App Store

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,
I currently have 31 apps installed on my phone. Those 31 apps also appear in iTunes on my PC. When I changed my email, the apps are no longer in the App Store on my phone.
The only ones that appear are the ones that got updated.
If I log into my old email in iTunes on my phone. Everything is in place, with the exception of the one app I recently purchased.
I did a restore and backed up from iTunes, nothing changed.
What I am puzzled about. In iTunes on my PC the apps followed my email changes.
Yet, on my phone, they did not. Shouldn't the apps follow your phone no matter the email? Thanks

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If I'm understanding you correctly, what you're seeing is not unusual, especially if you use separate Apple IDs to make purchases. The apps that you currently have on your device will remain on your device if you logout of the App Store and login with a different Apple ID, however, you may not be able to update those apps until you log back in with the Apple ID that was used to download/purchase them. Furthermore, the apps that are listed in the "purchased" section of the App Store will disappear if you login with another Apple ID. I hope that made sense. I'm watching NCAA basketball (NC vs Oakland).

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
If I'm understanding you correctly, what you're seeing is not unusual, especially if you use separate Apple IDs to make purchases. The apps that you currently have on your device will remain on your device if you logout of the App Store and login with a different Apple ID, however, you may not be able to update those apps until you log back in with the Apple ID that was used to download/purchase them. Furthermore, the apps that are listed in the "purchased" section of the App Store will disappear if you login with another Apple ID. I hope that made sense. I'm watching NCAA basketball (NC vs Oakland).

It makes sense if you look at it from Apples perspective, on how they do it.
But it would be a shame if you close an email account.
That would mean you would lose access to those apps.
Thanks much JustMe, and good luck. 😊

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It makes sense if you look at it from Apples perspective, on how they do it.
But it would be a shame if you close an email account.
That would mean you would lose access to those apps.
Thanks much JustMe, and good luck. 

Are you aware that you can CHANGE the email address associated with your iTunes account? On your computer, go to iTunes > Store > View Account and log in. In the Account Information page under the Apple ID Summary, the first thing listed is your email address... click the EDIT link on the right side of the page and change it.

However, you cannot use an email address that is associated with another iTunes account... they must be unique.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Are you aware that you can CHANGE the email address associated with your iTunes account? On your computer, go to iTunes > Store > View Account and log in. In the Account Information page under the Apple ID Summary, the first thing listed is your email address... click the EDIT link on the right side of the page and change it.

However, you cannot use an email address that is associated with another iTunes account... they must be unique.

Yes I do. At least as of yesterday I did. Thanks

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Good morning all
Here is what I learned, and I am sure most of you know or found out like me, the hard way.
I spoke with a very nice Apple support person, and did some web browsing.
When you buy an iPhone, you create an Apple ID/primary email.
You also have to create an iCloud account, which you need to purchase content on iTunes.
That Apple ID/ primary email is associated with your iCloud email.
If you change your Apple ID/ email, you cannot merge your content to the new email.
All your content you bought with the ID you created when you activated your iPhone, is associated with your iCloud address.
I found this article which explains it for newbies like me.
And I have to say I agree with the headaches associated with your Apple ID.
I am not a big app person, and I also don't have a lot of content purchased.
But I do feel bad for those that need to sever their account for one reason or another.
And I am sure some have a lot more content than my petty 30 apps. 😉
You also have to be careful not to completely remove your old Apple ID, when you create your new one.
You will need the old ID when the updates come for the apps, that you purchased with that ID.
IMHO, if Apple won't let you merge your content into the new email, that's fine.
But when you go to change your Apple ID/email, there should at least be a pop up window explaining the repercussions associated with changing your ID.
Also, when you go into iTunes. All your content is in place.
I know it is reading the phones serial number, even though the email is different.
How hard can it be, when you sync your phone in iTunes for the first time under the new email. That it also can sync your content back to the App Store in your device?
http://www.macworld.com/article/2047157/the-problem-with-apple-ids.html
Sorry for the long email, I just wanted to update what I found. Have a great day all. 😊

Last edited:

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Joe, thanks for sharing your experience. Yes you cannot merge two Apple IDs, like the article says.

I think as we have discussed off line, your case was different where you wanted to change your Apple ID to a different one. This does not or should not result in two different Apple IDs. As I mentioned before I changed my Google Apple ID to Outlook and all my apps purchased with the Google ID is showing under my Outlook ID and my Google one does not exist.

Here is what you could do if the dual Apple ID becomes bothersome - if you have bought or downloaded only a couple of Apps with your Google one, then get them again with your Outlook one and keep that as your primary ID.

If you want to switch to a different Apple ID, give Apple a call and they will walk you through how and in what places to change it properly so that you don't end up with two Apple IDs again.

Hope that makes sense. Sorry that you are having south trouble with this.

Good luck. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have 2 Apple ID's. One for iTunes and one for iCloud.
I go back to Mac.com and Me.com. But before that my Apple ID was just for iTunes. I think I prefer to keep them separate because if my iCloud password was compromised purchases can't be made on iTunes.
If I set up a device as new I have to put in my iTunes Apple ID then after it's set up I have to delete that ID as a iCloud account and put input my true ICloud account info.
Changing my iTunes Apple ID email has no effect on iCloud.
I guess for someone new to Apple they can not set up a iTunes account without setting up iCloud?
When Apple changed to iCloud. I had to update my Mac from OSX Snow leopard to OSX Lion because my Me.com email wouldn't be delivered to a Snow leopard computer.

#Naked Tuesday

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Joe, thanks for sharing your experience. Yes you cannot merge two Apple IDs, like the article says.

I think as we have discussed off line, your case was different where you wanted to change your Apple ID to a different one. This does not or should not result in two different Apple IDs. As I mentioned before I changed my Google Apple ID to Outlook and all my apps purchased with the Google ID is showing under my Outlook ID and my Google one does not exist.

Here is what you could do if the dual Apple ID becomes bothersome - if you have bought or downloaded only a couple of Apps with your Google one, then get them again with your Outlook one and keep that as your primary ID.

If you want to switch to a different Apple ID, give Apple a call and they will walk you through how and in what places to change it properly so that you don't end up with two Apple IDs again.

Hope that makes sense. Sorry that you are having south trouble with this.

Good luck. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Thanks Charlyee,
Unfortunately, your apps are stuck with whatever ID you purchased them with.
Another words, all the apps that are in my phone. I purchased them with the Outlook ID. If you delete one of the apps, or go to the App Store to install it again.
It does not go into the App Store under your new ID.
I don't understand how your apps followed the new ID. Apple was very adamant last night, saying you cannot. But I guess it is what it is. I do find as said in the article you "just can't do that" more so with Apple. 😊

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Charlyee,
Unfortunately, your apps are stuck with whatever ID you purchased them with.
Another words, all the apps that are in my phone. I purchased them with the Outlook ID. If you delete one of the apps, or go to the App Store to install it again.
It does not go into the App Store under your new ID.
I don't understand how your apps followed the new ID. Apple was very adamant last night, saying you cannot. But I guess it is what it is. I do find as said in the article you "just can't do that" more so with Apple. 😊
Joe I believe we are still not on the same page. There is a big difference between what you did and what I did., so let me try it once more.

I changed my Apple ID so all the apps that I purchased under my first ID are now associated with the new one, and I have only one valid and functional Apple ID

You created another Apple ID, so you basically have two active Apple IDs, with apps bought with both. Thes two Apple IDs cannot be merged as Apple verified.

I am not sure if you skipped over my solution in the last post, do take a look. Depending on the number of apps you bought with your new app, this should work.

In a nutshell, you created another Apple ID instead of changing your existing one.

Hope it's clear this time, if not I give up. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Joe I believe we are still not on the same page. There is a big difference between what you did and what I did., so let me try it once more.

I changed my Apple ID so all the apps that I purchased under my first ID are now associated with the new one, and I have only one valid and functional Apple ID

You created another Apple ID, so you basically have two active Apple IDs, with apps bought with both. Thes two Apple IDs cannot be merged as Apple verified.

I am not sure if you skipped over my solution in the last post, do take a look. Depending on the number of apps you bought with your new app, this should work.

In a nutshell, you created another Apple ID instead of changing your existing one.

Hope it's clear this time, if not I give up. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see what you're saying. But I did change my Apple ID under manage your ID.
I spent a total of 2 hours on the phone with Apple.
I gave up on them. I will keep both ID'S and live it.

Update: From the request of my friend Charlyee. She asked me to post a closure. I call it an acceptance. 😬
I am going to treat this as my previous Android and Windows phone, you need a separate ID.
I will keep two email ID'S. Since all but one of my apps are with Outlook, and it is also associated with iCloud.
I will use that for syncing, back ups, and purchases.
And my Gmail ID, I will keep that for my primary email. Thanks again everyone.

Last edited: