Anyone try a generic lightning cable yet?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I got one from Amazon by Belkin - supposedly even Apple sells it. Lightning also supposedly. Definitely wasn't lightning - if it charged at all. Found a comment that said if you have IOS 7, Apple has made it proprietary as it won't charge. Didn't matter where I plugged the USB in - sometimes it charged a very small bit, sometimes it didn't. i sent it back and am looking for an Apple cable.

I think you may have gotten a defective cord. I have a couple of Belkin cords and they work just as good as my Apple cords. I bought the Belkin's from the Apple store because they come in colors and my cords won't get mixed up with anyone in my house.

BTW...I have a 5S and these cords were bought almost a year ago for my 5. They work perfectly

aahnasethi

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Hey there

You can buy any cable you want or think fits in your budget,But I think a good consistent connection is the most important thing. I've Have Purchased Amkette lightning cable From Amazon you can check out using it from past 5-6 months and its good..:)

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Cant speak on using non-OEM lightning cables as I always use OEM Apple accessories....had many issues in the past with third-party accessories for iPhones.

iphoner5454

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
The issue with the cables that are not Apple Certified is that those cable will work ONLY UNTIL THE iOS UPDATE

Today you can find MFi cables for $6-7 so it's not so bad ..

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Certified monoprice cables are good. I got a 10' monoprice for my 5. No problems. I only use Apple chargers though.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Last edited:

timjobs

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
A ixcc lightning cable they are just as nice as apples if you ask me and come with a year warranty. They are apple verified.

losino

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I have a generic car charger and house charger for my iphone 5. Both work fine. Except the house charger cannot charge my phone when it has completely died. I have to plug it into the computer. I don't know why that is.

hitechceo

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
I see where everyone is complaining of NON Apple iPhone cords failures. Tons of sellers will advertise OEM but they are not. I don't blame them. I blame Apple who added into their software the ability to not accept generic cords and only accommodate Apple charging cords. I am through with these money grubbing jerks and plan on dumping my families' iPhones. Someone should start a class action law suit against Apple. I was not told when I purchased my Apple iPhones they would stick me for paying an ungodly price (5X) for their crap(charging cords).Samsung here I come.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I see where everyone is complaining of NON Apple iPhone cords failures. Tons of sellers will advertise OEM but they are not. I don't blame them. I blame Apple who added into their software the ability to not accept generic cords and only accommodate Apple charging cords. I am through with these money grubbing jerks and plan on dumping my families' iPhones. Someone should start a class action law suit against Apple. I was not told when I purchased my Apple iPhones they would stick me for paying an ungodly price (5X) for their crap(charging cords).Samsung here I come.

There's quite a few non Apple cables that are good. But they are MFi certified. And they all work with the Apple charger.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I prefer using Apple chargers only but there are some decent generic ones. Thing is though, by the time you've spent the money, may as well just get the real thing.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk!

elitereviewman

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I know this is a late post but DON'T BUY GENERIC CABLES. I have made this mistake before and it sucks. Here is why:

1) These cables damage your phone! Because they are not certified
2) They will break within a week/might not work at all

Sure they are as cheap as $0.25 now on eBay but when you are paying hundreds for the phone itself I don't think that its worth it

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77