Anyone excited for the Oculus Go VR Headset?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

Ok OK, it's Android based, BUT hear me out. Maybe of us like and use multiple platforms. Also the Oculus Go VR will be quality VR (like the midrange units from Samsung & Google, the GearVR and Daydream View), and MUCH better than cardboard. And the price is expected to be around 200, so much more affordable than an HTC Vive or Oculus Rift, which besides being more also require a beefy (read expensive) PC. And although the GearVR and Daydream View cost less than 200, THEY require expensive cell phones that the typical iOS fan does not own.

With an Oculus Go, we can still use our beloved iPhone, AND have VR whenever we want. And of a MUCH better quality then a Google Cardboard. So who's with me and ready to buy an Oculus Go when they release it?

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I am curious to know how the Oculus Go VR compares with the Merge headset?

Oculus Go is designed to be a standalone headset, and does NOT require a phone. This is accomplished by it having components that allow it to run Android, it's sorta like have an Android phone inside, BUT you can't remove it or use it like a traditional phone. The Merge VR, which is google cardboard compatible requires a phone (and iPhones work great in it). HOWEVER the Oculus is supposed to be on par with GearVR and Google Daydream, which are a bit better than Cardboard. Merge is also MUCH cheaper, retailing for around 50 (Amazon has the purple one on sale for 35). Oculus Go will retail for around 200. HOWEVER you must consider the Merge requires a 500+ dollar phone, and the Oculus Go does not. :) I would say IF you are an iPhone enthusiast, AND new to VR the Merge might be best. :)

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Oculus Go is designed to be a standalone headset, and does NOT require a phone. This is accomplished by it having components that allow it to run Android, it's sorta like have an Android phone inside, BUT you can't remove it or use it like a traditional phone. The Merge VR, which is google cardboard compatible requires a phone (and iPhones work great in it). HOWEVER the Oculus is supposed to be on par with GearVR and Google Daydream, which are a bit better than Cardboard. Merge is also MUCH cheaper, retailing for around 50 (Amazon has the purple one on sale for 35). Oculus Go will retail for around 200. HOWEVER you must consider the Merge requires a 500+ dollar phone, and the Oculus Go does not. :) I would say IF you are an iPhone enthusiast, AND new to VR the Merge might be best. :)

Thank you for clarifying! I will go with your advice! I think, at this point, the Merge is better suited for me... but the Oculus Go does sound fantastic!

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Oculus Go is using the same setup as Gear VR. Same software, same SDK. Those of us that are Samsung users that love Gear VR will already have experience with this one. I'm just curious how Oculus or even if Oculus is going to allow your phone to pair with it for notifications like Gear VR does now.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Oculus Go is using the same setup as Gear VR. Same software, same SDK. Those of us that are Samsung users that love Gear VR will already have experience with this one. I'm just curious how Oculus or even if Oculus is going to allow your phone to pair with it for notifications like Gear VR does now.

Yes if you already own a GearVR, then you probably don’t need a Go unless you rare nuts like me. ;). But it’s perfect for those new to VR with a phone that doesn’t support GearVR or Daydream. You get a premium expierence over cardboard.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I’ve been reading up on the Oculus Go and I love the idea of it. If it delivers a better VR experience than my Merge I’m all for it. $200 isn’t bad, even if it’s Android.

iMakro

Mar 23, 2018
Visit site
Since I read about oculus go is all I can think about. They still haven’t announced a release date, sadly. I can’t wait

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I am curious but that about it since I own the HTC Vive, which I believe to be a real complete VR solution. Looking forward for a iMore review about it, though...
Cheers

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I am curious but that about it since I own the HTC Vive, which I believe to be a real complete VR solution. Looking forward for a iMore review about it, though...
Cheers

Me too. I’m going to need an in-depth review before making a buying decision. Since Oculus was first to the consumer VR game I’m expecting a nice quality product.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Cheers

Right now VR/AR on Mac is beta, and often you need additional equipment, an external video card namely. HOWEVER @Russell Holly one of our bloggers DID to a writeup about it.....

https://www.imore.com/vr

@Serenity Caldwell also did a piece about it....

https://www.imore.com/vr-mac-first-...ro-egpu-and-htc-vive-make-dynamite-experience

richiegore

Mar 23, 2018
Visit site
I think it looks pretty cool but I wish it had the option of connection to the Mac/pc. I think inside out tracking would really open up the tethered be market.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox