Anyone use a Vive on an iMac?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

Is there anyone using the HTC Vive on their iMac? Do you have that 1 model that can handle it, OR did you get the external video card? I’m thinking about possibly trying to do it, but I would need the external card as well as the Vive. But my tax money did just come in!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
What external video card do you need? I’m curious as to what the other requirements are as well. I doubt my 2013 MacBook Pro could handle it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Looking into it further it’s way more money than I’m willing to spend. The enclosure alone would run $250+ and my “oldie but goodie” MacBook isn’t powerful enough to handle it. I’d opt for a decent Windows PC before anything else.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Looking into it further it’s way more money than I’m willing to spend. The enclosure alone would run $250+ and my “oldie but goodie” MacBook isn’t powerful enough to handle it. I’d opt for a decent Windows PC before anything else.

I believe that while costs vary, it should run in the neighborhood of 400, card and enclosure, plus often it will be sold in combination. It's not 100% officially supported YET! So you also need to make sure the one you get has Mac drivers which some manufacturers ARE doing. Eventually Apple will take it out of beta and likely have their own. (probably made by Nvidia, or AMD, or someone)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73