AirPods: Sweatproof or Waterproof?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe a silly question, but are the AirPods sweatproof or waterproof? I run outside a lot and sometimes can get caught in the rain, would much prefer something I know can take a lot of water (just in case... and so I can wash them off properly after a run too!).

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Maybe a silly question, but are the AirPods sweatproof or waterproof? I run outside a lot and sometimes can get caught in the rain, would much prefer something I know can take a lot of water (just in case... and so I can wash them off properly after a run too!).

They are not waterproof but they definitely seem to hold up well. I've been caught in the rain and had no issues. There have been YouTube videos testing them in water and they come out fine so maybe they have some level of being waterproof that just isn't advertised.

Check out this video.

https://youtu.be/lJY7jt9YJG0

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
They aren't rated as either I don't believe.

In fact, my Air Pods took a trip through a washing machine and although the earphones still work, the charging case was done for and needed to be replaced. I'd imagine the case "protected" the earphones from suffering too much damage.

My recommendation: don't chance it.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
In fact, my Air Pods took a trip through a washing machine and although the earphones still work, the charging case was done for and needed to be replaced. I'd imagine the case "protected" the earphones from suffering too much damage.

OH man I can't imagine! Glad they were at least ok. Not sure how I'd do taking 2 AirPods and a case in due to water damage :rolleyes:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I use mine in the gym everyday and sweat all over them. No issues!

Thanks for this image. Now all I can see is a sweaty band-hacker

But in all seriousness, yes, the AirPods are sweat proof. Fortunately I haven’t had the chance to test if they are waterproof

John Martinec

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't figure out what that banging noise was in the dryer, until I took out my shorts and realized I left my AirPods in my pocket. They went through a complete wash and dry cycle. I was pissed, since I only had them for about a month. Needless to say, they are working. Including the case. My guess is they didn't take much water on since they were in my pocket and I have an HE washer, so they are not completely submerged the entire wash cycle. Who knows what I have done to the longevity of them though, but for now they are working.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't figure out what that banging noise was in the dryer, until I took out my shorts and realized I left my AirPods in my pocket. They went through a complete wash and dry cycle. I was pissed, since I only had them for about a month. Needless to say, they are working. Including the case. My guess is they didn't take much water on since they were in my pocket and I have an HE washer, so they are not completely submerged the entire wash cycle. Who knows what I have done to the longevity of them though, but for now they are working.

That sucks, but knowing how the HE washer works, they didn't get that wet lol The dryer was probably the worst of it.

Glad they're working ok!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen