App Library, nice but . . .

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I was interested in the App Library and thought it would be great. There are a few issues that should have been addressed over 8 betas.

First of your going have preset categories then use the very categories the apps are listed as being part of in the App Store. No have apps in “Other” apps like Eero, Amazon Alexa, AARP, Nest Thermostat all are categorized as Lifestyle so that’s where they should be.

You can’t move apps within the App Library which wouldn’t be an issue if the categories were correct to begin with.

No App Library in iPad OS which to me is a big omission. I like the App Library idea but when switching between devices I have to revert to folders not every efficient.

It’s not a question of whether Apple will fix this in a future update it’s the attitude that Apple has towards their users, they know best, but they don’t. Apple has been very much missing the mark with updates, their horrible treatment with developers and how they pushed the IAP mode which makes Apple huge money.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I am underwhelmed with the App Library as well. I knew ahead of time after reading posts from all the beta testers that we couldn't customize them, and I now understand the frustration of many who shared this. I was also surprised that the library was on the last page, but I guess that's good, because until we're able to customize it (and I realize that's a big if) I probably won't be using it much. Maybe it's worth submitting feedback to Apple. You never know... they may listen! :D

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I was one of the posters that felt the App Library was lacking but since I installed iOS 14, I completely changed my mind.

I really like the App Library. I actually like the fact that it isn’t customizable. Between widgets on the Home Screen, the App Library and enhanced AirPods pairings , iOS 14 is

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I like the fact that it keeps everything on one screen. I don’t care about the categories because I can easily do a spotlight search for the app I want to use.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
Not really excited about app library or not much about 14. at all , maybe a few little things however lots of hype about iOS14.0 .

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I like the fact that it keeps everything on one screen. I don’t care about the categories because I can easily do a spotlight search for the app I want to use.

But you wouldn’t have to if you were able to customize and put them where you want.
Why is this so hard for Apple?

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Got it now ! what use is it ? So far all it has done is copied ikons from where I put them to this stupid library I did not ask for... so now for instance Windy is now not only where I put it but also in the new apps section but also in Utilities and no doubt the bloody thing is also in the swipe down list as well !! This is obviously a sinister plot to waste my expensive screen space, and I demand massive compensation immediately !! I mean, Apple, WTFYPA ??

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Got it now ! what use is it ? So far all it has done is copied ikons from where I put them to this stupid library I did not ask for... so now for instance Windy is now not only where I put it but also in the new apps section but also in Utilities and no doubt the bloody thing is also in the swipe down list as well !! This is obviously a sinister plot to waste my expensive screen space, and I demand massive compensation immediately !! I mean, Apple, WTFYPA ??

Apps are now taking twice the storage space than it was before the update. Since I won't use the app library, there should be a way to delete it. It should be optional.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Better have a look at iCloud mine is now saving stuff I never asked it to- In fact best get over to settings and turn off all the stuff you had turned off before !

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Apps are now taking twice the storage space than it was before the update. Since I won't use the app library, there should be a way to delete it. It should be optional.

That’s simply not true. At least, the App Library isn’t causing the apps to take extra storage space.
The App Library is simply another Home Screen that shows which apps you have installed on your phone. Those icons do not take extra space.

It’s like a mirror. Just because you see your own reflection in the mirror doesn’t mean you take twice as space in that room.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That’s simply not true. At least, the App Library isn’t causing the apps to take extra storage space.
The App Library is simply another Home Screen that shows which apps you have installed on your phone. Those icons do not take extra space.

It’s like a mirror. Just because you see your own reflection in the mirror doesn’t mean you take twice as space in that room.

Source? From Apple. I couldn't find anything.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
There is only one installation of an app, and only one place where data is stored for that app. Extra icons on a home screen are a rounding error on the amount of space an app takes on a phone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
There is only one installation of an app, and only one place where data is stored for that app. Extra icons on a home screen are a rounding error on the amount of space an app takes on a phone.

The same way photos are shown in two places? May be, but I can't confirm that, as I can't find anything on it from Apple.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

I think of a Home Screen as being the first screen I come to, not the last.
If we could truly make it the Home Screen and configure it the way we want, I might accept it.

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I kinda dig it, my girlfriend has already removed her apps from screens and is just going to the app drawer/library. It is just an extra screen/area on the last swipe NO big deal to me. I hope they KEEP IT and start to modify it more, allow some customization to it and what not.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I like it but if Apple is going to use predefined categories ok then use what the app is listed as. Lifestyle, utilities, etc. it’s nice to have a large folder open vs swiping between sections in a folder.

So far I haven’t removed my folders hoping they fix their error.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73