an iOS 9.2 hate story

Migi2015

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
So last Sunday suddenly I had a horror situation where battery when from 85% to 25% in 2 hours sitting on idle. I searched like mad all over Apple Communities and other forums to see if other people had "iOS 9.2 battery drain" and some did. On the 2nd day not only battery drain but the App Store was non-functional. It took me a few days to figure out how to manually revert to iOS 9.1, but I did. Not without a huge hassle. I had assumed that iCloud backups would take care of the restoration process so there would be "no muss, no fuss". But to my chagrin I found out that iCloud backups only like the last several and they were all iOS 9.2 so INCOMPATIBLE with newly restored iOS 9.1 iPhone 6S. So I had to re-download all 70+ apps and sign-in to them.

lessons learned:

* I won't blindly trust Apple on OS updates anymore
* always make an iTunes local backup of your iPhone regularly and especially right before doing an OS update

P.S. Into my 3rd day of restored iOS 9.1, battery life is a DREAM again. I got to 51% when I put it back on charger at 8:45PM after taking it off at 10:10AM.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
But that didn't happen to very many people at all. My battery life on 9.2 is great. Why did you not just restore to a fresh copy of 9.2. That may be all you needed. So you're going to stick at iOS 9.1 forever now?

Migi2015

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
No, I'll eventually update to 9.2.1 or 9.3 and only after they've been out in the wild for a while.

The only new feature I want from 9.2 are the Apple Music improvements. But that's not worth killing my battery over!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
No, I'll eventually update to 9.2.1 or 9.3 and only after they've been out in the wild for a while.

The only new feature I want from 9.2 are the Apple Music improvements. But that's not worth killing my battery over!

Restore to a fresh copy of 9.2!

ipooed

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
I've read a lot of users having bad battery after 9.2 update, personally mine has stayed about the same.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

All thou some uses experience battery drains during OTA updates it's becoming less of an issue

As mentioned above a clean install will most likely correct the issue

Larry Cook1

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I have not noticed any difference in battery since this update or any other update. A clean install should fix your issue. No need to go back to an earlier release.

Migi2015

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I updated to iOS 9.2 again 2 weeks ago with no issues this time. I guess it was just a bad install. Still leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I've never had that happen across dozens of OS updates on iPads before.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I saw that battery drain on my wife's phone, I did the automated battery check and it said bad battery. I went in and got a new battery and everything worked great. If others read this check the battery first, hers went bad overnight and it's going to happen sometime - why not after an update. Check the easy things first...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73