Amazon Prime

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Amazon Prime Video has never been available in the App Store for tvOS up until today, December 6, 2017.

This is true.

And apparently you can’t subscribe to Amazon Prime within the app on neither iOS nor tvOS.

And frankly, they have a horribly small library available for the Netherlands.

I get that it has to do with licensing and whatnot, but it’s definitely no Netflix alternative for me.

I hope one day all this licensing gibberish gets thrown away so we all have a true universal library regardless of where you live.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Since we're on the subject, this app is more than sufficient for the 3rd-gen Apple TV. It is hot garbage and consumer hostile for the 4th and 5th gens. I'm not exaggerating when I say that it doesn't even look like they used the SDK for tvOS and instead just pushed out a web app.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since we're on the subject, this app is more than sufficient for the 3rd-gen Apple TV. It is hot garbage and consumer hostile for the 4th and 5th gens. I'm not exaggerating when I say that it doesn't even look like they used the SDK for tvOS and instead just pushed out a web app.

Wow....If I have time later on, I’ll install it on my 4th gen. TV and check it out.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

I agree. The worst part, in my opinion, is that you can’t use the Apple way of subscribing to the service. You have to do it via their web-interface.

Also, iMore has a blog about your take on the use of SDK for tvOS. https://www.imore.com/amazon-made-bad-prime-video-port-apple-tv-and-it-needs-do-over

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I’ve been so busy, so I just noticed this was available today. The notification has been on my phone for over a week🤷🏾*♀️ I’m not too fond of the UI, but I’m glad Prime is finally available!!!