Anyone else have OCD about their Apple devices.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It's a vicious cycle because I keep unplugging it from the post to see if the connection loosened but doing so puts more stress on it. So in my head I go "well, pulling it out it seemed grippy, but what if now that I did it a 14th time it's loose now?" Then I pull it out again to check. Rinse and repeat.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I am a bit obsessive about my devices, but not to a point that I let it interfere with my life. They are expensive devices and need to be treated as such. I am careful about where I set it down, never put it anywhere near water and do not let anyone except my immediate family touch it. But take it to the point that it interferes with my life, nope! Yes I would be a bit upset if something happened, but it can be replaced.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So all told I probably have unplugged the cord from the port around 18 times or so. The picture seems fine though, but I really hope the power cord dosent have wear or is loose now.

duke821

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Don't worry so much about it. When it comes to shock damage, these devices and their packaging are designed and tested to withstand UPS drivers throwing them around in the truck. So that's a non-issue, if it doesn't rattle and works when you get it, you're fine.
And when it comes to usage and/or shock, again, if it's working fine and you see no problems, it's fine. These are solid state electronics, no moving parts (besides a spinning HD in an older computer) in iPhones and Apple TVs, so if it's working fine, it's fine. I get all OCD about my motorcycle and how sitting all winter, even if winterized, is going to affect it, or how a bad gear shift might have just sheared off a few molecules of gear teeth, etc... Mechanical moving parts type things are much more of the types of devices that will "hide" damage until it shows itself at a later time. For instance, buy a brand new motorcycle or car and don't follow the break in rules, rev the engine to the redline in each gear, run it hard when cold, etc... and you can expect the engine/transmission to turn to crap tens of thousands of miles sooner. This is not the case with solid state electronics. If they work, they work (mostly). Obviously you should take care of your stuff within reason, don't drop it, don't get it wet, avoid static shock, etc. But in general, don't worry about it if you are reasonable and it's working fine.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Don't worry so much about it. When it comes to shock damage, these devices and their packaging are designed and tested to withstand UPS drivers throwing them around in the truck. So that's a non-issue, if it doesn't rattle and works when you get it, you're fine.
And when it comes to usage and/or shock, again, if it's working fine and you see no problems, it's fine. These are solid state electronics, no moving parts (besides a spinning HD in an older computer) in iPhones and Apple TVs, so if it's working fine, it's fine. I get all OCD about my motorcycle and how sitting all winter, even if winterized, is going to affect it, or how a bad gear shift might have just sheared off a few molecules of gear teeth, etc... Mechanical moving parts type things are much more of the types of devices that will "hide" damage until it shows itself at a later time. For instance, buy a brand new motorcycle or car and don't follow the break in rules, rev the engine to the redline in each gear, run it hard when cold, etc... and you can expect the engine/transmission to turn to crap tens of thousands of miles sooner. This is not the case with solid state electronics. If they work, they work (mostly). Obviously you should take care of your stuff within reason, don't drop it, don't get it wet, avoid static shock, etc. But in general, don't worry about it if you are reasonable and it's working fine.

My main worry now is the power cord thing. I'm worried there's wear and tear on it now and the connection is loose. Although the device powers on and I dont notice any issues with the picture.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't sweat it. It's your OCD playing tricks on you. I have very mild OCD on certain things and I have learned that mostly when I feel these urges, it's the OCD itself, not the thing i'm OCD about.

It's just, I think I've unplugged it about 15 times now. I'm worried that theres wear and tear on the port and cord now. I notice some white marks on the cord part that plugs in. And I'm worried I ruined the Apple TV. Even though it still powers on and there's a image.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
It's just, I think I've unplugged it about 15 times now. I'm worried that theres wear and tear on the port and cord now. I notice some white marks on the cord part that plugs in. And I'm worried I ruined the Apple TV. Even though it still powers on and there's a image.

If a device can't cope with being plugged and unplugged fifteen times, there's something wrong with it.

Don't worry (easier said than done, sure)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen