App Store 1 billion DL count down

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
So sitting here watching the counter crawl toward 1 billion I was thinking exactly what are the full rules for the contest. I thought it was random drawing since they say you can enter 25 times a day by downloading an app. After reading I found this;

Sweepstakes. Sponsor is the sole judging organization whose decisions as to the operation of the Sweepstakes and the selection of the potential winner are final and binding in all matters related to the Promotion. The prize will be awarded for the entry (either through an app download or through the non-purchase online entry) sent immediately following the download of the 999,999,999th app. The potential winner will be determined by the order of the entries received. In the event that more than one entrant would be a winner based on the simultaneous timing of entries, one entrant will be randomly selected from those entrants as the winner. Each entrant?s chances of winning are dependent upon the number of eligible entries received.

Am I reading that right? How could you enter 25 times a day if the prize is "awarded for the entry sent immediately following the dowload of the 999,999,999th app."

It's not a big deal but it's kinda lame if it was all just a ploy to get DL's moving to hit the milestone faster.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I know that there was a chance to win by filling out a form. You didn't actually need to download an app to be qualified to win.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I know there is the form you can fill out, but I don't see why you can't just dl any free app instead. "The prize will be awarded for the entry (either through an app download or through the non-purchase online entry) sent immediately following the download of the 999,999,999th app." So you really only win for being the 1 billionth app downloader.

Why then are you limted to 25 entries per day, there is only one chance to win.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
If you keep reading the rules, you'll see this

In the event that a potential winner is disqualified for any reason, Sponsor may award the applicable prize to an alternate winner by random drawing from among all remaining eligible entries.

I believe this is the situation in which having 25 entries per day will benifit

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Glad I wasn't the only one going on a download bonaza. I did find a few neat keepers though, still going through them to clean up my app library.