Anyone experienced scratches or color wear off?

anon(4110489)

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I heard many people talking about the iPhone 5 that it scratches very easily and the color black trim around the bezel wears off by time. I myself didn't find any problems with my iPhone, been using it for a week now and no scratches or color wear off at all!

If anyone had a problem tell us or post some pictures! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Some reported issues, some have no issues at all.

If your using the device then it will get marked up, scratch, what have you......

But if it had issues when unboxed, then it needs to be switched out... Again it's a phone, it adds character. :)

TalkingDeer

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Mine had a spot with very light scuffing on the back. Panicked and immediately bought a cheap case from ebay while waiting for my Zoogue to ship

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
most complaints were from brand new phones with scratches, haven't heard anything after that... scratches are fine, makes your phone unique.. 👍

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
The black surely gets the paint scratched off. Go to the apple store and take a look. This is especially evident right at the dock connector, where obviously a lot of contact happens. I'm sure that happens on the white one also, but it is not painted.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
The black surely gets the paint scratched off. Go to the apple store and take a look. This is especially evident right at the dock connector, where obviously a lot of contact happens. I'm sure that happens on the white one also, but it is not painted.

Ofcourse the black model at the apple store looks like crap even the white. Those have been man handled and abused. I even try scratching them with my finger nail and that didn't work. My wife tried with her acrylics and that didn't work either. The phone doesn't scratch as easy as people are making them out to be. IMHO

...on iPhone5/iOS6 via Tapatalk...

p2kart

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I think for most people scratches wont be an issue...

If you put your phone with your change or keys, or drop your phone all the time, then what do you expect?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Ofcourse the black model at the apple store looks like crap even the white. Those have been man handled and abused. I even try scratching them with my finger nail and that didn't work. My wife tried with her acrylics and that didn't work either. The phone doesn't scratch as easy as people are making them out to be. IMHO

Completely agree

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Why would you try and scratch your phone ?
I didn't say the white looks like crap, it obviously can get scratched also, but it is less noticeable since it is not painted.
I'm not saying the black scratches easily, just saying that the paint can get scratched off, then it will look like crap. If you hit the bottom with the connector enough times I'm sure it will show on your phone eventually

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Why would you try and scratch your phone ?
I didn't say the white looks like crap, it obviously can get scratched also, but it is less noticeable since it is not painted.
I'm not saying the black scratches easily, just saying that the paint can get scratched off, then it will look like crap. If you hit the bottom with the connector enough times I'm sure it will show on your phone eventually

i tried scratching the phone thats on display at the apple store not mine...DUH! both my wife and I tried it on white and black and its not as easily as scratchable as people are making them out to be.

marcobrien

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
The worrying thing with my black iPhone 5 is that tiny random flakes are coming off the top edge (adjacent to screen) even though the phone hasn't left the house. When I wake up each morning.. "Ta-da!".. A couple more tiny light marks. 6 in total now. All on the same edge as if it's flaking away by itself.

Also have something trapped under camera lens & glue is visible on back top left edge.

Debating whether to call Apple..

dy2ahupa.jpg

usy7yzu4.jpg

u7e8upuj.jpg

saqa8ezu.jpg

e8u8y8a5.jpg

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I got a couple of light marks along the edge. And a very feint hairline mark on the screen. You really have to look for it and it isn't noticeable with screen on. It was like this on day one. The important thing is that I haven't noticed any additional wear since then.

I plan to swap it out anyways but I'm in no rush. I think it'll hold up well enough in the one or two years I'll own it.

marcobrien

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
As another two marks have magically appeared today, I've just moaned loudly to Apple online & they've agreed to send me a brand new replacement.

If I have the same issues with that one, I'll reluctantly have to swap for the white model. My OCD will do my head in otherwise!

skyscraper04

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a long mark on the side of the bezel and it came preloaded since i open the box and i can live with it.i put a case and never look at it again and now im happy.i think the issue is the paint job which is not perfect.i dont think the bezel scratches easily at all but the aluminum back is!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flickoo