Anyone thinking of jumping to S5?

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Not jumping to the S5. Happy wiht my 5s.

But if the S6 stays water-resistant and adds wireless charging on the regular phone, and the iPhone 6s doesn't go waterproof, I may be persuaded to jump ship at that point...

gazoo2010

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Staying with my 5s. As stated above, I'm looking forward to seeing what the next Moto X beings as well as the iPhone 6. The one thing that bothered me with the s5 is the available memory..... on the 16gb model there is only 8gb available for the user. I know they give you a MicroSD slot, but taking 1/2 of the available space for the OS seems a bit overboard.

~S

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I had been off Samsung since my GS3, and back on iOS since last October. I hated all the crap features Sammy packs into their phone that do nothing but kill the battery. This hate has been reaffirmed since my company provided Optimus G took a crap and I've been using a GS4 for work...I loathe having to disable 37 preloaded samsung 'features' to get my phone to last through the day. Every time I pick my personal 5S back up I'm reminded by why I was so happy to come back to Apple.

So no. I will not be buying the bandaid phone...now the new HTC One? That's a WHOLE other story.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk HD

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Trying to get excited about a bloatware phone. Nope. Can't do it. Samsung has android so forked with crapware it takes up 8gb of space on a 16gb phone. This is definitely a mainstream phone for the clueless.

This is exactly why I have written it off already. That is absolutely ridiculous to me. Eight GB's of the OS it takes up? That's unacceptable.

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
First things first, I love my iPhone 5S and love iOS for many reasons. It is the best ecosystem for my needs.

With that said, I love tech and phones, and usually have some high end Android or Windows Phone running on my second line in tandem with my 5S on my first. But this (the Samsung GS5) is one of the few times I have NOT wanted to try the "latest & greatest". I know some people think iOS gets boring, but after using Galaxy after Galaxy after Galaxy, I feel Samsung is getting boring (in my opinion). Sure, they cram a ton of features in their phones, but as much as I love tech and phones, I really never used any of those over-hyped features. Not to say that they are of no benefit or enjoyment for others. Also, I really, really hate TouchWiz with a passion out of any other OEM skin.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
First things first, I love my iPhone 5S and love iOS for many reasons. It is the best ecosystem for my needs.

With that said, I love tech and phones, and usually have some high end Android or Windows Phone running on my second line in tandem with my 5S on my first. But this (the Samsung GS5) is one of the few times I have NOT wanted to try the "latest & greatest". I know some people think iOS gets boring, but after using Galaxy after Galaxy after Galaxy, I feel Samsung is getting boring (in my opinion). Sure, they cram a ton of features in their phones, but as much as I love tech and phones, I really never used any of those over-hyped features. Not to say that they are of no benefit or enjoyment for others. Also, I really, really hate TouchWiz with a passion out of any other OEM skin.

Well, you could easily throw CM, Slimbean, or some other ROM on there and you'd have a fresh device and wouldn't likely be bored. I used to do all that but it got old but if you've not try custom ROMs it's certainly highly recommended.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Please refrain from making disparaging remarks about other platforms. We have community guidelines that state our goals to be a polite and welcoming community, regardless of what platforms others are using around here. If you want to make criticisms, do try to make considered ones and not 'jabs.'

Thank you:)

Now that I've had a couple days to absorb this response I wasn't attacking a platform which would be Android, a platform I used for 2 1/2 years and loved but Samsung who I think is a terrible OEM for Android. I was just responding to the question and why I wouldn't choose Samsung as my device of choice. If I decided to go back to Android (which I won't again) it would be for a device like the HTC One or Moto X. I personally don't care if someone uses iOS, Android, Windows, or BB of course I'll be biased towards Apple and iOS cause I find them to be a far superior choice for me.

Like Finn said I want to see other people who disparage iOS and the iPhone given the same response.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Now that I've had a couple days to absorb this response I wasn't attacking a platform which would be Android, a platform I used for 2 1/2 years and loved but Samsung who I think is a terrible OEM for Android. I was just responding to the question and why I wouldn't choose Samsung as my device of choice. If I decided to go back to Android (which I won't again) it would be for a device like the HTC One or Moto X. I personally don't care if someone uses iOS, Android, Windows, or BB of course I'll be biased towards Apple and iOS cause I find them to be a far superior choice for me.

Like Finn said I want to see other people who disparage iOS and the iPhone given the same response.

It's my fault.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Specially the battery. What's the point of having a smartphone with all the all cool features disabled just because of its crappy battery. Most of the Background app refresh, location based reminders, 4G data etc etc turned off due to iPhone's poor battery performance. The #1 complain of iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums mobile app

My 5s battery and I now have an understanding. I have almost every feature I want turned on and battery life is within acceptable for my usage.

Given the size phone apple is stuck. Bigger phone, potentially better battery life.

Phone calls and emails are never a problem, however getting on the phone in terms of browsing, streaming, app usage will deplete the battery much more rapidly than phone calls.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
My 5s battery and I now have an understanding. I have almost every feature I want turned on and battery life is within acceptable for my usage.

Given the size phone apple is stuck. Bigger phone, potentially better battery life.

Phone calls and emails are never a problem, however getting on the phone in terms if browsing, streaming, app usage will deplete the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

My iDevices and I are best of friends, they always deliver more than expected.

{iRiidium} Sent from my liberated Titanium 5S 32

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2