Always On display or not

turbochgd

Sep 21, 2021
Visit site
I just received my iPhone Pro Max 14 and am really impressed. Had a bit of a hassle transferring from 13 Pro Sim to the 14 eSIM, as it failed doing the transfer. Finally got it activated by contacting my carrier.

I think the always on display is very cool, but being someone who is extra battery conscious I hesitate using it. I’d be interested in who is using it and who isn’t. And of those using it have you seen much of a battery hit?

I know these phones just came out so there probably isn’t too much to go on at this point, but I’d really appreciate hearing your thoughts. Thanks!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I just received my iPhone Pro Max 14 and am really impressed. Had a bit of a hassle transferring from 13 Pro Sim to the 14 eSIM, as it failed doing the transfer. Finally got it activated by contacting my carrier.

I think the always on display is very cool, but being someone who is extra battery conscious I hesitate using it. I’d be interested in who is using it and who isn’t. And of those using it have you seen much of a battery hit?

I know these phones just came out so there probably isn’t too much to go on at this point, but I’d really appreciate hearing your thoughts. Thanks!

I’m using the Always on Display.
I could disable it to save battery, but getting 15 minutes extra of battery usage isn’t worth crippling my device for.

Last edited:

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I switched it off.

With an Apple Watch, aod is a pretty useless feature.
Battery life has been exceptional.

Op: Why don’t you try aod on for a week and then aod off for another week and compare, would appreciate your findings.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm using it. And I love it. I'm not seeing a noticeable impact on battery life but I'm not super concerned about battery life with this device.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I am watching this with interest because I’ve always been anxious about AOD causing battery drain in the past!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Same here. I currently have it switched on and I’ve not witnessed any negative impact on the battery thus far.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Mine is switched on and I'm sure I'll leave it that way. Battery life is never an issue for me. One thing I didn't like was the Always On at bedtime. Oddly, there is no ability to switch Always On with a shortcut, so instead I created shortcuts to turn on low power mode at night and turn off low power mode in the morning. That accomplishes the same thing.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
The #1 battery performance for the big flagship phones is iPhone 13 pro max. And it’s lead over the others not named IPhone was substantial. For iPhone 14 Pro Max, it is very close to 13 Pro Max battery performance. If you go AOD on you probably are looking at a dozen minutes, likely at very most a couple dozen. This will likely still put you at the best flagship battery on the market not counting iPhone 13 Pro Max (likely behind iPhone 14 Plus too once it is released).
Imho if you want AOD on then turn it on. The battery difference is just not tangible enough to even worry about it (if you find circumstances where you’ll need every bit of juice, turning on low power mode when needed will make an actual difference).

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Mine looks just like my Android phones because I don't use wallpaper. Well technically I do, it's just a black image. ;)

Hopefully in the future there are customizations that allow for brightness controls, etc.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I’m going to switch aod back on in the coming week and compare.

But a couple of days in with aod off and my battery barely budges.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I don't use it. 1. I don't find needing to see my Lock Screen at all times all that useful. 2. I don't like the implementation. If Apple would allow us to use white numbers on a black background without having to go through a focus mode workaround, it would be useful. I don't want to see why wallpaper and the way it's currently set up, I think my phone is unlocked when it's not. I don't like it. 3. I would rather get more battery life than less so I won't be using it. 4. It's not an inconvenience for me to tap my display once to get the info I need anyways.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The #1 battery performance for the big flagship phones is iPhone 13 pro max. And it’s lead over the others not named IPhone was substantial. For iPhone 14 Pro Max, it is very close to 13 Pro Max battery performance. If you go AOD on you probably are looking at a dozen minutes, likely at very most a couple dozen. This will likely still put you at the best flagship battery on the market not counting iPhone 13 Pro Max (likely behind iPhone 14 Plus too once it is released).
Imho if you want AOD on then turn it on. The battery difference is just not tangible enough to even worry about it (if you find circumstances where you’ll need every bit of juice, turning on low power mode when needed will make an actual difference).

Here's what all Low Power Mode does. I can find better ways to manage battery.

Disables Itself After Charging to 80%
Disables 5G (Mostly)
Disables 5G Standalone
Shows Battery Percentage in the Status Bar ( Does that anyway now)
Disables Always-on Mode
Reduces Screen Brightness (too much)
Reduces Auto-Lock's Timeout (30 seconds is not enough)
Reduces Refresh Rate
Disables Perspective Zoom (gone in iOS 16)
Disables Animated Wallpapers
Disables Email Fetch
Pauses iCloud Photos Sync
Reduces Background App Refresh
Disables Automatic Downloads
Disables Video Autoplay
Limits MagSafe Battery Pack Charging
Reduces CPU and GPU Performance
Pauses Discretionary and Background Activities

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Here's what all Low Power Mode does. I can find better ways to manage battery.

Disables Itself After Charging to 80%
Disables 5G (Mostly)
Disables 5G Standalone
Shows Battery Percentage in the Status Bar ( Does that anyway now)
Disables Always-on Mode
Reduces Screen Brightness (too much)
Reduces Auto-Lock's Timeout (30 seconds is not enough)
Reduces Refresh Rate
Disables Perspective Zoom (gone in iOS 16)
Disables Animated Wallpapers
Disables Email Fetch
Pauses iCloud Photos Sync
Reduces Background App Refresh
Disables Automatic Downloads
Disables Video Autoplay
Limits MagSafe Battery Pack Charging
Reduces CPU and GPU Performance
Pauses Discretionary and Background Activities

Yes, Low Power Mode does all those things, that's why my Shortcut turns it on at bedtime and off first thing in the morning. None of the things in that list matter if I'm asleep. :cool:

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I turned it off, not necessarily for battery life but because I’m not sure I find it useful. What exactly am I supposed to be looking at

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I turned it off, not necessarily for battery life but because I’m not sure I find it useful. What exactly am I supposed to be looking at

I can surely see why anyone wearing an Apple Watch doesn't need always on. Whatever is on the iPhone lock screen could be on your watch. I like the always on mainly because it lets me or anyone else quickly recognize my phone. Imagine that you have company over and a hand full of iPhones are on the kitchen counter. I can tell at glance which is mine. Or, imagine you have left your phone on the bus. Anyone who picks up the phone knows immediately it is mine because I'm staring at them on the lock screen.

Feel free to believe that is a ridiculous justification. :rotfl:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
tcuprof;[URL="tel:3293429" said:
3293429[/URL]]I can surely see why anyone wearing an Apple Watch doesn't need always on. Whatever is on the iPhone lock screen could be on your watch. I like the always on mainly because it lets me or anyone else quickly recognize my phone. Imagine that you have company over and a hand full of iPhones are on the kitchen counter. I can tell at glance which is mine. Or, imagine you have left your phone on the bus. Anyone who picks up the phone knows immediately it is mine because I'm staring at them on the lock screen.

Feel free to believe that is a ridiculous justification. :rotfl:
Nope. It’s not ridiculous at all.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I don’t really understand why this feature is there at all, I’m sure it will be of no benefit whatsoever when I am asleep, but of course it will leave your phone able to run behind the scenes activity without the wake up step. basically leaving your phone live,forever !

Last edited:

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Mine is switched on and I'm sure I'll leave it that way. Battery life is never an issue for me. One thing I didn't like was the Always On at bedtime. Oddly, there is no ability to switch Always On with a shortcut, so instead I created shortcuts to turn on low power mode at night and turn off low power mode in the morning. That accomplishes the same thing.

I am no longer using the low power mode shortcuts. I was using them because I wanted the lock screen to turn off and you cannot schedule Always On. BUT, I discovered that if you are using the Apple Sleep app (and I am), the lock screen turns off when Sleep starts. Problem solved!