Anyone updated their 5c to ios 8?

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Joe, just curious. Did you ever figure out what caused your battery to take a dive on you the other day?

If not try a reset all settings, hard reboot, then drain the battery till it shuts off and then plug in to charge full up to 100% without interruption.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411745502.707717.jpg

Hello there, not sure if the Tapatalk app is causing it, which would be pretty funny.
I did a hard reset this morning, after I finished downloading 8.0.2.
I only did the hard reset because my phone acted up.
For a moment there, I could not call anyone on my contact list.
I hit the phone icon within my contact, and nothing would happen.
If my battery life is still worse, I will follow your advice.
Maybe even go as far as completely wiping the phone, and starting new.
Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 66323

Hello there, not sure if the Tapatalk app is causing it, which would be pretty funny.
I did a hard reset this morning, after I finished downloading 8.0.2.
I only did the hard reset because my phone acted up.
For a moment there, I could not call anyone on my contact list.
I hit the phone icon within my contact, and nothing would happen.
If my battery life still is worse, I will follow your advice.
Maybe even go as far as completely wiping the phone, and starting new.
Thank you very much for your help.

Your welcome!:)

I don't use tapatalk so I can't comment on it. The only thing I can think of is perhaps tapatalk has a setting thats updating the app in the background...? Like background app refresh.

Also the hard reboot you did this morning aft installing iOS 8.0.2 may have been a positive thing and hopefully jogged free what ever could've been eating you battery. Fingers crossed.

And yes worse case scenario, wipe the phone and start fresh.

Good luck hopefully your battery settles down now.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

I don't use tapatalk so I can't comment on it. The only thing I can think of is perhaps tapatalk has a setting thats updating the app in the background...? Like background app refresh.

Also the hard reboot you did this morning aft installing iOS 8.0.2 may have been a positive thing and hopefully jogged free what ever could've been eating you battery. Fingers crossed.

Wiping the phone can be a PITA, and a last resort. But not the end of the world either.
If the phone is sucking wind by dinner time, then I will do it.Thanks much for the advice, and well wishes.

frozzy24

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the tip on the background app refresh thing. This is my first iPhone and I've had it since Christmas, the software update thing is kind of new, there was couple of small ones earlier this year...but syncing my apps have become a bother. I've removed the few I can live without.....and there are only a few that I can't, but I shall stop them from refreshing in the background, and hopefully my battery life will last a full day again.

I did have to get a new usb cord though, the wires disconnected...on both ends! Odd.

It pays to read all the messages here. Thanks everyone!

lc36

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
My husband updated to IOS8 last week on his iPhone 5c. Don't do it, he has had more problems even after updating the so called fix a few days later. He cannot open e mails, he has to turn on and off his phone to get to them, and most of the time he can't open. And if you have an IPad, don't do it, Safari takes so long to load, then it freezes, some apps don't open. It's a mess

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
My husband updated to IOS8 last week on his iPhone 5c. Don't do it, he has had more problems even after updating the so called fix a few days later. He cannot open e mails, he has to turn on and off his phone to get to them, and most of the time he can't open. And if you have an IPad, don't do it, Safari takes so long to load, then it freezes, some apps don't open. It's a mess

Mine was very bad until I did a reset and set up as new. Been working flawlessly since then

Posted via iMore App

lc36

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I'll tell him, did you lose anything or have to do something to save contacts, or what re set did you do. I know there is a back to factory settings

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes, effectively everything will be wiped.

Apps/music/films can be re downloaded from the app store/iTunes store

Contacts/mail/calendars should be synced to a cloud account and will automatically reinstall upon signing in.

It'd be a good idea to backup any pictures to a cloud storage which can then be re downloaded after.

Texts will be lost so check there's nothing important in there first

It isn't as much work as it sounds and is 100% worth taking the time to do it for the performance increase you'll experience after.

To be safe, do a full icloud backup first so you can go back to square one if you do erase something you desperately need back at a later date

Posted via iMore App

hsfof3

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I updated to iOS 8. I had a lot of problems once I updated to 8.0.2. Lost signal emails not going through. I have done 3 hard resets and ran the battery all the way down. So far since then seems like everything is working as normal. I will see how the next 24 hrs go.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My Wife's 5c is doing fine on iOS 8.0.2. Those battery app use charts don't mean much. All it tells us is which apps we use the most. Mine has TapaTalk at the top. But why not. I'm here a lot. It is useful to show the app battery usage. But it doesn't mean the app is a battery hog. It just gets used a lot. The culprits are videos, intense games, display brightness and a few settings issues.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Last edited:

jr866gooner

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I will check it out, and send a screen shot.
Truthfully, I don't know exactly what that is. But I agree, it seems like an awful lot. And my battery life has been ok.
With the exception of yesterday. I was working on 1 Password, but deleted it because my battery life went south.
I thought it was because of the app. I also checked my iPad Mini. There are a slew of those diagnostics as well.
View attachment 65371

Getting this as well... Battery life for me is ok tho

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Updated both my 5c's. The one updated via OTA was slow and laggy. The one I did a full restore then update on seems pretty smooth.

I'd recommend if it's possible to use a third party back up program.

That way you can set up as new but export in the things you need back onto the phone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Updated both my 5c's. The one updated via OTA was slow and laggy. The one I did a full restore then update on seems pretty smooth.

That way you can set up as new but export in the things you need back onto the phone.
My wife updated her 5c OTA to 8.0.2 with no problems. Runs smooth. Has a few of the iOS 8 bugs, but hopefully today's update will squash those. Thanks for the heads up.

usedberry

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site

5c snappier here too! 🐾

Sent from my iPhone 5c or iPod touch 5th Gen using iMore Forums

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm much happier with 8.1. It seems to have helped alleviate the safari lag and crash. The animations seem more obvious but not slower. Overall, it's pretty good.

frozzy24

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I just got the notice to update to iOS 8.1. I'm thinking of waiting another day, or at least until I'm connected to iTunes through my PC. Hopefully this update will speed things up again and not be so choppy. 👍

My two game apps I would lose my mind without just got all of the bugs out from the last fiasco, lol.

I still love my i5c though. 💞

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
iOS 8 is running like a champ on my 5c. No slow-downs whatsoever. I'm not a hardcore gamer though, so I don't really tax the CPU much. My iPad Mini 1G, that's a different story. Ugh!

Oh man, my original Mini did not take to iOS 8 at all. I had to trade it in and update to the newer model. Ended up with a Mini 3.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh