Android/Windows guy gets an iPad Pro

TemporalBeef

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone!

Let me preface this by saying that I'm mainly an Android guy (i have a Galaxy s8+ and use an NVIDIA Shield tablet), and a Windows guy. The last time I've owned an Apple product was in 2011 when I bought the iPad 2 (which I sold a year later), however, I do use a 27" iMac at work, so I have some experience with Apple products.

I've wanted to get into digital drawing more, and wanted to buy a tablet that would let me do so while on the go. After extensive research, and going hands-on with a ton of devices when I could, my final 4 choices were the Galaxy S3, the Galaxy Tab A 10.1 with S Pen, the Surface 4 pro and the iPad Pro.

I almost immediately discounted the Tab A, as it's simply-HD screen, while looking good color-wise, simply did not cut it resolution wise. I could see... PIXELS... dreaded, dreaded pixels. It also has a 16:9 screen ratio which just didn't seem to jive with drawing. At $270, I think it's a great deal for a mid-range Android tablet, but it just wasn't going to work for me.

So then I thought the S3 would fit the bill. Sure, it's a little pricey, but it's such an improvement on the Tab A. Beautiful screen, well-crafted, and it has the Android OS I know and love. But the S Pen still didn't feel right to me, in weight and length, and the screen was a bit small.

Then the surface pro. The surface pro is a great machine, but I just didn't get the feeling of a great experience using Win 10 on a mobile device. And if I wanted to get the non-mobile processor variations, I was looking at forking over a lot more dough.

So over the weekend, I decided to check out the iPad pro. For what I want it for, there's no comparison. None. For people to say otherwise is silly. The screen is absolutely unbelievable, and the lack of latency with the Apple Pencil is like drawing on paper, it just feels so good in my hand. The build quality is impressive, and I can't believe how light the device is. The speakers are a joy to listen to as well. It was tough deciding on whether or not to get the 10.5 or the 12.9, but I ultimately decided on the 10.5 since it will be a little more portable. If I decide I need the extra screen real estate, I'll pick up the next generation 12.9 model and give this one to my wife.

I like the improvements Apple's made to iOS over the years, and I'm looking forward to iOS 11.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Excellent!...and thank you for sharing your experience with us. It’s always nice reading a post like this. Thank you again...

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Your story is very similar to mine. Been using Windows for many years. Had the occasional Mac. Even installed OS X on a couple of non-Apple PCs. Had Windows phones. Have Android phones (S6 and S7 Edge). Have low end Windows 8.1 tablets. Have Android tablets (Galaxy S2).

Wanted a high end tablet. Looked at the Surface tablets, nearly bought the 3 when it came with Win 8.1, which is a better tablet OS than Win 10. The 4 was out of the question since it runs - nay, is shackled with - Win 10. The more I use Android, the less I like it.

So I first bought the 10.5" Pro. Liked it so much that a couple weeks later I bought a matching (same color and specs) 13" model. These are by far the best tablets available, period. Certainly for my use.

Ditto on liking where iOS is going. Not to mention that the hardware is astonishing.

kjung7

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I’ve previously tried the Surface Pro 4 and returned it after trying it out for a day. The device was awesome, but it lacked good battery life and I found that using it as a tablet didn’t really work too well. It didn’t have the app support in tablet mode. I think the Surface line is good as a temporary tablet, but it is mainly a computer. But Windows has come a long way, and they are starting to build in features that may really give them a good start when they attempt to get a holding in the mobile space again. But Apple is still ahead in mobile, and until Windows puts out an appealing hardware/software product then I agree iOS is ahead.

TemporalBeef

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
I think I just like the feel of the apple pencil more than anything else out there. The surface pen is a capable device, but personally I just like the size and weight of the pencil better.

shaleem

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I too was all about Android. I had a Samsung Galaxy S 2 9.7 Tablet. I am with AT&T and I was waiting and waiting and waiting for the Samsung Galaxy s 3 Tablet. Finally, after running out of patience, I decided to check out the iPad Pro 10.5. I wasn't expecting to like it as I had had an iPad Air a while back and didn't care for it. In fact, that is why I went with the Samsung Tab. Well, the new iPad Pro just blew me away. I'm still learning and getting used to it, but I'm convinced that I made the right decision.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a Android phone and everything else is Apple and they all work together very well. With Google apps it's very easy work between the two and having the new 10.5 iPad pro it's like having a iPhone 7 camera with me all the time.

sparksd

May 31, 2015
Visit site
I am happy with a mixed toolset - 10.5" iPP (upgrade from Air 2), Galaxy S7 Edge phone, 8" Galaxy Tab S2 tablet, and Dell XPS 13 9350 Windows 10 laptop. The iPad is a very polished, professional product that has really impressed me.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I am happy with a mixed toolset - 10.5" iPP (upgrade from Air 2), Galaxy S7 Edge phone, 8" Galaxy Tab S2 tablet, and Dell XPS 13 9350 Windows 10 laptop. The iPad is a very polished, professional product that has really impressed me.

It’s always great to own a few devices running different OS.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xoc