Android to Apple

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
After carrying two different devices for years I finally settled for on phone and I picked the iPhone 13 mini. I gave my pro to my son and sold my s21 5g.

A little over nine years ago I did basically the same thing. I was using and carrying a Blackberry Z10, Samsung SG3 and then a Note 3 along with my iPhone 5s. Long story short, one day I looked on my nightstand and ask myself WHY? I got rid of everything except for my iPhone, and I've been with Apple ever since.

Last edited:

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
A little over nine years ago I did basically the same thing. I was using and carrying a Blackberry Z10, Samsung SG3 and then a Note 3 along with my iPhone 5s. Long story short, one day I looked on my nightstand and ask myself WHY? I got rid of everything except for my iPhone, and been with Apple ever since.

I had two devices for work and personal but when I retired I finally went to one device with two numbers but now only my personal number.

So glad two devices are over loved having android and apple but I made my final choice and stuck with Apple.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
They do work great as stereo paired with AppleTV. I switched out an old soundbar for dual HomePod minis when I saw a rare Mini sale for 90$ at Costco. But there are caveats:
- they are very loud for a small TV room, definitely loud enough for a midsize-ish tv room. Large TV rooms are too big for the minis to cover except maybe during quietest times. They need the OG (RIP)HomePods imho.
- For bass, size matters. Bass is quite good for its size but the low frequencies are where the old soundbar wins out. Apple tamped down the bass, they had to. If they allowed more bass, at full volume you’d need to glue it to the table or it would do a vibrate dance movement off its table/surface. (I have a Sony extra bass small Bluetooth speaker. anything close to full volume and it starts slowly boom boom vibrating its way off its table, no good).

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I use Siri every day with my HomePods. Lights, tv, music, timers, calendar entries, weather report. It works very good for this (timers give me trouble sometimes) — which is to say like all smart voice assistants, they almost always get and execute the request, emphasis on the word almost. I’ve also used and use Alexa at GFs house. If you are asking deep dive questions or asking vague oddities, Siri does not match Alexa. Siri will sometimes say ‘I’ve found something on the internet, I’ll send it to your iPhone’. And on some humorous odd ones (blame it on the wine), Siri will actually ignore you while Alexa will answer you, lol, though beware of some answers.
A couple of tips to pass on:
*Volume can be set by “hey siri volume 80%” (or whatever percent). Use “Volume up” or down command only when you need a small up or down volume correction.
*subscribe to Apple Music if you have a HomePod mini. Yes you can Airplay anything to HomePod but the native capability is better usage.
*if you run into scenarios where siri answers on the wrong device, I believe you can lay your iPhone facedown then ask again.
*Dont name your Apple music playlists with “Rock” or “80s”. Give it more unique name. A “80s” named playlist may get you random 80s songs playing instead of your playlist when you say “hey Siri playlist 80s”.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I could see it being useful on iPad (never tried), but I can guess that on iPhone it hasn’t been implemented because for the vast majority it’s not a needed or useful feature. With the screen real estate of an iPad I’d probably use it, but in all the years I had an Android I maybe used it 10 or less times because I’d end up exiting out - more navigating around with two apps open. But that might have just been my particular use case.
I've frequently used split screen with two apps to watch YouTube livestreams and chat with a friend simultaneously whilst we both watch the livestreams. That's usually on my Android phone, not my Android tablet.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I've frequently used split screen with two apps to watch YouTube livestreams and chat with a friend simultaneously whilst we both watch the livestreams. That's usually on my Android phone, not my Android tablet.

You can do that on IOS too with pip video, you can even resize the pip.

However personally I find split screen on a phone to be useless. Two tiny windows isn’t very usable. That’s why phones with a single 3-3.5 inch square display are not popular at all anymore. However on iPads I use split screen all the time.

5f0cef1649c75c6f53cf9ef105b0df92.jpg

Now if you need to drag something from one app to the other you can still do that on iOS without split screen.

e496c46a073981c01354b6156b74b7b8.jpg

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
You can do that on IOS too with pip video, you can even resize the pip.

However personally I find split screen on a phone to be useless. Two tiny windows isn’t very usable. That’s why phones with a single 3-3.5 inch square display are not popular at all anymore. However on iPads I use split screen all the time.

5f0cef1649c75c6f53cf9ef105b0df92.jpg

Now if you need to drag something from one app to the other you can still do that on iOS without split screen.

e496c46a073981c01354b6156b74b7b8.jpg

You can’t run YouTube and message some one or browse Facebook will watching YouTube at the same time on iOS. You can with true split screen on android. It’s definitely a good feature and better than the pop out window that some apps do.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
You can’t run YouTube and message some one or browse Facebook will watching YouTube at the same time on iOS. You can with true split screen on android. It’s definitely a good feature and better than the pop out window that some apps do.

Sure you can. If you jumps through enough of googles hoops.

c3b680b43084a4d1686f900a6352004c.png

Pip on iOS is pretty great. Split screen two apps on a smartphone not so much.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
One of the biggest differences is that my 13 will connect to blue tooth almost right away where my top end Samsung took up to 5 minutes.

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2016
Visit site

I was about to argue with this, before I caught myself and recalled not everyone has YouTube Premium.

Attachments

• 7F501C7C-DC7E-4A70-9E2B-9B73F99AB538.jpg
    7F501C7C-DC7E-4A70-9E2B-9B73F99AB538.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 6

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
There's been plenty of times I wished for Apple to include Apple Pencil support for the iPhone 13 Pro Max. When I think of something that I need to do, or need to buy, or whatever, I have to unlock my phone (while wearing a mask), tap a few times to open the notes app, and type out a note. If the Apple Pencil support worked like the S Pen on the Note S22 Ultra, I could pull out the Pencil and immediately take a note. The S Pen is incredibly useful and it's way more than a gimmick.

I missed this earlier - if you have the Notes shortcut added in the Control Center you can just swipe down and hit that, Notes app is available for new notes only without needing to unlock.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yep. Absolutely possible.

In their defense, practically everything else doing PiP also requires a sub. Maybe Apple should just do it for them, it would make up for the autoplay video ads and videos in articles.

Not really, Apple TV app and safari has pip without a sub, Twitter Also offers pip no sub.

Apple provides the framework and developer tools for pip it’s up to the developers to use it in their apps.

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
Not really, Apple TV app and safari has pip without a sub, Twitter Also offers pip no sub.

Apple provides the framework and developer tools for pip it’s up to the developers to use it in their apps.

I did say practically everything lol

I wasn’t aware AppleTV did PiP without a sub, I had the sub before the app.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro