Anyone getting rid of their ipad 3 to get a mini?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I think some people are underestimating the screen quality on the iPad Mini. I've had retina on my iPad 3 for 7 months and don't think I'll have any issues at all adjusting to the resolution on the iPad Mini's screen.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I've only ever used my girlfriend's iPad 2 so I don't really have any experience with retina-quality tablets. I've never had any gripes or issues with the iPad 2 screen and the word is that the iPad mini's display is slightly better. I suppose ignorance is bliss, eh?

Agpe17

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
REALLY shocked that so many people are giving up their 3 and retina display for a poorer quality display in the Mini. I was really surprised that Apple took a step backwards with display quality for the mini, especially now that it's still behind the Kindle Fire HD and Nook HD in display...

I own an iPad 3, and my fianc? has my old 2. I can't even look at the 2 for more than 2 minutes anymore without missing retina display. I mean, I get it...smaller size, portability factor. But what good are those things if the display is a leap BACK from what you're used to? This is all, of course, my OWN thought process and logic. I know I'd have buyer's remorse going from the beautiful retina display to a SLIGHTLY better iPad 2 display.

REALLY wanted a mini before I saw the keynote, and now more than ever, will be sticking by my iPad 3.

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I bought a 64G LTE iPad 3 on launch day. For what I do with the iPad (lots of reading and web surfing), the retina display made a huge difference from my iPad 2. I could never go back to a non-retina display. I'm anxious to see the form factor of the mini and may get one in the spring if it comes out with retina, but I am very happy with the current iPad 3 size. It's more likely that I'll move to whatever big iPad comes out in spring than to a mini.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
REALLY shocked that so many people are giving up their 3 and retina display for a poorer quality display in the Mini. I was really surprised that Apple took a step backwards with display quality for the mini, especially now that it's still behind the Kindle Fire HD and Nook HD in display...

I own an iPad 3, and my fianc? has my old 2. I can't even look at the 2 for more than 2 minutes anymore without missing retina display. I mean, I get it...smaller size, portability factor. But what good are those things if the display is a leap BACK from what you're used to? This is all, of course, my OWN thought process and logic. I know I'd have buyer's remorse going from the beautiful retina display to a SLIGHTLY better iPad 2 display.

REALLY wanted a mini before I saw the keynote, and now more than ever, will be sticking by my iPad 3.
You as well as a lot of others are acting like the iPad Mini's display is going to be the worst thing ever. The screen on the iPad Mini is going to be better than the iPad 2's, that being the case, I hardly think there will be a whole lot of people suffering from buyers remorse as you put it. Let's not forget about the smaller size factor that the iPad Mini brings to the table, which is something that myself and others have been wanting for a long time.

dbeddie15

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Why would I downgrade? The iPad 3 is plenty portable with a significantly better display, and my iPhone 5 is plenty capable in situations where I need something pocketable. Don't see the point of the mini from my own perspective.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
I think this is just Apple putting feelers out there. The mini basically is all iPad 2 parts. Next iteration will have wifi... They just wanted to make sure we will buy it. :)

If you don't like it... Don't buy one.

leathernuts#WP

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
The mini is intriguing , but why on earth would I get rid of my iPad 3 for a mini or a 4? Like one user said, my iPhone 5 is pocketable and the iPad IS plenty portable, has a beautiful large screen, quick and excellent battery. The mini would be a downgrade in my opinion. And anyone complaining about the iPad 3 weight, GO LIFT SOME WEIGHTS YOU WEAKLING! Seriously though I'm surprised by people's issue with the weight-cracks me up. Wasn't long ago everyone was lugging around laptops and suddenly the iPad is too heavy. Anyways, if your on a 2 or 1, then I think the mini or 4 would be a great upgrade, but from the 3, it would just be a waste of money IMO.

ivhs72

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Ordered the 64gb iPad mini on the first day. Since I'm on Sprint, this is the first time that I can get a cellular option on an iPad. Went with the mini over the 4 due to the size. I like the iPad 3's retina display, but it's just a little too big for me. I have a B&N Nook, and I really like the size of that, but do not like the OS that's on it. I think the mini will be a good compromise for what I use the iPad for. Since the cellular ones won't ship/deliver before mid-November, I'll have a chance to see the mini display vs. the retina in an Apple store, and if I don't like what I see, I can cancel my order before it ships.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I think some people are underestimating the screen quality on the iPad Mini. I've had retina on my iPad 3 for 7 months and don't think I'll have any issues at all adjusting to the resolution on the iPad Mini's screen.

Here is the difference in PPI. Retina iPad 264. iPad 2 132. iPad mini 163. Yes iPad mini will have a little improvement from iPad 2 but it's not going to be anywhere near retina quality. Its 30 better than iPad 2 but 100 PPI behind retina iPad. You may not have issues adjusting. After playing with a iPad 2 tonight at Apple, I couldn't imagine using a iPad screen anywhere near that again. I don't think we all are under estimating. If a retina iPad mini comes out from a year from now, I'll add that to my iOS device collection.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Here is the difference in PPI. Retina iPad 264. iPad 2 132. iPad mini 163. Yes iPad mini will have a little improvement from iPad 2 but it's not going to be anywhere near retina quality. Its 30 better than iPad 2 but 100 PPI behind retina iPad. You may not have issues adjusting. After playing with a iPad 2 tonight at Apple, I couldn't imagine using a iPad screen anywhere near that again. I don't think we all are under estimating. If a retina iPad mini comes out from a year from now, I'll add that to my iOS device collection.

If an ipad mini with retina can be made in a year while still retaining its thinness & lightness, I'd add it too. Such a device would also need Apple's current chip, not an old one. I'm not sure exactly how this could be viable for Apple with their current prices for it. I imagine it would cost as much if not more than the ipad 4 to make. That's 2048?1536 on a 7.9" screen.

That's what keeps me from assuming they'll be coming out with a retina model anytime soon. The ipad mini is about being cheaper, thin, and light.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

You missed the entire point of my post if all you took away from it that I was saying the screen on the Mini was going to be as good as the retina screen on the iPad 3. I think there is a huge misconception that the the iPad Mini is in competition with the iPad 3 or even the 4, but it's not and was never meant to be. So to keep saying how the iPad Mini screen is a downgrade from the iPad 3 is just ridiculous if ya ask me. The iPad Mini is in the "smaller" class of tablets and that is what it should be compared to, not with the "larger" class iPad 3 or 4. Although I don't have my Mini yet, "if" I can still run all of my apps and view emails and Safari like I could on my iPad 3, it will not be a downgrade to me. Don't need or want a iPad Mini? Great, but there is no need to keep putting down the screen on the iPad Mini. That said, I'm not going to be reading with my iPad Mini side by side with iPad 3 anyway, and I think as far as reading goes, I won't have any problems at all reading the text on the Mini.

- - - Updated - - -

The ipad mini is about being cheaper, thin, and light.
Exactly! The iPad Mini was not built to compete with Retina devices such as the iPad 3 and 4. It is however, meant to compete with smaller tablets like the Kindle Fire, Nexus 7, ect., and I think it will do just that based on the preorder sell out times that were seen.

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't get why anyone would get rid of an iPad 3 to get a mini unless it was purely because they desired the form factor and were willing to give everything else up.

I feel like the iPad mini is really targeted toward people who don't already have an iPad because they couldn't afford it (AKA people like me lol).

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
It for people that still have iPad/iPad 2's, find the iPad too big, expensive. So much ragging on people for selling their iPad 3's. To each their own.

Gregz0r

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm selling my iPad 3 to get a mini.
For me, Retina - whilst great, doesn't outweigh the increased weight the iPad 3 has over the iPad 2(which we use at work), and I find the 3rd generation iPad to be relatively underpowered, and even a little sluggish compared to the iPad 2.
The CPU and GPU in the 3, don't make it perform any faster than the iPad 2.
All that extra power, is dedicated to simply driving the extra pixels.
The 8-hour charge(from the 2's 4 hours) was irritating as well.
The fact that the 4th gen arrived so quickly, tells me that Apple realized all this too.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm gonna check out the mini after my Chief's retirement on the 2nd. If it doesn't look bad (screen) then I'll sell my iPad 3 and get two minis for the wife and I. I think 2-32GB models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen