AirPod Woes

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Got me some AirPods on Monday or Tuesday of this week and they’ve already been replaced. My experience so far has been less than stellar. I love the design and love being without a wire, but given what I’ve experienced so far, I’m not sure I will keep them. Here’s what all I’ve been through so far:

1. The first pair didn’t register the double taps on the buds most of the time. It was very frustrating. Took them back last night and the folks at the Apple Store didn’t even bother testing them. They just replaced them on the spot.

2. The second pair is even worse. Double taps work better than the first but not every time. Still frustrating but at least it’s a bit better.

3. Went for a run with the 2nd pair this morning and after the first song ended, the AirPods just stopped working. I looked on my watch (left my phone at home and had the AirPods paired to my AW), it looked like the music was still going. Then it looked like it paused. When i pressed the play button, it tried to connect to the AirPods and said it couldn’t and that I need to make sure the AirPods were nearby and turned on??

4. Got home from my musicless run and paired it back to my phone. Noticed that it didn’t make the sound when it detects that you’ve put the buds in. Music plays and then fades out and stops. This happens a bunch of times until I get tired of it.

5. I forget the device in Bluetooth and reset my AirPods and re-paired it. It worked fine for awhile and same thing happened as in #4 . This pattern happened multiple times throughout the day.

6. I go out to run errands and had to call my daughter. Put my buds in and tell Siri to call my daughter. Call doesn’t go through even though Siri picked up what I was saying and responded. Second time I tried, it worked.

7. I started listening to music after the call and music starts playing and then after a few songs, starts to fade out and suddenly it’s only playing through my phone speakers (different than #4 ). This happens 4-5 times before I reset everything and reconnect again.

8. I’m on with Apple Support now and they ran a diagnostic on my phone which turned out fine. I haven’t had any issues with connecting to my other Bluetooth earbuds, Apple Watch, Fitbit, etc. I don’t think it’s the phone. Somehow, I’ve ended up with two sets of dud AirPods.

9. The confirmation sound you get when you put the buds in your ears don’t always ring when I put the buds in my ear ... sometimes just one ear rings and sometimes none ... yet it shows connected to my phone. Sometimes, both ring and it shows connected. Sometimes one or none ring and it’s not connected.

10. I’ve restarted all my devices multiple times. Seems to fix it fo ra little bit before it reverts.

11. When I use the AW to control volume of music, it seems to revert back to the original state the next time I play music (after I’ve taken he buds out and put them back in). Really weird.

12. Double tapping the AirPods seems more responsive when my phone screen is turned on. Hardly ever engages when screen is off. What’s the point of that?

I really want these to work but I’m just not sure if they will.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Are you on iOS 11? They're beyond amazing on iOS 10....I've had to have them replaced once due to bad battery drain but none of your issues

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Are you on iOS 11? They're beyond amazing on iOS 10....I've had to have them replaced once due to bad battery drain but none of your issues

Yea, I’m on 11.0.3. I’ve had all sorts of issues on 11.0.3 so wouldn’t be surprised. Are you still on 10?

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear you're having multiple issues with your AirPods. I concur with MooMooPrincess about them being amazing on iOS 10 but I know that doesn't help your situation. Unfortunately I don't have any advice but just wanted to share that I feel bummed for you since I remember you being so excited to get them and now this dunt dunt dunt.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear you're having multiple issues with your AirPods. I concur with MooMooPrincess about them being amazing on iOS 10 but I know that doesn't help your situation. Unfortunately I don't have any advice but just wanted to share that I feel bummed for you since I remember you being so excited to get them and now this dunt dunt dunt.

Thanks. Apple chat support wasn’t very helpful. They ended up just scheduling a Genius Bar appt for me for Tuesday so they could diagnose it.

Today, when I put them in to use and started the music, it BLASTED my eardrums! The volume was turned up ALL THE WAY ... and I know I didn’t do that. It’s like I have a ghost living in the buds. Crazy.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
The issues you're having are indeed crazy and not the norm. Hopefully the Genius Bar will rectify it. My best to you. Keep us posted.

davsug

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I’ve been having problems ever since the jump to iOS 11. Mostly related to the AirPods usually, but not always, defaulting to my Apple Watch and not my iPhone when I double tap. Never had that problem with iOS 10.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. Apple chat support wasn’t very helpful. They ended up just scheduling a Genius Bar appt for me for Tuesday so they could diagnose it.

Today, when I put them in to use and started the music, it BLASTED my eardrums! The volume was turned up ALL THE WAY ... and I know I didn’t do that. It’s like I have a ghost living in the buds. Crazy.
You go to genius yet? How'd it go?

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
You go to genius yet? How'd it go?

4177bcd53aeebd8d577ed1df132d7722.jpg

Sitting here waiting as I type this.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Any luck?

They had me test with a set of theirs and it worked fine. And then they reset all settings and re-paired mine and it worked for a few min and then started cutting out. They replaced them (again). Hopefully it works better. I also just upgraded to 11.1 in hopes that helps.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Well, I’m happy to report that my AirPods worked ok all day today ..... I’m still a bit suspicious but so far so good. Double taps have worked, no weird disconnects, etc.

They did reset my settings and told me to go to 11.1 do I don’t know what actually fixed the issue.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Well, I’m happy to report that my AirPods worked ok all day today ..... I’m still a bit suspicious but so far so good. Double taps have worked, no weird disconnects, etc.

They did reset my settings and told me to go to 11.1 do I don’t know what actually fixed the issue.
Good! I'm happy they're working for you now hopefully they continue to work

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Glad you got it worked out!

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site

Whew glad to hear it! Fingers and toes crossed that this continues for you.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Omg! I think my AirPods are starting to go out again. This, being my 3rd pair in a week or two .... everything has been super since they replaced my last pair and today I paired them with my phone and heard a crazy buzzing sound in the left ear bud. It ended after a second or two and started acting normally. Then tonight, it happened again! Not sure what the deal is but I’m starting to lose confidence in this product.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner