Anyone having second thoughts given the problems?

sailorgirl

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Geez, between the Apple server issue, the apparent shortage of phones at AT&T stores, the supposed yellow screen on the 3G and gosh knows what else, I've decided I'm going to wait a little bit here. I had plans to go pick up a phone later today when the madness died down a bit, but now I'm thinking I'm just going to wait a couple days and see what comes of all this. I'll bet I'm not the only one thinking this. I am I huge Apple fan but right now I have think it must be absolute pandemonium at Apple headquarters and that Steve Jobs is either on the verge of a coronary or heading to the bar until this passes over.

Anyone else thinking the same thing?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Nope... mine is perfect... waited 5 minutes to get it activated! Smooth sailing for me. Perfect white 16gig... :)

Dionte

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
no but I am having trouble getting all my contacts to sync in outlook over the pc or mobile me. I have 4 folders, Itunes is only showing 2. Does anyone know how to fix this?

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
well, I just got back home. AT&T sucks, but waited 6 hours at Towson store and have 16BG black in hand. Now if fuggin' iTunes would connect, I'd be all set.

Sinistar

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
No problems at all for me. Plenty at the store, out in 10-15 min(switched carriers) and the screen looks perfect to me. I see no "yellow screen" at all. Looks just like the "white" pics I see in the comparison photos bright or dim.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
well - I'm up and running and no, zero problems. Screen is the same drool inducing perfect. Email set up takes a little time simply because you have to be perfect in typing in your ActiveSync info but once you do, wham - it's seamless and works GREAT! Found the wi-fi network at home immediately, apps store is a no brainer. Throwing 14 GB worth of pix, movies & music on right now. Happy Happy Joy Joy!

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
well, I just got back home. AT&T sucks, but waited 6 hours at Towson store and have 16BG black in hand. Now if fuggin' iTunes would connect, I'd be all set.

I have not been able to connect to any download servers since exactly 8am. At 8am iTunes wanted to download 2.0. That failed and I have not been able to do any downloads or purchases since. I can see the store, but if I try to purchase anything, the connection times out.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
sorry to hear that. I'm in an airport (CAE) waiting on someone else to get in so we can go hit the hotel. So - first road warrior perspectives. (1) - activesync works great but if you don't need push email, throttle the account back to pull via the fetch settings 'cause it's a battery pig. (2) Battery pig goes double for 3G. Thank God I'm in airports currently so I can disable it and rely on wi-fi. But, 3 hours worth of movies, music, email, little web surfing and 30 mins of calls since this morning already had me slamming the iPhone into the laptop for as much of a battery recharge as I can get in before I have to drive to the hotel. I can tell Apple this right now - if you want road warriors like me to adopt this thing as a business device, you better put replaceable batteries on the next version (I know - fat chance huh?) 'cause this 3G version will rip through power in a heartbeat. Phone performance - has been excellent on EDGE & 3G so far in BWI, CLT and CAE currently (Baltimore, Charlotte & Columbia, SC for those who don't speak airport :p). Better signal, reception & voice quality that my old Curve. Music - sounds great. Movies? Look awesome but you need to find some way to prop it up horizontally so you don't wear your hand out hold the phone to watch them. Lust factor? 3-4 people gave me double takes probably realizing what it was and one person asked how long I waited. OK - there are some other geeks out there like me :D Uh - what else? It's working exactly as expected otherwise. Practically real time baseball scores are addictive already - Yahoo! seems a little slow for whoring themselves as "push" to the iPhone. In fact, I sincerely doubt that it is really - even though I currently have it set to such in mail settings. Oh - and I crammed 800 AAC 256 tracks, two movies and around 100 photos on here. Still have 6 gigs left on my 16GB model. FYI.

txschafers

Feb 27, 2005
Visit site
I got one at the Apple Store last week and returned it the following day. The "non-landscape" keyboard for texting and e-mailing was a deal breaker for me. I am amayzed that Apple did not incorporate this into the 3G. It was a great phone and I loved the browser ( landscape keyboard there Steve-O! ) but typing on it was a joke. Back to the Blackberry.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
I got one at the Apple Store last week and returned it the following day. The "non-landscape" keyboard for texting and e-mailing was a deal breaker for me. I am amayzed that Apple did not incorporate this into the 3G. It was a great phone and I loved the browser ( landscape keyboard there Steve-O! ) but typing on it was a joke. Back to the Blackberry.

Hey TX, you gave up way too soon. I can easily out-type my Curve now. You have to do two critical things when you use the iPhone keyboard:

1. use the "pad" of your fingers or thumb; do not try to use the finger tip - it is much more accurate that way (because it picks up the center of the tap - don't know, but much more accurate)...

2. trust the spell check; you'll be amazed how accurate it is after a few days - sometimes looks like I'm typing gibberish and it inserts the correct word almost always - just has trouble with proper names

With Exchange Activesync I find it to be a very good replacement to the Curve, and the software environment is just awesome compared to anything on RIM, WinMobile, or RIM (shoot, the height of RIM downloads are new themes - just look at Crackberry)

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Hey TX, you gave up way too soon. I can easily out-type my Curve now. You have to do two critical things when you use the iPhone keyboard:

1. use the "pad" of your fingers or thumb; do not try to use the finger tip - it is much more accurate that way (because it picks up the center of the tap - don't know, but much more accurate)...

2. trust the spell check; you'll be amazed how accurate it is after a few days - sometimes looks like I'm typing gibberish and it inserts the correct word almost always - just has trouble with proper names

With Exchange Activesync I find it to be a very good replacement to the Curve, and the software environment is just awesome compared to anything on RIM, WinMobile, or RIM (shoot, the height of RIM downloads are new themes - just look at Crackberry)
One other tip; the character does not registerr until you lift your finger. I kept getting the character to the right of the one I wanted. Now, I slide as necessary and lift.

I have abandoned Palm forever. Even after ten years, I do not look back to Palm but forward.

Up the next release my citizens, always the next release.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
Good points WH - especially the sliding finger which works well. I guess I'm just lazy and hope the spell checker will catch it, which I'd say it does 90% or better. Regardless, you have to give it the Mossberg 5 day trial (for the firt 3 days you'll want to pitch it in the trash).

wcarr3

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site

Great tips for typing. I've definitely gotten better with my typing. When I first started using my i-Phone, I was like how in the H*** am I going to get used to this keyboard (coming from a Treo). I've gotten exponentially better after a week of using. I just gotta learn to trust the spell check more. :rolleyes: and I'll be good to go.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR