Any tricks for quickly aging a leather phone case?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I just got a saddle brown Apple leather case for my iPhone XS Max but here’s my dilemma: it’s fugly straight out of the box but it wears beautifully over time. I’ve been doing some research on how to speed up the aging process and came across a few articles recommending taking a fine grade sand paper to the case, applying shoe polish, applying shoe wax, then buffering it out. It’s essentially doing what naturally happens over time, breaking down the outermost layer on the leather and introducing oils (usually from our skin and other surfaces).
Has anyone tried this approach? Any other methods/suggestions?
I’m looking for feedback from the community before I go sanding down my $50 iPhone case.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Put it in a time machine and send it 6 months into the future and then have it sent back....(laughing)....Dude, you know I’m just messing with you...

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Put it in a time machine and send it 6 months into the future and then have it sent back....(laughing)....Dude, you know I’m just messing with you...

LOL! Just waiting for Apple to make a time machine (an actual time machine, not a backup drive).
The crux with being an annual upgrader is by the time I start to develop a nice patina on the leather it’s time to get a new case. Maybe next year’s Max will actually have the same form factor.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I’m chuckling because quite a few thought my saddle brown case was disgusting in some circumstances. I would clean it often but was reminded you put aged shoes or work gloves at the door or in the garage.

Honestly, the scrubbing and cleaning helped the aging process. I am cleaning my phone and cases often because IT means I touch others’ keyboards, and our work sites have messy (kitchens) or dirty (docks, check stands) areas.

Good luck!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The saddle brown tends to patina rather quickly with use IMO. To speed up the process, you can rub it down with a shoe wax or light oil, wipe off any excess then sit it in the window. I’ve done this with my LV bags because the vachetta is so pale.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The saddle brown tends to patina rather quickly with use IMO. To speed up the process, you can rub it down with a shoe wax or light oil, wipe off any excess then sit it in the window. I’ve done this with my LV bags because the vachetta is so pale.

I might just try that. Thanks Nikki!
Gutsy move experimenting with a Louis.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Agreed! The out-of-the-box look is more caramel than brown, but over time it looks really nice.

This was 11/20, brand new compared to the one from my X.

IMG_0018 (1).jpg

Since then it's aged already just from use... has more red in it for sure. Doesn't take long, thankfully.

IMG_0247.jpg

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
I just got a saddle brown Apple leather case for my iPhone XS Max but here’s my dilemma: it’s fugly straight out of the box but it wears beautifully over time. I’ve been doing some research on how to speed up the aging process and came across a few articles recommending taking a fine grade sand paper to the case, applying shoe polish, applying shoe wax, then buffering it out. It’s essentially doing what naturally happens over time, breaking down the outermost layer on the leather and introducing oils (usually from our skin and other surfaces).
Has anyone tried this approach? Any other methods/suggestions?
I’m looking for feedback from the community before I go sanding down my $50 iPhone case.

Don’t use sandpaper. It will take off not just any protective finish, but also the outer layer of the skin that has absorbed dye. You could end up seeing natural undyed areas of leather “speckles” which isn’t patina looking...

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Don’t use sandpaper. It will take off not just any protective finish, but also the outer layer of the skin that has absorbed dye. You could end up seeing natural undyed areas of leather “speckles” which isn’t patina looking...

Good point. To clarify, I think the idea is to use very fine sandpaper and applying extremely light pressure just to remove some of the wax coating. Nonetheless I've decided not to do that part. Thanks!

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Agreed! The out-of-the-box look is more caramel than brown, but over time it looks really nice.

This was 11/20, brand new compared to the one from my X.

View attachment 125248

Since then it's aged already just from use... has more red in it for sure. Doesn't take long, thankfully.

View attachment 125249

Aging quite well! I'm just impatient and want it to look like that right now. I actually bought another brand before this one because they claimed to have a quality pre-aged leather. It was garbage so I returned it five minutes after I opened it.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Aging quite well! I'm just impatient and want it to look like that right now. I actually bought another brand before this one because they claimed to have a quality pre-aged leather. It was garbage so I returned it five minutes after I opened it.

Best way is just don’t put it down. 🤣