• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

App Review: Threes!, by Sirvo LLC

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
[URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/threes!/id779157948?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4&at=10l3Vy]Threes![/URL], by Sirvo LLC
$2.99, *****

Pros:

• Easy to pick up, yet addicting to try to beat your high score
  • Simple game play can be learned by anyone
  • Games are usually short ? 3 to 5 minutes or so
Cons:

• Sometimes it requires a bit of a ?refresher? to remember techniques if you haven?t play in a while

I think my favorite app category are casual games. Often times I am too busy to spend long periods of time playing games, and the ?freemium? games where you need to check your farms or castles or dragons every three hours just get tiring. Casual games should be flexible enough that you can play for a few minutes, or for extended periods of time. The real question is if the games are good enough to allow that flexibility.

Photo Dec 11, 2 07 09 PM.jpg
Figure 1. A straightforward tutorial gets you playing quickly! Simply slide the tiles around, making multiples of "3" by sliding identical tiles into each other.

Conceptually, Threes is a simple game ? slide tiles of identical values together to create exponentially increasing multiples of 3. The included tutorial makes it sound deceptively easy. No complex graphics or gameplay, this game is allow about logic and planning. A ?1? and a ?2? together will add to 3. Two ?3?s together will add to six, two ?6?s together add to twelve, etc. The goal is to keep the board open and get as large number values as you can.

Photo Dec 11, 2 23 38 PM.jpg
Figure 2. You can see the next tile coming up (at the top) and to succeed takes some planning (in this case, where can I put a blue "1" tile to add to a "2" tile).

The game itself is easy, until you suddenly find yourself trying to find a move with only one open tile available ? then the panic starts to set in. Once you run out of moves, the games adds up your score (based on exponential values of 3) ? if you have a few high numbers the score can easily be bumped up (one tile with ?96? on it is worth 729 points, for example). So while scores of 1,000 or 2,000 points look impressive, you can get those scores relatively easily with a little practice.

Photo Dec 11, 2 36 44 PM.jpg
Figure 3. When you run out of space, your score is based on the numbers of the tiles - exponentially increasing.

If you are playing this as a casual game, it may take you one or two ?rounds? to get back into the groove. I have found that if I start playing again after a two or three week hiatus, my first score is usually about 200 to 300 points. Within a couple of games, however, the scores start getting up there again. If anything, this is one drawback of Threes as a casual game ? it may take a little bit of ?refreshing? if you haven?t played in a while to get a good score again.

Photo Dec 11, 2 09 43 PM.jpg
Figure 4. Larger numbered tiles produces a higher score!

All in all, Threes is an easy game to learn, and one that requires both skill and a little bit of luck to do well. With no complex gameplay, it is almost the complete epitome of a casual game ? something you can pick up and just play for a few minutes when available, or you can sit for hours trying to beat your highest score. At $2.99 for the ad-free version (and a universal binary to boot) the game is well worth the cost. Five out of five stars.

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating. Please comment on these reviews. All opinions expressed in this review are precisely that ? opinions. You may agree or disagree. If you own the app, tell me what your opinion is. If the review prompted you to buy (or not buy) the app, let me know why. If you want more information about the app, go ahead and ask.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramzesenok