Any 6 Plus Users Moving To A Different Phablet Other Than The 6S Plus?

dstrauss

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I am using a 6 Plus now, and just pre-ordered a 6s Plus on my AT&T Next 12 account. I've had iPhone's since day one in 2007, but always skipped the "s" models until this year, almost exclusively because of the improved camera. Along the way, I have owned and returned the Note 2, 3, and 4. The Note 5 is a dazzling improvement in design and function (the S-Pen is awesome as a Surface Pro 3 OneNote user - don't gag folks). The bottom line is the Note(s) always get returned or handed down to my Android relatives.

Now the "whys":

1. Android vs iOS is EXACTLY like Windows 95 vs OS whatever in its day - you could do batch files, scripts, and command line functions until you were blue in the face and shame the Mac into submission, at a ratio of 5 hours for every 2 on the Mac

2. iTunes/Apple Music - I am intractably stuck (and love it)

3. Apps - hundreds I'd have to replace, and most Android versions are shadows of the iOS version

4. It truly does "just work"

5. Apple Watch - a perfect pairing.

6. Better battery life (especially since no longer removable).

7. More storage (GN5 tops out at 64gb with no microSD card anymore)

Now the naysayers/skeptics out there will point to the fact that it is as much the Apple "walled garden" as anything else that is holding me captive, and to an degree (50%) you are right. But my phone is my primary camera and iOS has just excelled regardless of pixels (but I look forward to more Android-like tight crops now; thanks for pushing Apple into 21st century). Office for iOS works great for viewing docs and attachments. Maybe it is a bit of form over function, but that's also what makes it compelling if you are tired of HAVING to program your device yourself.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
You needn't get so upset, it's only a phone and nobody's stopping you from using the ignore feature

I haven't switched yet but I'm at about 95% towards switching to an iPhone after many years of android. I'm just tired of the issues. The number of them keeps growing year after year and the biggest ones have never been resolved in all the years I've stayed. The long updates have never been resolved. The quality of Google's coding of the OS doesn't steadily improve. Rather, each new version launches with a host of problems that take nearly a year of incremental patches to fix and then a new version comes out with more issues, rinse and repeat. If you're on a carrier phone, that becomes more like 18 months in total. Another way of looking at that is it's 3/4 of your contract.

I recently discovered that Samsung has placed two of the worst possible apps as bloat ware on the S6 too. Clean Master and McAfee AV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much for making the effort to show that I can be equally critical of Android and supportive of Apple. However tech changes extremely rapidly and some new arrivals along with core OS changes means my earlier opinions are now outdated. Thank you again nonetheless, one Like for you :)

Laughing Out Loud.

MKA1983

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I have to say that I have gotten bored with iphone over the years and I have tried to switch. Each time I've switched I haven't been able to last more than 24 hours. Just recently I switched to the edge plus. It's a beautiful design but I just can't get around the amazingly easy interface that the iPhone and iOS provides. I have not realized that I'll never be able to use another device as my main device. I'm also totally integrated into the ecosystem because I have an iPad, iPhone, iMac, MacBook Pro and an Apple TV. I'm enmeshed. If I could afford it and justify it, perhaps I would use a Samsung as a secondary line. I'm apple for life.

abarzua21

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I am. I love apple, but I'm an android fan, mainly because of the extra storage. Every year I buy my note phones, being a college student the pen is handy. This year I bought my Note 5 I do love it, but I'm switching back to apple. Android has taken away removal battery, SD card, & now u can't even use the device for a remote. So I pre-ordered my 6S plus

Posted via the iMore App on Note 5

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
This may be the first time that I don't buy the newest Note smartphone. Every time I have switched to Android in the last three years I have felt regret and not because the phone wasn't as good as my iPhone. In some instances the Note and other Android devices like the Nexus were better. But none of them were, are, or will be better than my iPad in my opinion. And that has always been the case. So I am ok with whatever iPhone that comes out because I know that it will be the perfect companion to my beloved iPad. So I'm not switching anymore as long as the iPad remains awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Actually I've done the Note 3 and then Note 4. I've been dissatisfied with both of them, they are great when you first get them, but they get slower with use. You'll eventually have to start clearing the partition cache and/or app cache on a regular basis to keep them running even halfway smooth without lagging. The Camera on the Note 4 is good in terms of taking pictures, slow to focus at times and very slow to actually launch and it was twice as fast as the Note 3. Also God forbid you want to look at a photo you just took while in the camera app it can take up to 30 seconds for it to show up and while that is going on your phone is frozen in time. If you stream music to like your car's head unit, be prepared for skipping and stuttering bluetooth audio, unless you want to keep your display on all the time, then it won't skip as much. I could go on and on.... By the way I am not alone in any of this all one has to do is look at Google's support web site and you'll find thread after thread after thread of users like myself with these issues.

So, YEAH I am swapping Phablets... I am going from a Note 4 to an iPhone 6S Plus! :)

I won't question your experience, and won't say that it hasn't happened to other people. However, I have had the Note 4 for almost a year and the only thing that I experienced on your list is slow focusing, which a tap on the screen resolves for me. Reviewing a picture has never taken anywhere near 30 seconds for me.

I've heard of this Bluetooth skipping; does it only occur in cars? I sync to a Bluetooth speaker at home and have never heard this skipping that people refer to.

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I normally always buy the new Note phone to try and test out. But this year I am taking a pass. While I am sure the Note 5 is a fantastic phone for a lot of people I do not think I will enjoy it. When I tested the phone at Best Buy I was not impressed by it at all. I am not saying the iPhone is the cats meow best device ever but for what I need the iPhone for now suits me better.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I normally always buy the new Note phone to try and test out. But this year I am taking a pass. While I am sure the Note 5 is a fantastic phone for a lot of people I do not think I will enjoy it. When I tested the phone at Best Buy I was not impressed by it at all. I am not saying the iPhone is the cats meow best device ever but for what I need the iPhone for now suits me better.
You should try it.

iAstonish01

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
First, a little background...

Last year, on launch day, I bought an iPhone 6. I'd planned on buying the 6 Plus but decided against it last minute because I thought it was too big. The 6 was a great phone and I loved it but 9 months later, I bought a Galaxy 6 Edge just to try for 14 days because it was just so beautiful and interesting. Well, it lasted an hour before I switched back and wanted to throw it in the garbage but because I paid full retail in cash, the store didn't have enough cash to give me back the full sum of what I paid and though the manager extended my return period indefinitely, I waited and waited and they just never had enough cash so I just decided to snag a 6 Plus instead for two reasons; I already knew I'd be happy with it (aside from the size, which was a wildcard) as I've loved all my iPhones and I also wanted to try out the size prior to the 6S launch because I knew it would be impossible to exchange a 6S Plus for a 6S or vice versa within the 14 days because as we all know, brand-new iPhones sell out for weeks, sometimes months at launch. So I loved the 6 Plus and the size was actually pretty great. I have huge hands so I was never worried about handling it but the pocket situation wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated, so I was ready and anxious to get my hands on the 6S Plus, that is, until I played with the Note 5 while in Best Buy. I've always wanted to try a Note but since they're always released a month or so after the iPhone, I've never bought one because I'd always just bought the new iPhone. This year, however, Samsung bumped up release to a month prior, and while I thought it seemed nice enough after it was announced, it wasn't until I used it in person that I was blown away by it. The quality is near Apple territory (and it should be since they shamelessly ripped off the iPhone 6 Plus design) and the new, refined version of Touch-Wiz is actually quite nice. The S-Pen is so handy and I constantly use it, but I'm also constantly double-checking myself to make sure I'm not inserting it backwards (Google it if you don't get the reference), which, by the way, if it were an Apple phone with that issue, it'd be on the front page of every paper in the world illustrating just how big of a failure Apple has become - but that's a story in itself. All in all, after the keynote today, I will not be returning the Note. When I bought it, I never expected to keep it, just give it a try since I'd never tried one before. However, it has knocked my expectations out of this world. The only two big drawbacks are the lack of native iTunes syncing because every last bit of my media is in iTunes and the second, possibly bigger drawback, is that the $700+ Watch that I just got on April 24th at 9:05am is now useless. I bought a Moto 360 to go with my Note, but it's not the same. The Apple Watch is worlds ahead of Android Wear, and that gap will only widen with the release of Watch OS 2.

So, I was just curious if anyone else is going to opt for something else this time around? While the 6 Plus and 6S Plus are phablets by nature, they don't seem to take advantage of the screen size the way the Note line does. If there's one phone that I see more people on this forum with that's used in tandem with an iPhone, it's the Note. I always thought it was probably a good phone, but now I know that it's really something special. It just makes me wish that Apple would port over some of the iPad features to the Plus line to really take advantage of the hardware. It didn't feel like as much of a missed opportunity until I got something that truly takes advantage of the larger screen, but now it's hard to oversee. The Note isn't the only other good phone or phablet out there, though, there are also great products from Moto, HTC, other Samsung phones like the Edge Plus), etc.

So, anyway, those are my thoughts and experiences. I'd like to hear from anyone else who's thinking of trying something else or from someone who has tried something else and ended up going back. I should also probably note that if I'd been using Touch Wiz instead of iOS for the past year (9 months of which was a single phone, which is the longest I've ever used a phone without switching), then this story would be reserved. My thoughts about the particulars of the OS's would remain, but I wouldn't be able to use Touch Wiz for that long either without a change. So it isn't that Apple really did anything horrible to lose me, I just needed a changed and noted a few things along the way. :)

Haha how did the note rip off the 6 plus? Sorry but I couldn't read past that. If anything Apple adapted late to the phablet game

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Haha how did the note rip off the 6 plus? Sorry but I couldn't read past that. If anything Apple adapted late to the phablet game

These things really struck me:

1) Unibody with antenna lines.

2) No more SD cards.

3) The shape of the device.

Besides the home button and camera location, these devices could easily be mistaken for the other.

Sure Apple copied by going into the phablet world. Oh well.

I'm still mad at Samsung though. I was really looking forward to the Note 5. With a removable battery and SD card. I'd have even been okay with just an SD card... But no. They just had to market to the Apple crowd...

\(•_•)/

Septembersrain is right, but also look at both phones from the bottom. They look almost exactly the same.

anon(9144744)

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Anyone think the picture in picture feature will ever come to the larger iPhones now that there are 2gb of ram to support it? There are those who remain nameless on this forum site that thought apple would never implement such a feature, and actually made fun of me for wanting it but now here it is on ipad.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Picture In Picture was on the Galaxy S and Note since the S2/Note 1. I am not sure how useful it is on a phone. I didn't find it useful at all, personally. The picture is too small, and there isn't enough screen left over to really do anything else on the phone with decent usability.

Regarding the thread subject: I actually think I'm going to go to the Note 5 (from the 6 Plus). You can get OIS and Turn off DIS for a much better field of view in the camera while recording video, which I do a lot with my phone. The iPhone 1080p video has a field of view similar to what I got on VGA cameras back in the day. The Digital Stabilization Algorithms crop too far into the picture. It looks like you zoomed into everything several feet and it's severely limits what you can capture without panning the camera. Makes me have to move the camera too much when recording [sports] which just causes more camera shake - and on a Tripod the Video is still getting cropped in even though there's no rationale for it in that use case (and no way to toggle it off). Also, can't do StroMotion from the video too well if you're constantly moving it, and since the field of view is so small it's hard to get everything in the frame without moving it. Basically it just causes too many issues for me.

Also have issues getting footage off of the phone in full resolution, as well as out of the Apple Photos App on my Mac. 1080p 60FPS video drags out as 720p 60FPS video, etc. HFR video pulled off the phone is in a much lower resolution, etc.

So I'm thinking about going to the Samsung so I can gain OIS and lose the Inability to turn off the Digital Stabilization. I want to be able to get data off the device easier without all these work arounds, like going to iCloud.com and bulk downloading what I need (which becomes incredibly hard when you have a lot of footage from the same general scene in there).

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Amazing how that happens.

Indeed, and almost all of the debates on forums about different products are by people who either have hardly ever used the alternative, have never used the alternative at all (but are simply parroting things they've read on the internet - where all things written are true), or haven't used the alternative in... quite a while.

I had a Note 3. Never had any issue with the Camera App launching. 1.5 seconds and it was up. Friend has a Galaxy S4 it's over 2 years old. Still runs great. Never had any issues previewing images in the gallery in any of those phones, either.

The only knock I have against the Note 5 is that they aren't doing more to maintain its traditionally long battery life, though I'm not exactly sure what to make of that since different carrier models seem to be getting wildly different battery life in reviews (like the T-Mobile variant getting half the screen on time of an AT&T variant).

Amy wineBerry

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Indeed, and almost all of the debates on forums about different products are by people who either have hardly ever used the alternative, have never used the alternative at all (but are simply parroting things they've read on the internet - where all things written are true), or haven't used the alternative in... quite a while. . . .

A thousand times this. You don't know how many debates I shut down by simply asking the other person when they used a device and for how long they used it. Smh.

Sent from my Galaxy Note5 using Tapatalk

anon(9144744)

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Picture In Picture was on the Galaxy S and Note since the S2/Note 1. I am not sure how useful it is on a phone. I didn't find it useful at all, personally. The picture is too small, and there isn't enough screen left over to really do anything else on the phone with decent usability.

Regarding the thread subject: I actually think I'm going to go to the Note 5 (from the 6 Plus). You can get OIS and Turn off DIS for a much better field of view in the camera while recording video, which I do a lot with my phone. The iPhone 1080p video has a field of view similar to what I got on VGA cameras back in the day. The Digital Stabilization Algorithms crop too far into the picture. It looks like you zoomed into everything several feet and it's severely limits what you can capture without panning the camera. Makes me have to move the camera too much when recording [sports] which just causes more camera shake - and on a Tripod the Video is still getting cropped in even though there's no rationale for it in that use case (and no way to toggle it off). Also, can't do StroMotion from the video too well if you're constantly moving it, and since the field of view is so small it's hard to get everything in the frame without moving it. Basically it just causes too many issues for me.

Also have issues getting footage off of the phone in full resolution, as well as out of the Apple Photos App on my Mac. 1080p 60FPS video drags out as 720p 60FPS video, etc. HFR video pulled off the phone is in a much lower resolution, etc.

So I'm thinking about going to the Samsung so I can gain OIS and lose the Inability to turn off the Digital Stabilization. I want to be able to get data off the device easier without all these work arounds, like going to iCloud.com and bulk downloading what I need (which becomes incredibly hard when you have a lot of footage from the same general scene in there).

8951ad92ad3aaa4bbb1e1213533b17fa.jpg
the picture in picture is the same size on my Note 3 that it is on my IPad. Might actually be a little bigger on the Note. Someone once said it was only two postage stamps in size, I was able to fit about 7 on there. The iPhone 6 Plus is pretty similar in size to the Note 3 and I'm able to watch pop up video on there comfortably while still having plenty of screen left to function in other activities. Not to mention the pop up video can be minimized further. I hope they bring it to iPhone one day. I actually find it useful. But it's not for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen