 minutes. I have 4 Gmail, all set to Fetch every hour. It appears that in iOS 11, you can set Fetch to "Automatically". While not "push", it's said to be just as immediate. I'm not on iOS 11, so I haven't tested that.

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Anyone know if there is a gallery app / photo organiser that will basically auto create folders? For example , any photos that are taken with the camera will naturally have their own folder while any photo's i download from the internet etc would automatically go in to another folder and same for whatsapp, viber and so forth! Iam not liking the stock gallery app at all and its a bit of an annoyance having to manually create folder and manually go though all your photos and add them to different folders! Google photo's is not what iam after either! Anyone know of an alternative?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Anyone know if there is a gallery app / photo organiser that will basically auto create folders? For example , any photos that are taken with the camera will naturally have their own folder while any photo's i download from the internet etc would automatically go in to another folder and same for whatsapp, viber and so forth! Iam not liking the stock gallery app at all and its a bit of an annoyance having to manually create folder and manually go though all your photos and add them to different folders! Google photo's is not what iam after either! Anyone know of an alternative?

Check out Zyl. It sounds like it might work for you. It can organize photos using the metadata.

Also, for a news app Heartfeed. It scrolls vertically through news sources and horizontally for posts from each source. It's probably the app I use more than any other. It's similar to Feedmesh on Android, but much better.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
You can set it to Fetch every 15 minutes. I have 4 Gmail, all set to Fetch every hour. It appears that in iOS 11, you can set Fetch to "Automatically". While not "push", it's said to be just as immediate. I'm not on iOS 11, so I haven't tested that.

I tried the “automatically” fetch option for a few days and it’ll only fetch immediately if the device has enough battery life and is connected to WiFi.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen