Anyone thinking of jumping to S5?

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Well it's that time of year. Samsung had their event and they unveiled the S5. Every year I get excited for MWC and this year was no different, except it was. I love Samsung for what they do, cram features into a future proof ish phone. They do everything that Apple doesn't in that they offer a million software add ons and do removable battery and storage. This year, though, didn't really do it for me. I've had the S3 and S4 and OG Note and Note 2 (wanted the Note 3 but held off) and each time I had the phone for less time. I love iOS even though it does get "boring" using the same thing over and over with little customization but that's the thing. I'm used to it. I like taking notes at school and being able to iMessage my wife on my MacBook and then pick up the conversation on my iPhone or iPad. I love the music player and App Store (I hate how Google Play is laid out, though it's a far cry from 2.0 and earlier) and I love the features that Apple does manage to squeeze in. I'm probably not switching to the S5 (maybe the new One if it looks good, I loved the original) but maybe you guys will! I want to hear from you about switching or not switching and why. Note: I won't judge either way ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I don't like the design among other things and for sure hate TouchWiz even though they flattened it out much like iOS 7

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Just switched from a galaxy s3 to my 5s about 3 weeks ago. I had kinda gone back and forth between the two especially when iOS 7 slowed down my iphone 4 to where it was barely usable. Went to an s3 and after 6 months it started slowing down like all my other android devices have in the past. Going to just stick with my 5s now and reevaluate in 2 years when I can upgrade. The bigger size doesn't work for me I need 1 handed use so I hope apple at least give the option for a smaller phone in the future

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I think they may decrease the bezel and slightly increase the size. The Moto X almost fits perfectly into the iPhone 5s frame and has a 4.7" screen without a home button so I assume it's doable. I'm thinking 4.5-4.7" for the next iteration of iPhone. Depending on your hand size it should fit. The 5s is a little too small still but I love the one handed use. I have an iPad for things I want a bigger screen for.

elvisx77

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
"cram features into a future proof ish phone" I like that statement. Something that apple lack of doing. I think it's high time apple to introduce some basic software features like;

* ascending ring tones
* call conference notifications.
* call waiting notifications.
* "phone on silent" notification (sign)
* cross platform file transferring.
* etc etcetera etc

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums mobile app

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
"cram features into a future proof ish phone" I like that statement. Something that apple lack of doing. I think it's high time apple to introduce some basic software features like;

* ascending ring tones
* etc etcetera etc

Not sure what you mean about the call conference or call waiting since it beeps when you get a call but I agree with the rest. How about actually making FaceTime and iMessage open like they said it would eventually be? Or even better how about multitasking on the iPad at least? I think that will require more RAM but so be it. I love iOS but it's still lacking in some areas.

elvisx77

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what you mean about the call conference or call waiting since it beeps when you get a call but I agree with the rest. How about actually making FaceTime and iMessage open like they said it would eventually be? Or even better how about multitasking on the iPad at least? I think that will require more RAM but so be it. I love iOS but it's still lacking in some areas.

* Call waiting notifications: when you call someone and he/she on a another call, you see a notification on your screen saying " caller waiting" or something similar.

* you are on a call and the other party enabled a conference call, you see a notification on your mobile call "conference call" or a similar message. (Good privacy thing)

Android, Symbian and all the other not so smart phones show these messages. They are standard GSM features.

Another major feature I forgot to mention before is SMS delivery notifications. When you send a SMS, there is no way to know whether it delivered or not unless it's an iMessage.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

* ascending ring tones
* etc etcetera etc

I can tell you right now with some carriers you have to pay extra for those features and/or is only supported on certain devices like blackberry.

* Call waiting notifications: when you call someone and he/she on a another call, you see a notification on your screen saying " caller waiting" or something similar.

* you are on a call and the other party enabled a conference call, you see a notification on your mobile call "conference call" or a similar message. (Good privacy thing)

Android, Symbian and all the other not so smart phones show these messages. They are standard GSM features.

Another major feature I forgot to mention before is SMS delivery notifications. When you send a SMS, there is no way to know whether it delivered or not unless it's an iMessage.

I don't see the use of a "call waiting" notification since the phone either rings and the person you call get a notification or goes to a busy signal and the person you call gets a missed call notification.

Conference call notification would be nice for business people but not everyone uses.

As for SMS delivery notification some carriers send that when the text reaches their server not the receiver so sometimes it just means that the text sent successfully.

The features you list would be great for business people but other people either don't need it, don't care or find them annoying.

One OS can't please everybody that's why we have choices.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
S5 isn't a big enough upgrade from the S3 & Note2 for me. I'm looking forward to the Note 4.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I was kind of excited to see what Samsung had planned for this iteration, though I never intended to buy it, but I came away very disappointed just the same. It seems like a lesser upgrade than an iPhone S upgrade and Samsung is branding it as an entirely new phone. The only positive that I found is the gorgeous blue that it comes in.

I do LOVE the new Galaxy Gear Fit, though. I'd be all over that if it were iPhone-compatible.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Well it's that time of year. Samsung had their event and they unveiled the S5. Every year I get excited for MWC and this year was no different, except it was. I love Samsung for what they do, cram features into a future proof ish phone. They do everything that Apple doesn't in that they offer a million software add ons and do removable battery and storage. This year, though, didn't really do it for me. I've had the S3 and S4 and OG Note and Note 2 (wanted the Note 3 but held off) and each time I had the phone for less time. I love iOS even though it does get "boring" using the same thing over and over with little customization but that's the thing. I'm used to it. I like taking notes at school and being able to iMessage my wife on my MacBook and then pick up the conversation on my iPhone or iPad. I love the music player and App Store (I hate how Google Play is laid out, though it's a far cry from 2.0 and earlier) and I love the features that Apple does manage to squeeze in. I'm probably not switching to the S5 (maybe the new One if it looks good, I loved the original) but maybe you guys will! I want to hear from you about switching or not switching and why. Note: I won't judge either way ;)

I think you've described how well the iOS and OS X integration work together. The App Store is another tangible feature and benefit from being in the Apple ecosystem. There's lots to like about Android, and TouchWiz in this case. Sounds like it comes down to which is more important.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Trying to get excited about a bloatware phone. Nope. Can't do it. Samsung has android so forked with crapware it takes up 8gb of space on a 16gb phone. This is definitely a mainstream phone for the clueless.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

* ascending ring tones
* etc etcetera etc

You've posted these features several times in the forums but have you sent these suggestions to Apple?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
He!! to the nah! Samsuck wants to be the Apple of Android so bad it's pathetic. There phones are horribly designed and they're whole marketing campaign is stupid how about instead of showing a side by side comparison of the 5s next to the Note 3 with Lebron you just hmm I don't know show you're phone?! They're like the kid in high school who is super jealous of the really popular kid so they have to make up all the crap they can about that person just to save face and seem cool.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
He!! to the nah! Samsuck wants to be the Apple of Android so bad it's pathetic. There phones are horribly designed and they're whole marketing campaign is stupid how about instead of showing a side by side comparison of the 5s next to the Note 3 with Lebron you just hmm I don't know show you're phone?! They're like the kid in high school who is super jealous of the really popular kid so they have to make up all the crap they can about that person just to save face and seem cool.

Please refrain from making disparaging remarks about other platforms. We have community guidelines that state our goals to be a polite and welcoming community, regardless of what platforms others are using around here. If you want to make criticisms, do try to make considered ones and not 'jabs.'

Thank you:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR