App Diet!!!

SkydiverTilt

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else gone on an app diet? I have, because being minimalist extends out to our digital world. If you have a Dropbox account with a thousand worthless old files your brain will experience that same haunting nightmare as an attic full of garbage, but before I went inside my apps I wondered why do I need so many stupid apps.

When the 2G came out it was simple and perfect (once MS Exchange was brought on board with the 16GB). Next year the 3G with the app store, and we realized that developers could do it better than Apple so we flooded our phones. In the hayday of standing in line for the new iPhone (3GS through 5S) apps reached their peak. Phones were packed full of great apps and great games…unfortunately also junk apps and junk games.

But lately I’ve just gotten sick of all the apps, my strategy is to only use useful apps, and have what I refer to as ‘power’ apps which multifunction and consolidate multiple apps into one.

Take Safari, an overlooked app. Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, Nextdoor, YouTube, Google+, Instagram…all great apps with nearly perfect matches on Safari. Really the only one that is nicer would be Facebook, but using Safari saves your battery and constant notifications, out of sight out of mind so to speak, so the benefits outweigh in my opinion. That’s seven apps into one.

Messengers…holy moly…I had 10 of them. Messages, FB messenger, whatsapp, kik, line, snapchat, hangouts…etc…I had enough. I slowly phased everyone out of those apps…a long and hard process but I’m down to two apps. Messages for people that have my phone number, and FB Messenger for those that don’t…love it (kinda…I really want to be down to one).

Games…iOS and tech saved me on this since most good online games save to their own cloud (i.e. Order and Chaos, Clash of Clans, Hearthstone…etc…) or others save to iCloud as a separate file (i.e. Galaxy of Fire, Grand Theft Auto, Bard’s Tale…etc..) so no need to keep the game on your phone once you get bored of it. Resurrect on demand.

Now, page two is my phone is what I call temp apps, those that will be deleted once they do their job. I’m going to San Diego for a conference next week so I have United, Loew’s Resort, the conference app, and Uber. The moment I land back here in Denver next Friday all four get deleted.

Point is, at one time I had over 300 apps on my phone…and now they all fit on a page (with the caveat of the apps I still can’t delete from the phone in a folder titled secondary), and I gotta tell you it’s mental minimalist freedom.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m somewhat under the belief that if an app isn’t being used much, it doesn’t need to be installed on my iPhone...

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I use to be App Crazy. Coming from a weak app platform to the iPhone I found the App Store to be Heaven on Earth so I downloaded a lot but found that they were just brand new toys to play with.

I haven't downloaded a new App in months and only keep what I plan to use Frequently

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have way too many apps on my phone, and periodically go through and purge! I have learned over time that just because I download an app, it doesn't mean that I have to keep it forever. Of course, I'm considerably more discerning if I decide to pay for an app!

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I can relate. I only keep apps that I actually use. How I see it is having more apps means that it takes longer to find the ones you need.

Sent from mTalk

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I did the whole no apps that I can access via mobile web thing before. It is actually not horrible and good for keeping distractions at bay via constant notifications.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I use to be App Crazy. Coming from a weak app platform to the iPhone I found the App Store to be Heaven on Earth so I downloaded a lot but found that they were just brand new toys to play with.

I use to do the same thing. Now I only download an app if I'm certain I'll use it. If I find I don't use something often, I just delete it.

I have way too many apps on my phone, and periodically go through and purge! I have learned over time that just because I download an app, it doesn't mean that I have to keep it forever. Of course, I'm considerably more discerning if I decide to pay for an app!

Paid apps stay in the purchased area of the App Store for a particular Apple ID, so you'll be fine if you delete it....you can always download it again.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods