Android convert

svfd757

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Originally Posted by Dog5000
What prompted you to switch?
Mostly the direction android is heading. Too much fragmentation and bs on Verizon

This is exactly why my fascination with the Moto X stopped. Spent some time on the Android forum and its hard to keep the phones and the different OS' straight. There's so many versions of everything. So, I'm sticking with my 5. If the 5S looks good to me, I'll get that.

Yeah. It's kind of disappointing where android is heading. The moto x is okay but from what I've seen it's just more of the same.

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
OS fragmentation and lack of timely updates drove me away from Android. I like the fact that my device will get iOS 7 the day it releases to the public. Only Android Nexus devices get that.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So, is this quote, in the opinion of those who've posted in this thread, legit in regard to Android?

"Every handset maker wants its device to be different. And special. So they intentionally tweak the OS to give themselves what they think of as an “advantage,” when really it’s nothing of the sort, because all it does is prevent ISVs from writing apps for them. Even if the handset makers weren’t totally short-sighted and evil, there’s the competency issue."

NOTE: The quote was taken from an 2009 iMore Blog article.
http://www.imore.com/fake-steve-android-fragmentation-harder-develop-iphone

strider2

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I am also new to the iPhone world.
Had Nexus 4 and recently (last week) switched to iPhone 5
So Now I have 2 devices (iPhone and iPad2)

DeJonneJ

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Android fragmentation is not as bad as before. But I'm the type of guy who thinks phones should have updates day 1 and not months after announcements. Nexus phones are good but lack many of the best features like camera interface. But skinned android causes is update delays. Not to mention android phones I've had over the years, incredible, thunderbolt, revolution, Rezound, galaxy nexus and galaxy s3, no matter how many cores or ram, always lag. Anyone who says anything different is lying. Event nexus 7 lagged. The fact that google needed to create project butter to fix lag yet it's still present is sad to me.

On my iphone, everything is smooth. Even older iPhones. As feature and customization-rich as android is, it's just not stable and reliable enough for me. Always a new phone, always a new update I have to wait months to get. I have enjoyed my first year on iphone so much that I'm not even upgrading to the 5s.

I'm going to buy another 5 but the 32gb. Because even as a year old phone, it's still got one of the best cameras and is as smooth as any quad core or octa core android phone out there. And this is coming from a guy who was a die hard android fan in January.

*excuse my typos, typed this on my iphone in class lol.

Aguaski

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I like the fact that my device will get iOS 7 the day it releases to the public. Only Android Nexus devices get that.

I had the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and that device still had update delays for several months. My Galaxy Nexus experience and the bloatware on my Droid Maxx are the primary reasons I now have an iPhone 5 and hopefully soon a 5s.

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I had the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and that device still had update delays for several months. My Galaxy Nexus experience and the bloatware on my Droid Maxx are the primary reasons I now have an iPhone 5 and hopefully soon a 5s.

I was trying to give Nexus devices the benefit of the doubt, but I stand corrected. Either way, we don't have to worry about OS updates any more!😄

that_maynard

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I have used BB and numerous Android devices and when people say they enjoy iOS, they aren't kidding. I'm in that boat.

I just works and I love the size and superior speed. Can't wait for 5s

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate the welcome. I have been a member of the iMore community for some time as I bought my wife an iPad mini recently and had the obligatory newbie questions. I must say that most everyone is very helpful with issues and "dumb" questions. I look forward to learning more and more about this operating system as I get used to this phone.

Welcome! Don't worry too much about learning this OS (6.1) - as new OS (7.0) rolls out this Wed. Unlike Android, which lands on different dates (different months? years?) for different devices, carriers, etc - when Apple OS update goes live, it's universal: your 5, your wife's iPad...

I bit the Apple after exhausting all options: Blackberry, Android, Windows phone. I never wanted iPhone. Now, except for wanting a larger, Galaxy- size device, I would be hard pressed to go back. iThings are stable, dependable, solid. They just work - its like finding nirvana after flukey, glitchy, unreliable others. No more crashes, battery pulls, resets to factory default ( with setup do- overs).

Check out the tips here if you haven't found them already ( I have link on home screen):
iPhone and iPad tips and how-to | iMore
Welcome- and have fun!

svfd757

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Welcome! Don't worry too much about learning this OS (6.1) - as new OS (7.0) rolls out this Wed. Unlike Android, which lands on different dates (different months? years?) for different devices, carriers, etc - when Apple OS update goes live, it's universal: your 5, your wife's iPad...

I bit the Apple after exhausting all options: Blackberry, Android, Windows phone. I never wanted iPhone. Now, except for wanting a larger, Galaxy- size device, I would be hard pressed to go back. iThings are stable, dependable, solid. They just work - its like finding nirvana after flukey, glitchy, unreliable others. No more crashes, battery pulls, resets to factory default ( with setup do- overs).

Check out the tips here if you haven't found them already ( I have link on home screen):
iPhone and iPad tips and how-to | iMore
Welcome- and have fun!

I have noticed that everything seems so much more stable. Not to mention the iOS is way buttery than jelly bean ever dreamed of being.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro