Any former Android owners?

ozarkham

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm on my 3rd Android phone and am seriously considering switching to the Iphone 5. The rest of the family has Iphones (one 5 and two 4s phones) and the apps seem to just work so well with the phone. Iphone owners seem to be happy. I've met more then one iphone owners with their 2 year old phone that isn't even considering upgrading to something else. For those that have Android experience and switched to iOS, how's that working for you? Any advice you can give is appreciated.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's working out better than I could have ever imagined....;)....Now go ahead and make the switch, my friend.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have basically had just about every Android phone that Verizon has had. I tried iOS for a while, and would return to Android, and then I would miss the iOS experience. I have now settled on iPhone, and probably will never look back. But I must add that the new HTC One and the new Moto phones are looking like nice phones....All platforms now can basically meet the needs of most people. It comes down to what works for you.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Android OS as you probably already know is very different than iOS. I've gone back and forth between Android and iOS for some time now. Android offers a better range of customization than iOS. IMHO, iOS offers a better quality selection of Apps than I've seen on my Android devices. One other thing to consider which is a big thing to me and the most important is timely OS updates. These were almost nonexistent on any of the Androids that weren't directly from Google past the 6 month mark. Case in point, the flag ship HTC One was already an update behind right out of the box and maybe won't even get the next biggest update from Android. All of my iPhones have received the latest updates right on schedule. I'm sure I can think of more things but this is all for now off the top of my head. I think if you are considering switching platforms it would help you to just purchase an iPhone and test it out for yourself to see whether it offers all that you need and if you can live without some of things that you have on your Android but no longer have with iOS.... Good luck with your decision, I know it's not an easy one, especially if you have been using Androids for a fair amount of time.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I used one several years ago when they were still quite new, and only because the iPhone was not on my carrier. I won't be going back. To me it's like Windows and Macs, the former being too over complicated for my tastes.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I was the biggest Apple freak and bought the iPhone and iPhone 3G then I got bored and was starting to resent Apple for dragging their heels on certain features at the time. I switched to Blackberry *shudders* cause I got an awesome deal with AT&T through my friend. After that pipe dream ended I had to get another plan so at the time I switched to Android with a Droid on VZW instead of staying with AT&T and purchasing another iPhone (wish I had).

Through 2010-2012 I owned 4 Android devices and with my experiences I can wholeheartedly agree with Irish's assessment that while customization is top notch on Android phones you have to compromise a lot on timely updates, battery life, numerous amounts of bugs and lackluster apps just to get that freedom of choice and customization.

So now that I have returned to iPhone I won't even look at Android until the update fragmentation gets squashed. Many times Android enthusiast use the fragmentation as a positive because of the vast amount of choices Android users have. On the other hand though it's the Achilles heel of Android take the Samsung Galaxy Mega for example it's bigger than the Note II but has worse specs or all of the cheaper phones still being pushed out today either come with Gingerbread or Ice Cream Sandwich both of which are 3 and 2 years old.

Sorry for the novel haha but go to the Apple store and try out the phone you just might like what you see. Plus theirs no comparison to the Apple store experience.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Android OS as you probably already know is very different than iOS. I've gone back and forth between Android and iOS for some time now. Android offers a better range of customization than iOS. IMHO, iOS offers a better quality selection of Apps than I've seen on my Android devices. One other thing to consider which is a big thing to me and the most important is timely OS updates. These were almost nonexistent on any of the Androids that weren't directly from Google past the 6 month mark. Case in point, the flag ship HTC One was already an update behind right out of the box and maybe won't even get the next biggest update from Android. All of my iPhones have received the latest updates right on schedule. I'm sure I can think of more things but this is all for now off the top of my head. I think if you are considering switching platforms it would help you to just purchase an iPhone and test it out for yourself to see whether it offers all that you need and if you can live without some of things that you have on your Android but no longer have with iOS.... Good luck with your decision, I know it's not an easy one, especially if you have been using Androids for a fair amount of time.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2.

This sums up my thoughts as a former Android user.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
To echo the other former Android owners:

Android offers much more customization, and quicker integration of newer inputs like a control centre, notifications, widgets, and so on. Also, the flagship droids have better specs -- bigger screens (if that's desired), more RAM, higher MP cameras.

Apple offers a better app ecosystem, and faster updates. And it's a lot more expensive. But then, it has a nicer build quality.

I've found that Apple requires less care and maintenance, which matters to me because I don't want to do that.

So on balance, after bouncing back and forth a bit (Nexus S, HTC Amaze 4G), I've settled on the Apple side of the fence.

Also, yes, like having the Apple Store to backstop me if/when I damage my phone. (Although there now is a Samsung repair centre not so far away, so these things are evening up...)

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
To echo the other former Android owners:

Android offers much more customization, and quicker integration of newer inputs like a control centre, notifications, widgets, and so on. Also, the flagship droids have better specs -- bigger screens (if that's desired), more RAM, higher MP cameras.

Apple offers a better app ecosystem, and faster updates. And it's a lot more expensive. But then, it has a nicer build quality.

I've found that Apple requires less care and maintenance, which matters to me because I don't want to do that.

So on balance, after bouncing back and forth a bit (Nexus S, HTC Amaze 4G), I've settled on the Apple side of the fence.

Also, yes, like having the Apple Store to backstop me if/when I damage my phone. (Although there now is a Samsung repair centre not so far away, so these things are evening up...)

Actually, on contract, it is priced the same as the HTC One, S4, Moto X, and the new Droids coming out.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Actually, on contract, it is priced the same as the HTC One, S4, Moto X, and the new Droids coming out.

Fair.

I buy my phones unlocked, off-contract. So it's more expensive for me. (Also prefer the 32 or 64 GB versions.)

But yes, for the typical North American user who buys subsidized handsets, the base iPhone model is usually the same price as phones like the HTC One or Galaxy S4 when they are first released.

Padron26

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Same here I would have gotten a 128 gb iP5 to match my ipad if they were available.

Former android user, for me its The build quality and reliability

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I consider myself a long time users of all platforms including blackberry, webos, and windows and don't regret switching to iPhone. I had an iPhone 5 and sold it for extra cash and switched back to my iPhone 4 months ago and still just as satisfied. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I am on my second day with a iPhone 5 and I am extremely impressed with the device. The only downfall I see so far is the font size in some areas but I can work around that. First device I've owned that I didn't have trouble with the first few weeks , this phone just works!

Niraj Kumar1

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
well i switched from android to iphone 4s and i was very much happy with iphone 4s. Its performance was way above my previous android phone ( Galaxy S plus). And after that i switched to Galaxy S3 and let me tell you i regret it. Since i was using a jailbroken iphone and with all the customisation and tweaks i was using in iphone 4s, i got a bad feeling after switching android.
just few days back i switched from Lumia 920 ( bad like very bad phone) to iphone 5 and i feel relived now! just waiting for the jailbreak to come for ios 6.1.4 which is quite unexpected i think. anyways there are number of ways through which you can just download the paid apps for free ;) and the speed is really good. Even my galaxy s3 having quad core used to get stuck sometimes! but iphone 5 no chance, haven't experienced any lags yet and performance is lot better than any high end android phone.
iphone 5 is my 17 or 18th phone so far and i feel satisfied with its overall performance!

saichick04

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I've been there and done that with blackberry and android phones but the iPhone is my fav of all of them. I left my 4s for the galaxy nexus and then for the motorola droid HD. The droid had the best battery life to date but that's really all it had. There always a next big thing being released for Android and no one can catch up! :) Come on over my friend. It's a learning curve but once you get it you'll love it I promise!

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Been to Android and back..... More hype then anything.... had to do more to any device I have ever owned to work GOOD out of the box...

​iPhone 5 - No issues.

pottyvick

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I've had many androids. Gs4, Htc one s, Gs3, G2x, etc.... They all work good enough but do have a few isolated issues. It comes down to what you want from your phone. Android=Customization up the wahoo... iOS= Stability...

Good OL MC

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I've done stints with both iOS and Android and genuinely like both of them in different ways. I do always end up back on my iPhone though. Rather than tell you what's great about being on the iPhone I'll tell you what I miss about Android. If these things matter to you it could be more of a pain to switch than it is worth.

1. No file manager/everything in a silo
I'm still annoyed that if I want to email a document I can't do that easily without going to the app the document lives in and emailing it from there. With Android it is far easier to get files you need in the apps you want when you want them. On the flip side it is pretty annoying to have to go through a dozen or more different items on a phone or tablet just to get where you want to be.

2. Apps are powerful, but not free
The app situation on iOS is better than Android. Rene summed it up well in this article: The difference between iOS and Android developers and why it's not just a numbers game | iMore. The quality and inventiveness of the iOS app developer is currently better. That can always change but for now it's an iOS advantage. BUT, your apps will not roam free on your device. Because everything is kept in it's own sandbox the ability of apps to take root and become pervasive (think Google Now) is basically non-existent. Even something like auto-upload from Dropbox won't work well because it isn't allowed to keep going after a certain time. This could very well be changing in iOS 7 with it's new multitasking rules, but we'll need to see what happens.

3. Notifications
Android notifications - sweet, sweet Android notifications. You know what really kills me? Having a notification take up part of my screen when I'm watching a video or playing a game. Android just got this RIGHT. Not only is how the notification is presented better, but so is the management of multiple alerts. Android's notification center is incredibly powerful and is a wonderful task management system in and of itself. Yes, it can get overwhelming at times, but it is just so easy to get rid of individual items. You can pop over to the iOS 7 forums and see Apple's new take on the pull down and notifications in general, but it is just a slight improvement. (Warning: Android feels better in this regard, but sometimes iOS actually feels more efficient for me because I'm so annoyed by the system that it compels me to answer alerts quicker. Take that for what you will.)

Now, with all of that said, I still prefer iOS and for similar reasons other posters have gone over. This is just a different way of looking at it.

Tryptykon

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I came from Android over to iOS and I love it. My previous Android phone was a Motorola Droid 3 on Verizon and then I moved over to the iPhone 5 ( this being my first ever iPhone) and you couldn't even pay me a million dollars to go back to Android. Knowing I'll get OS updates and bug fixes straight from Apple themselves instead of the carriers is an awesome thing and the iPhone 5 is guaranteed at least 3 years of updates and support from its release date, that is something Android does not do, also all I hear of Android is whining about specs and how it is important to the Android platform, whereas for iOS, specs are not a big issue and I love that. One last thing is the Apple support in store and over the phone is top notch. I was in an Apple Store here in Little Rock looking to buy an Apple TV for my household and the employees there were so generous and helpful and that is something that also sold me on the iPhone 5. Switch today and enjoy the iOS life my friend

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR