Anyone else have OCD about their Apple devices.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm constantly worried that my electronics are damaged or broken even though they appear to be working fine. Like, I just got a new Apple TV. I started to unplug it from the back of the device, but remembered I like to unplug from the outlet first. So I stopped and then unplugged from the outlet. But I'm afraid that me starting to unplug it then stopping somehow shocked the circuits inside or something. Or when the device in the shipping box accidentally fell a foot onto the floor. Or if there's a blackout and I'm playing my console and it shuts off abruptly that it shorted the components or something.

It's things like that. And it's ruining my life. If there was something wrong with my electronics, it would be noticeable right? Does anyone else have similar issues?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
If I'm being honest I think you're worrying too much. I'm very picky about how my devices look and perform but this is the monster Apple has created with their attention to detail, especially from a design perspective. That being said, dropping an iPhone a foot off of the floor while it's still in its box isn't going to hurt it. I can almost guarantee that it had already experienced much worse trauma than that just from the shipping process. Power outages and plugging/unplugging can cause issues on rare occasions but, again, it's nothing to constantly worry about.
If your stuff looks good and is acting fine then don't worry about it. They're just devices and can always be replaced. Enjoy them!

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
My last three Windows machines all died ignoble deaths early on due to various issues, including my custom built rig (some sort of PSU issue I never solved...think there was a fault somewhere in the mainboard). I've had far less trouble with hardware since I switched to Apple.

I actually miss my old Core 2 Duo Vista machine at times. It was a sexy sexy media center. TV Tuner (480i only), 900p monitor, media remote, wifi antennae (before that was really a thing) and 2x250 GB HDDs (before 500 GB of storage was really a thing). PCs are so good now that you can use any old Celeron and have a good media player. Back then you had to build for it. It was BD ready but the drives were so damn expensive.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
My last three Windows machines all died ignoble deaths early on due to various issues, including my custom built rig (some sort of PSU issue I never solved...think there was a fault somewhere in the mainboard). I've had far less trouble with hardware since I switched to Apple.

I actually miss my old Core 2 Duo Vista machine at times. It was a sexy sexy media center. TV Tuner (480i only), 900p monitor, media remote, wifi antennae (before that was really a thing) and 2x250 GB HDDs (before 500 GB of storage was really a thing). PCs are so good now that you can use any old Celeron and have a good media player. Back then you had to build for it. It was BD ready but the drives were so damn expensive.

Some time ago I was a pretty astute custom rig friar. I could blow up a computer with the best of them!

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If I'm being honest I think you're worrying too much. I'm very picky about how my devices look and perform but this is the monster Apple has created with their attention to detail, especially from a design perspective. That being said, dropping an iPhone a foot off of the floor while it's still in its box isn't going to hurt it. I can almost guarantee that it had already experienced much worse trauma than that just from the shipping process. Power outages and plugging/unplugging can cause issues on rare occasions but, again, it's nothing to constantly worry about.
If your stuff looks good and is acting fine then don't worry about it. They're just devices and can always be replaced. Enjoy them!

I think my main worry was if I partially unplugged the Apple TV and plugged it back in that it could have put stress on the components.

It's mainly that I spend good money on this stuff and want them to work as they should

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
You could put the Apple TV on a power strip that has an on/off switch. That way you don't have to unplug the ATV's power cord at either end.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
You could put the Apple TV on a power strip that has an on/off switch. That way you don't have to unplug the ATV's power cord at either end.

I do have it on a power strip. I just like unplugging the device itself when I dust it. That was the reason I unplugged it from the back, when I dust.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Is there a reason to unplug a device when dusting it?

To get behind it where the ports are. The cords get in the way otherwise.

Like I said, I don't remember the little indicator light turning back on when I was tugging on the power cord in the back of the device. Which would indicate it would turn from off to on. So I think I'm probably fine. I just was worried if it screwed with the internal components or something. I didn't even fully unplug it from the back, just started to.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It's really hard. I never know what a real concern or just OCD messing with me.
It's all messing with you :) Nothing to be concerned about unless the screen is cracked or if you're staring at your device down in the bottom of the toilet :) If it's an Apple TV, it doesn't turn on, or the screen is marbled or entirely magenta.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
If the device is operating as designed, functioning normally, and there is no noticeable physical damage, I usually assume there is nothing wrong with it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods