Android users who have made the switch to the iphone 7+

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I started out with Android, the OG Droid, Galaxy Nexus, 2014 Moto X Pure edition, and the 2013 Nexus 7 tablet. My wife has always been on Apple since we met and I have a number of friend/family on Apple though surprisingly my parents ended up on Galaxy S5's when they made the jump from "Jitterbug" flip phones to smartphones. (I told them try everything and get what they like) I really thought they'd actually end up with Apple.

Anyway I saw the reveal stuff for the 6s/6s+ and the 3D touch etc. and thought that it sounded like a really useful new feature if it could take off. I was also on a neverending search to get a decent camera in a smartphone and I was stuck on really want to stay with Google's Nexus route for the faster updates and ability to really tweak though the Moto X Pure is unlocked etc so there was some tweaking that could be done but not nearly the aftermarket ROM support as a Nexus or now the Pixel would have. Also historically Nexus phones have had some of the worst cameras on the planet and I hated Samsung's cartoonish OS overlay.

I knew Apple usually had what were considered pretty good cameras though and so that along with the desire to try out what I read were more polished apps (comparing Android to iOS versions side by side) and realizing Apple had integrated a lot of the OS features I really liked in Android I decided to make the jump in Oct 2015 with a 6s+ and then last year a 7+ (both under Apple's new "upgrade program"). Of course then the Pixel came out, but I'm still here with Apple. Actually picked up a 2017 iPad to replace my Nexus 7 finally though I'll keep it around to play with a bit still since it's not worth anything.

vintage2714

Apr 15, 2017
Visit site
I left back in march l was apart of the note7 nightmare. I also felt it was time to make the switch so I can FaceTime with the rest of my family. And I was able to get a free iPhone 7 plus for my daughter.i was a huge android fan, before that I've had blackberry and an iPhone 4 I also left sprint when I switched to iPhone for At&t.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Everything is smoother than what I was experiencing on Android with my Note 5. My Note 7 was the best Samsung device I had ever had for the length of time we all had it. I was hoping I would be happy with the Note 5 . I had to get the 32 gig which wasn't working for me and had been promised the 64 gig would be sent to me. It was on backorder for two months. And then received an email saying cancelled by Samsung and would not be getting the 64 gig . I could upgrade to the 7S or the edge and didn't want either. Having the Samsung watch on contract I was "stuck". Then I heard Samsung was partnering with Apple and the watch was going cross platforms and work on the iphone. I called Verizon to confirm and BOOM....I made the switch and got a huge trade in value for making the switch. A sweet deal I couldn't decline. The watch worked well as Bluetooth enabled but I had heard good things about the Apple Watch and so it began. A month within having the iphone 7+ I got a great deal on the watch. I really like the Apple Watch. I have the 12.9 iPad Pro and 2015 Mac Pro. Made the big switch all in Apple and am really enjoying it.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Once I got over the customization features on Android (and by got over mean it wasn't a big deal to me), plus the latest iOS updates over last 2 years have been great I moved over to iPhone. The experience on the 7+ has been stellar, the simplicity which is something I dreaded a few years back and optimization is almost flawless. I get why people prefer Android, but the pros of that platform could not hold weight to iOS in terms of what matters to me. My only with iOS and Apple is I just wish the OS major updates (9x, 10x, 11x) would have more BIG changes, minor customization would be very nice.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Once I got over the customization features on Android (and by got over mean it wasn't a big deal to me), plus the latest iOS updates over last 2 years have been great I moved over to iPhone. The experience on the 7+ has been stellar, the simplicity which is something I dreaded a few years back and optimization is almost flawless. I get why people prefer Android, but the pros of that platform could not hold weight to iOS in terms of what matters to me. My only with iOS and Apple is I just wish the OS major updates (9x, 10x, 11x) would have more BIG changes, minor customization would be very nice.

I'm interested to know if when you made the switch in phones if you made the switch in ecosystems as well. Are you all apple or google when it comes maps, mails, photos, etc?

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm interested to know if when you made the switch in phones if you made the switch in ecosystems as well. Are you all apple or google when it comes maps, mails, photos, etc?

The ecosystem switch is definitely a challenge. Coming over to iPhone I gave up on google now and location as I found it was eating my battery, plus since I use CarPlay I can't use google maps so have that up too. I still use google photos, gmail, calendar, and google+, as well as google is my primary search engine. The reality for me while you can use googles ecosystem on iPhone I don't find it works as well as it did on android (obviously), so I mix between the two ecosystems. Because my wife has been an iPhone person for many years, using apples ecosystem to share and combine accounts just makes my life easier now.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I still use Google and have no issues. My battery life excellent. I find everything I used on Android more fluid on Apple . I miss customizing but have gotten used to it. I don't miss the lagging freezing that I had on Android
I appreciate all Apple offers. I didn't switch for what people think of Apple as being easy. I switched because of frustration and other issues.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I also use the apple email. I will sometimes use Apple maps but am used to using Google.
I don't have home wifi. I would be stuck using Dish satellite's internet or Century Link. The town I live in for some reason won't allow COX and it is frustrating to me. I use a jetpak from Verizon...have it on contract and my internet for my laptop is used with the jetpak. It's convenient and better than using my phone tethered. At first though with my HP I thought it was the jetpak causing it to be sluggish. It had been working great prior. It turned out to be the HP and it was less than a yr old. I got the Mac Pro end of Feb and there have been no issues on the reliability. It is blazing fast. So it wasn't the jetpak. I had told myself yrs ago I would never use Apple products and "never" shouldn't be in the dictionary. Here I am and not looking back. I am very well pleased. I never overloaded my laptops with stuff. I don't play games and I don't visit sites that can crate havoc. My antivirus was the best on the market...Vipre and never had a crash or issue.
I am just glad to have devices that work. I need them for work and fun and Apple has impressed me. My brother has a standing joke statement for me...so thought you hate Apple. LOL. He made the switch 5 yrs ago. His job like mine, uses Apple.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I still use Google and have no issues. My battery life excellent. I find everything I used on Android more fluid on Apple .

I guess it was my experience, do you leave your locations services always on? do you use google now and Apple services together? I found most of the battery draining for me came from google now and my location, which I could shut off but I found opening google app for google now to be less useful afterwards. It runs smooth but I find google services just more integrated on android, as expected since it's their platform.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I don't have a problem. My battery life is good. It really doesn't matter what I use. Not everyone uses their phone the same way.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I guess it was my experience, do you leave your locations services always on? do you use google now and Apple services together? I found most of the battery draining for me came from google now and my location, which I could shut off but I found opening google app for google now to be less useful afterwards. It runs smooth but I find google services just more integrated on android, as expected since it's their platform.

That's what I found too. You had to be a lot more careful on Android than on iPhone.

bigdave757

Jul 21, 2017
Visit site
I switched from android after having it for the past 4 years. I got tired of the battery issues I was having. I would have to charge my phone at least twice a day and it got really old. I've had my iPhone 7 plus for about 5 days and I absolutely love it. Since i last had apple, which was the iPhone 4, things have changes a lot. I am very pleased with apple and I look forward to vetting iOS updates on time!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
My Nite 5 ate battery life horribly and o was just over it. The Nite7 was great but we know how that ended
I was very happy to switch to Apple. It's been excellent. Not new to Apple because we use the iPad at work. But new on a personal level. I am not frustrated like I was. Being a store manager I have enough on my plate to deal with. I do need my phone for work as well and I don't need to worry whether or not my phone is going to work and maintain a charge. It's personal choice and I am glad I made the switch.

ebrandwein

Oct 3, 2000
Visit site
I switched back to the iPhone after about five years with Android. I do miss the granular control that Andriod provided (widgets, file managers, shared doc folders, launchers etc) but the bugs were killing me. In my last two droids, a Nexus 6 and an Honor 8, both running Nougat, the phones would regularly drop the pdf file extension when emailing a document. There was a workaround (manually rename the file before sending and add the .pdf) but it was a pain and I often forgot to do it. Doze, Android's power management software didn't seem to do anything. Battery life on both machines was ok under Marshmallow but awful with Nougat. And no amount of fiddling with the power settings seemed to make any significant difference. Neither phone was popular enough to merit a Mophie juice pack (Zerolemon has one for the Nexus. It was crap though) so external power packs were a must when traveling.

The final straw came when my employer required us to use a secure exchange email client if we wanted to use our own phones for office communication. The choices were not very good. Touchdown was clunky but it worked. It's developer just EOL'd it though. Airwatch Agent's email client was awful and Blackberry's wasn't much better. The Apple email client is apparently secure enough that we can use it without issue. And it works pretty well.

Lastly, the infrequent security patches for Android made me feel a bit iffy. The Nexus 6 got them pretty regularly but that phone will not be supported for too much longer. It is a 2014 model after all. The Honor rarely got such updates. Not good.

So far, I am adjusting to the iPhone way of doing things pretty well. Apple has added some very useful features to the latest version of the OS. It isn't quite as flexible as Android but it does get the job done once you get used to it.

mike770

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I came from the Nexus 6p in April 2016 to the iPhone 6s Plus and have had no regrets about switching. I really liked Android but got tired of continuous tinkering to keep it working. iOS just works.

Same here. I made the switch from the LG G6 to the iPhone 7+ this past June. I too really liked Android but got tired of tinkering with the OS to eek out as much of the battery life as possible. I don't want to turn off certain feature and functions to make the phone's battery life last. I understand that the Pixel did alleviate at lot of this but I did not like the appearance of the phone. I know that that is petty but it is what it is. Also, the same apps seem (at least to me) to run smoother on ios that they do on Android.

The iPhone just works as it should and the battery life on my 7+ is phenomenal without the need to compromise features, etc is the long and the short of it.

Last edited:

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I switched back to the iPhone after about five years with Android. I do miss the granular control that Andriod provided (widgets, file managers, shared doc folders, launchers etc) but the bugs were killing me. In my last two droids, a Nexus 6 and an Honor 8, both running Nougat, the phones would regularly drop the pdf file extension when emailing a document. There was a workaround (manually rename the file before sending and add the .pdf) but it was a pain and I often forgot to do it. Doze, Android's power management software didn't seem to do anything. Battery life on both machines was ok under Marshmallow but awful with Nougat. And no amount of fiddling with the power settings seemed to make any significant difference. Neither phone was popular enough to merit a Mophie juice pack (Zerolemon has one for the Nexus. It was crap though) so external power packs were a must when traveling.

The final straw came when my employer required us to use a secure exchange email client if we wanted to use our own phones for office communication. The choices were not very good. Touchdown was clunky but it worked. It's developer just EOL'd it though. Airwatch Agent's email client was awful and Blackberry's wasn't much better. The Apple email client is apparently secure enough that we can use it without issue. And it works pretty well.

Lastly, the infrequent security patches for Android made me feel a bit iffy. The Nexus 6 got them pretty regularly but that phone will not be supported for too much longer. It is a 2014 model after all. The Honor rarely got such updates. Not good.

So far, I am adjusting to the iPhone way of doing things pretty well. Apple has added some very useful features to the latest version of the OS. It isn't quite as flexible as Android but it does get the job done once you get used to it.

I also found that once 7.0 got released my 6P went from running fantastic to just a slew of problems.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I also found that once 7.0 got released my 6P went from running fantastic to just a slew of problems.

Same thing happened with Lollipop to Marshmallow. It seemed that there was more complaints from the people that updated to marshmallow and they wanted to go back to lollipop.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
My Nite 5 ate battery life horribly and o was just over it. The Nite7 was great but we know how that ended
I was very happy to switch to Apple. It's been excellent. Not new to Apple because we use the iPad at work. But new on a personal level. I am not frustrated like I was. Being a store manager I have enough on my plate to deal with. I do need my phone for work as well and I don't need to worry whether or not my phone is going to work and maintain a charge. It's personal choice and I am glad I made the switch.

My Note 5 only lasted for 3 hours and I had no idea why. That's why I love the Plus, I always get a minimum of 4 hours of usage and countles hours of standby.