Android user thinking about taking the plunge

DudeThatsErin

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

So, you may have seen my other posts about how I had an iPhone 5, 5s and 6 and returned all of them but I'm really trying to get my "forever phone" as my friends and I call it. I want to get a phone that I will use for 2 years and after that, once it starts breaking down and there get to be too many bugs for me to handle, I'll upgrade. I really want that phone to be the iPhone 6 or the LG G3. I've seen all of the other phones on the market and I've owned Samsung devices for too long that owning another one would just bore me. I currently own and use an LG G3 as my primary driver. Here is what I think about the LG G3 and the iPhone 6...

LG G3-
Pros - It is a great phone.
1) Little to no, noticeable lag for my day-to-day use.
2) battery life lasts me about as long as I need it to (with some days coming really close and needing to plug it in as soon as I return to my dorm) 3) Wi-Fi is reliable.
4) I really like the knock on feature though having to swype to get into my phone is annoying. I'd much rather be able to unlock it without having to swype and know that if I have it in my purse it wouldn't be purse dialing all of my contacts or everyone in my call log.
5) I like the customizability for android and even though I have a huge con with this phone, I would still recommend it to people as they may not be doing the same things I am so their phone might not overheat/get warm.
6) I like how I can use MightyText and MySMS to sync texts to my Windows PC and laptop so that I can text from there. I actually use this quite frequently simply because I'm too lazy to get my phone and text on it and when I am texting something long, it is easier to type it out than to dictate it or use the phone itself. When continuity comes out this won't be a problem as I have a keyboard for my iPad that I can use for my iPhone or just use continuity on my iPad and text from there so, this wouldn't be a big deal but continuity isn't out yet.
7) The removable battery has always been something I liked on my phones though I don't need it necessarily. I had to replace my Samsung batteries as they went bad fast but my LG G3 battery has been fine though I think I need to replace it soon due to the overheating.
8) IR Blaster & Back Button. I use both of these though I didn't think I would use the IR Blaster. I use the IR Blaster more for laziness rather than actually needing it. It is buggy though it works. I have to point it directly at the space on my TV where my regular remote can be pointed behind me and can work sometimes. I didn't think the back button was important to me but it seems to be really important to me.

Cons -
1) It gets hot to the point where I can't even use the back buttons. Which half of the time I use the back power button and the other half I use knock on. I can't even turn the volume up or down while it is hot cause it hurts to touch the phone. I am not running any apps continuously. Last time this happened, I was listening to music using Spotify and I had maybe 3 apps in my task launcher open while trying to search google via Wi-Fi with Wi-Fi connectivity going out as I was heading to the bus stop to ride the bus back to my dorm. It was about 88*F outside and I was hot because I was wearing jeans as I thought I would be in class but it was cancelled. So, my body heat, combined with me listening to music for the 20 minutes I was listening (about 5 minutes after I started listening to music it got warm and was getting warmer gradually), combined with the heat outside, combined with the awful Wi-Fi reception where I was all made it get warm.
I hate it that all of the android phones I have owned have gotten warm to the point where it hurts to touch the screen in some places and or buttons. I feel like I can't even use the phone. While it is fine while I am in my dorm, I can't use my phone while at the beach or anything like that because it just gets too hot to use and the battery goes from 100% to 0% in 1-2 hours use or non-use I should say. So, this is a big con for me. This has happened with all of the 4 (yes, 4) LG G3's I've owned since it was released.
2) Battery life doesn't seem to be consistent. This could be due to the overheating issue but sometimes I can make it to 3pm (when I unplug around 8am) with 50+% battery life left, other days I have 5% battery life when I get back to my dorm at 3pm or my phone could have already died. That isn't even a full day of using the phone. I'm not a heavy user, I maybe play word search on my phone. I generally keep the brightness at 0 unless I'm outside, then I use auto brightness (same if I am home and near a charger). I generally only listen to music for 5-10 minutes between classes and maybe I send 1-2 texts unless I get into a fight, then I send a lot more but generally I don't send more than 20 texts, even in the fight.
3) I can't use this phone one handed. Not a big deal as I have always texted with two hands but it would be nice if I could quickly text something with one hand and get on with my day.
4) It is too customizable. I get into trouble where I can waste 1-2 days customizing my phone and I don't do anything else, including school. So, this is a pro and it is a con for me.
5) No iMessage. Read below.

iPhone 6-
Pros -
1) Overheating is kept to a minimum. While my phone did get warm, it wasn't nearly as warm as my LG G3 can get and it didn't get warm as fast as my LG G3 does. iOS is reliable though the Wi-Fi issue is annoying.
2) It will sync with my iPad once continuity comes along. Mail already does sync though.
3) Reliable w/fantastic support from Apple. I have not 1 complaint about Apple support. It is extremely reliable and they have stores where you can go to Apple Geniuses to get help.
4) Battery life is a lot more reliable. While the overheating is kept to a minimum I can always seem to rely on my iPad Air's battery life. I can pretty much predict what percentage it is at when I don't use it for a while yet it is on. It last me at least a week on a single charge if I don't use it and about 3 days if I do use it. Less if I use it for heavy usage but generally it can last me 24-36 hours with heavy usage. My other iPhones have been the same way when it comes to battery life. I really like that.
5) I'm obsessed with being able to use iMessage. It is a really nice feature that Apple has and I am bummed that Android/Google hasn't received something like this yet. iMessage gets its own pro and con as it is that important/nice of a feature in my eyes.
6) Customization is limited. Read LG G3 pro/con above.

Cons -
1) Can't send/receive texts on my computer though this will not be as big of a deal once continuity comes out. Then I can just my iPad keyboard to text from my iPad.
2) The only thing available near me is the 16GB storage size. 64GB would be okay and I would go crazy if I could get another 128GB. I would have kept the iPhone 6 Space Gray 128GB if I were smart but alas I was stupid.
3) It is TONS more expensive than just keeping the phone I have paid off through T-Mobile. I would be paying $600-1,100 for a new phone + case + screen protector or nothing except my monthly bill for the phone & accessories I have. I can spare the money but that is still a lot of money.
4) No back button. This is simply an annoyance rather than a con but I had to include it.
5) Customization is limited. Read LG G3 pro/con above.
6) I can't really sell the LG G3 on eBay due to my reputation and I'm not sure about any other place where I could sell it... plus I'm not 100% sure I could sell it as it is my baby. I spent the money on it... but if I didn't sell it, what would I use it for other than to keep switching back and forth which is something I want to stop doing. LOL
7) I'd have to redo all of my settings to make sure that Wi-Fi issue (link in first pro) doesn't happen. Then wait for 8.1 to hopefully resolve the issue.

Some commonalities between the two-
They both have just as many bugs as each other. They may not all be present at the same time but generally all phones have bugs.
Battery life would end up being around the same with my usage as I would not be able to stop using my iPhone 6. LOL
Cameras are about the same for what I would use them for. Pictures of my animals and stuff, nothing professional.

-------------------------
All-in-all, I want a phone that just plain works. I know the iPhone 6 can do that for me. All of the T-Mobile stores in my area only have the 16GB version available though I really want the 128GB version. I have been promised that I can get free overnight shipping if I have it shipped to me though overnight would be free 2-day shipping due to the fact that it would be shipping to my dorm and that takes an extra day. Not a bad thing just an annoyance. Plus overnight really means up to 45-business days. ugh.

Costco near me has the 64GB. Not sure what color but I want to get that one if I could. I wouldn't be able to use my JUMP! program though which really isn't a bother as I usually pay off my phone completely before I upgrade anyway.

Anyway, do you guys think I should stick with my LG G3 or go with the iPhone 6 and sell my LG G3?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
You will likely dislike my response, but honestly it is the best, most honest response I can give you: I think you should go with your gut and get what you think will best serve your needs. There is not one soul here who can tell you which way to go better than you can tell yourself, and no one here has the ability to foresee the future in order to tell you with which you would be happiest.

That said, no matter what you do, don't settle for 16GB if you are thinking that you would benefit from more space. Patience in that situation would serve you well. Best of luck in your decision.

05GT

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I have the G3 and a 128GB 6. The only things that really bugged me about the G3 was the heat, and then after a while the lag to get to the apps folder increased to at least a second or more after pressing the button. Other than that I love the G3, and I switch back and forth. It's kind of hard to break completely away from Android.

DudeThatsErin

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
You will likely dislike my response, but honestly it is the best, most honest response I can give you: I think you should go with your gut and get what you think will best serve your needs. There is not one soul here who can tell you which way to go better than you can tell yourself, and no one here has the ability to foresee the future in order to tell you with which you would be happiest.

That said, no matter what you do, don't settle for 16GB if you are thinking that you would benefit from more space. Patience in that situation would serve you well. Best of luck in your decision.

Agreed. I'm very impatient so that would be hard.

I have the G3 and a 128GB 6. The only things that really bugged me about the G3 was the heat, and then after a while the lag to get to the apps folder increased to at least a second or more after pressing the button. Other than that I love the G3, and I switch back and forth. It's kind of hard to break completely away from Android.
I agree. I notice the lag but mostly it is just with Swiftkey. Wish is a shame cause swiftkey is cool.

It is hard to go away from Android. Maybe I will keep switching and just screw it if I have some texts here and some texts there. LOL

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2