Android to iPhone 8 Plus

NightOrchid

Sep 10, 2017
Visit site
Hi to all on iMore

Ive been using and have owned almost every Android device since the Galaxy S, in fact, Ive ben using them that long.. Ive started buying and selling them almost every month in order to find one that makes me feel like its worth keeping, but now a days with Android 8 .. these devices are all the same.. and they ALL have problems and issues.. whether its the Camera, poor battery life, Apps that dont always work, inconsistent OS and security updates.. Ive had enough of Android...

I have tried to switch to iPhone before where I tried about 3 - 4 of the 7 Plus devices, but all suffered from the "Watercolor Effect" on the camera and poor battery, so I bit the bullet, plumped down the extra cash (£10) and bought a 64GB Gold 8 Plus..

I ended up just paying £10 for it because the iPhone 7+ I bought was a BNIB unlocked one, but because the camera had the Watercolor effect AGAIN.,.. I took it back and bought a "Repackaged" 8+, but as it turned out... the so-called "Repackaged" one was a BNIB unused 8+ but it had the headphones and dongle missing and it was network locked to O2UK.. So I was over the moon and snapped it up

Ive gotta say... Wow, I love it.. Its so great and a breath of fresh air.. fast, fluid.. fantastic screen, rich sounding and loud speakers, fantastic cameras.. and everyone gets the updates together.. No more flashing different Roms.. and apps work perfectly as they should.. It just works..

If I had to say anything about it.. its having to have iTunes on my PC to transfer Music and add things like Wallpaper and Tones.. it all seems quite hard work... but its like anything new... thats just the fun of it and its best to enjoy it...

Iam still testing the camera as Ive only had it 2 days but So far, Im really loving it, its an excellent phone / Media player and work horse..

Just looking forward to testing this camera :)

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I can relate with regards to the camera of the iPhone I've had the 7 (3 different ones), 7+ (2 different ones) and 8+ (2 different ones) with the same "watercolour effect"

Currently on my second 8+ - still same camera effect, but I may return to the S8+; which I didn't have a bad experience with back in June last year.

Hope the switch works out for you

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I came from all Google / Nexus / Pixel devices but the constant to tinkering and tweaking just got old.

Started with the 6s, then 6s+, now on the 7+. Staying with this device until the next one is compatible with either Tmobile's 600MHz band or the New Tmobile network.

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I've used Android since the first HTC G1 also, blackberry. Windows, and Palm. And bounced back and forth to iOS. My latest Android was the S7. O also has a Note 5. I went back to iOS and now I'm on the iPhone X. I'm pretty sure I'm staying put and pretty much done bouncing back and forth. I also have the iPad Pro 10.5.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I've also been a huge Android user but I'm sticking with iPhone as my main device just because of security. I had a Samsung Galaxy S9+ up until Monday of this week and it was still on the February 1, 2018 security patch. That's unacceptable to me. I returned it and I'm sticking with my iPhone X. I'm actually thinking about picking up an iPhone 8 Plus as a backup and as a media consumption phone just because I think the battery life in the X is just average.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Good luck with your new iPhone. I jumped over to Apple 17 months ago. Very pleased. Fed up with Samsung and Android. Am all in and not looking back

pkguy323

Feb 25, 2018
Visit site
I jumped from iOS to Android about 6 years ago because iCloud was a mess, Siri wasn’t connected well and I didn’t like the walled garden.

2 months ago I got all back in to Apple because things work now and Siri is on my Mac, watch, iPad, and iPhone. iCloud is light years ahead and Photos does what I need it to. iMessages and FaceTime keep family and friends connected better than anytime on Android. I am an iTunes fan. Love the deep tagging possibilities.

I chose the 8 Plus for the battery life, button on front, and not having Face ID. Best phone ever for me.

wxboss

May 20, 2018
Visit site
I just switched to the iPhone 8+ almost a week ago after being an Android user for about 7 years straight. I value the privacy and security features that Apple has built into iOS - and this is my primary reason for switching.

That said, after using it for a while, I am really enjoying the whole experience. The 8+ just feels more solid and performs more capably than the Galaxy S8 I had. The camera is also fantastic among many other things I could name here. Everyone has their own preferences and that's fine, but I think if someone wants a good, solid, structured OS that continues to support (upgrade) users longer than they will probably own a particular phone, than making the move to an iPhone is a no-brainer.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I've used Android since the first HTC G1 also, blackberry. Windows, and Palm. And bounced back and forth to iOS. My latest Android was the S7. O also has a Note 5. I went back to iOS and now I'm on the iPhone X. I'm pretty sure I'm staying put and pretty much done bouncing back and forth. I also have the iPad Pro 10.5.

LOL, In all fairness, some of your other choices were better but unfortunately they no longer exist. It's a no brainer that Palm and Blackberry were way ahead of their time as evidenced by the move to gestures and the removing of any buttons on the face.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I just switched to the iPhone 8+ almost a week ago after being an Android user for about 7 years straight. I value the privacy and security features that Apple has built into iOS - and this is my primary reason for switching.

That said, after using it for a while, I am really enjoying the whole experience. The 8+ just feels more solid and performs more capably than the Galaxy S8 I had. The camera is also fantastic among many other things I could name here. Everyone has their own preferences and that's fine, but I think if someone wants a good, solid, structured OS that continues to support (upgrade) users longer than they will probably own a particular phone, than making the move to an iPhone is a no-brainer.

I just like any iphone designs better than any other small devices. Like the plain simple look.

On the 8 plus the battery life is impressive.

wxboss

May 20, 2018
Visit site
I just like any iphone designs better than any other small devices. Like the plain simple look.

On the 8 plus the battery life is impressive.

The battery life has exceeded my expectations quite a bit! I came from a Galaxy S8 and the battery life is average to sometimes poor, but the iPhone 8+ is just awesome. :D

akutch34

Trusted Member
Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi to all on iMore

Ive been using and have owned almost every Android device since the Galaxy S, in fact, Ive ben using them that long.. Ive started buying and selling them almost every month in order to find one that makes me feel like its worth keeping, but now a days with Android 8 .. these devices are all the same.. and they ALL have problems and issues.. whether its the Camera, poor battery life, Apps that dont always work, inconsistent OS and security updates.. Ive had enough of Android...

I have tried to switch to iPhone before where I tried about 3 - 4 of the 7 Plus devices, but all suffered from the "Watercolor Effect" on the camera and poor battery, so I bit the bullet, plumped down the extra cash (£10) and bought a 64GB Gold 8 Plus..

I ended up just paying £10 for it because the iPhone 7+ I bought was a BNIB unlocked one, but because the camera had the Watercolor effect AGAIN.,.. I took it back and bought a "Repackaged" 8+, but as it turned out... the so-called "Repackaged" one was a BNIB unused 8+ but it had the headphones and dongle missing and it was network locked to O2UK.. So I was over the moon and snapped it up

Ive gotta say... Wow, I love it.. Its so great and a breath of fresh air.. fast, fluid.. fantastic screen, rich sounding and loud speakers, fantastic cameras.. and everyone gets the updates together.. No more flashing different Roms.. and apps work perfectly as they should.. It just works..

If I had to say anything about it.. its having to have iTunes on my PC to transfer Music and add things like Wallpaper and Tones.. it all seems quite hard work... but its like anything new... thats just the fun of it and its best to enjoy it...

Iam still testing the camera as Ive only had it 2 days but So far, Im really loving it, its an excellent phone / Media player and work horse..

Just looking forward to testing this camera :)

Congrats, welcome, enjoy!

STiK

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I currently have the iPhone 8 Plus and the Pixel 2. I have been using Android since the OG Droid. I decided to give the Apple ecosystem a try as my son uses an iPhone and being on the same platform just seemed to make sense.

While I really love the hardware of the 8 plus, I find that the switch seems to be a fairly difficult one as I am essentially all in on Googles ecosystem. Everything just works together on the Pixel where as using Google products on the iPhone isn't as easy as the integration is just not there. Apple has a very convoluted way of using/sharing from apps that aren't part of Apples ecosystem. Lack of ability to make other apps default is also disturbing. With that said, I assume that adds to the security in iOS that you just don't get with Android.

Performance wise, both are really fast. The Pixel handles 3rd party apps a bit better as I get a lot of janky scrolling on iOS with a lot of 3rd party apps. I am assuming that is on the apps developer and not Apple. The camera on the Pixel is a bit better in most conditions but that 2X zoom makes up for that difference. I really love that feature more than I thought that I would. Then there is bluetooth. The iPhone seems to handle bluetooth so much better than the Android devices that I have used.. Except.. When watching video on my 8 Plus, the AV sync is just not there using my Jaybird X3s and Sony WH100XM2s. That alone puts the iPhone on borderline unusable to me as I watch a lot of video/TV on this thing. Hopefully this is something that is fixed in short order.

In the end, I am kind of committed to giving this ecosystem a chance. I have purchased a few apps to personalize the experience and for the most part, other than customizability, there really is no huge difference between Android and iOS. They both accomplish essentially the same things but go about it in different ways.

fritzd

Aug 25, 2018
Visit site
I switched from what seems to be a lifetime of Androids because my fellow wildland firefighters ALL use iPhones. You can't do much with an Android in that world, including offline map sharing, photos, etc. It's taken about a week to really start getting a hint of how to use the ios at an acceptable level of skill.

I got the Red 256 GB, and a extended battery case, which went 64 hrs of moderate to heavy use without a charge. I'm starting to drink the Kool-aid.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh