Anyone besides me, bought the latest iphone (13 proMax) and felt profound buyer's remorse ?

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
All how you look at it. IMHO smartphones are not a ridiculous amount, not even remotely close. A smartphone, to many, is an everything device. It's how I directly communicate to friends and family, conduct business and interact with coworkers, personal and private businesses and more. It guides me to where I want to go and tells me what's there/around it when I get there. It's how I pay for most things at a physical store checkout. It's how I control my lights, HVAC, even performance and leaks to my hot water heater, a number of more things. It's how I deposit my checks and perform most banking, it's how I review and execute stock trades as well as monitor my 401k and more. It's part of my health monitoring(now a very important part). It's the main device I need/would need in numerous emergencies. It's what I use to photo/record daily things and special moment/events. It's the majority of my entertainment content. It's frequently what I use to shop for my needs from groceries to other necessities (and not so necessary). It's how I keep alert of weather and any emergencies. It's my needed distraction for (my preference of) word and puzzle games. It will even auto notify emergency services from an accidents/fall.
I'm not listing everything and I'm sure others can add to it too. Regardless, the amount of things that a smartphone provides in this one small device brings an almost absurd level of efficiency to this ever more complicated and interconnected world. I could go on.
If you see a device that performs all that and believe it should be 99 dollars or 199 dollars, that is obviously in your own experience and opinion. IME a smartphone is arguably one of the best deals in all of history when you stack up with what it does. And for me, and I suspect many, a smartphone is absolutely not a moment for 'I want it as absolutely cheap cheap as possible'. No! this is one device you want to go buy the very best you can afford (pardon to Rene for stealing part of his tag line). Finding cheap as possible is ok if buying a spatula or dust mope -- not a smartphone.

Expect a call from Tim Cook!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
All how you look at it. IMHO smartphones are not a ridiculous amount, not even remotely close. A smartphone, to many, is an everything device… Finding cheap as possible is ok if buying a spatula or dust mope -- not a smartphone.

The adage “you get what you pay for” says it all… even when buying a spatula! ;) Having purchased a few cheap ones from a local dollar store, and suffering from epic failures in the kitchen, buying “cheap” just isn’t a great idea!

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
The adage “you get what you pay for” says it all… even when buying a spatula! ;) Having purchased a few cheap ones from a local dollar store, and suffering from epic failures in the kitchen, buying “cheap” just isn’t a great idea!

What does that make the least expensive iPhone SE 2020?

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Completely agree Annie_M, I was using that as a (poor) analogy in my previous post. Over the last about 10 years I finally figured out even a better quality spatula is worth the higher up front cost. It likely will last significantly longer and in the long run actually save you money (and it likely works better too).

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Answer: a solid lower end smartphone but it will give you less on numerous features.

Some people will be on a very (quite necessary) tight spending budget. So X tier is what they can buy (companies, even Apple occasionally, will offer the lower cost options). Annie_M's point still is valid. In your budget category buy the best phone you can. The device at the high end of the X budget is likely to be the best (and frequently IME, over the long term, is the best value).
This goes for spatulas too. If you can only afford 4 bucks, the 99 cent spatula is likely a bad choice compared to the 4 dollar one (though this is not 100% the case, if you do educated shopping, as I call it, it almost always will be).

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73