Ain't this scary?

Hiri89

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
image.jpg

The third keyboards accessing to everything you type. Is this even secure enough to trust them? I'm curious because it feels a little intimidating.....

They make it sound like a bad thing. It's what I perceive tho.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
People asked for it and people need to accept the responsibilities :) It is very much a concern though and I'm glad apple, at least, made you input passwords strictly from the apple keyboard. All sensitive info should be inputted by the apple keyboard imo though

Last edited:

netnative

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it is scary. I deleted it. Notice also that it is "free." I have read that if the app is free you are the product being sold.

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1411903548.585031.jpg

Last edited:

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
It's a standard warning that's existed on Android for years.

When you give access to a third party keyboard, they have to disclose this kind of information.

There is the possibility that your data can be hijacked, and yes, you are granting system level access to a piece of software. It's assumption of risk.

It's legalese for saying that if you do it, and a third party steals your data, Apple is not liable.

Honestly, what do you think Evernote does? They have full access to whatever notes you put up on their site. Always have, always will.

netnative

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
It's a standard warning that's existed on Android for years.

When you give access to a third party keyboard, they have to disclose this kind of information.

There is the possibility that your data can be hijacked, and yes, you are granting system level access to a piece of software. It's assumption of risk.

It's legalese for saying that if you do it, and a third party steals your data, Apple is not liable.

Honestly, what do you think Evernote does? They have full access to whatever notes you put up on their site. Always have, always will.

The difference is that it is unnecessary to send data outside the device for a keyboard app to predict text. It is another matter if the user wants an app which is installed in several devices to have access to the same data. But the developer of SwiftKey is not giving us the choice. And Apple is OK with it.

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about other 3rd party keyboard, but for SwiftKey, I have been using it since it was a paid app a few years ago on my Android devices. I have no problem whatsoever. We probably should worry more about all those health apps that are monitoring our health. You are willingly give away your heart rate and your exercise routine information. You don't know who they will sell those information to. That is far more scary.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm happy with Apple's keyboard. Good thing I've never liked swype. This is the reason Apple has never used outside things to correspond with their devices, unless it's apps and we download it at our own risk. I'm surprised they allowed keyboards.

Hiri89

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about other 3rd party keyboard, but for SwiftKey, I have been using it since it was a paid app a few years ago on my Android devices. I have no problem whatsoever. We probably should worry more about all those health apps that are monitoring our health. You are willingly give away your heart rate and your exercise routine information. You don't know who they will sell those information to. That is far more scary.

Couldn't agree more. When I got an app for keeping progress of my health and saw everything they asked for I deleted it. There was no way to use the app if the GPS wasn't on. Scary!!!! It would even count how many steps you have done throughout the day and your sleeping habits.

I would just wait for Apple to come up something I can really trust.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Call me old fashioned, but I didn't find anything appealing about any of the 3rd party keyboards...nor the new keyboard functions in iOS 8 really from Apple themselves. I was 100% satisfied with the way the keyboard was...this stuff just reaffirms my choice.

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Apple uses the data from your phone for its own diagnostics. It's buried inside the iTunes user agreement, for one.

If you use a smart phone, every thing that you do is tracked, stored, and analyzed by your mobile carrier, Apple, and the app developer.

No one is drilling down to the user level and seeing how many steps you took at x,y,z location and time. App developers collect the data to analyze general trends and figure out how people use their software. It's how features get added and developed.

It's not a matter of trust. Apple has been doing this for years. Microsoft was the only company that was truly honest about what them storing your emails on their servers meant, and it got them in a boatload of trouble. But, Google AND Apple analyze emails that come in to your inbox. How do you think you get tailored ads, app recommendations, etc?

Hiri89

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Apple uses the data from your phone for its own diagnostics. It's buried inside the iTunes user agreement, for one.

If you use a smart phone, every thing that you do is tracked, stored, and analyzed by your mobile carrier, Apple, and the app developer.

No one is drilling down to the user level and seeing how many steps you took at x,y,z location and time. App developers collect the data to analyze general trends and figure out how people use their software. It's how features get added and developed.

It's not a matter of trust. Apple has been doing this for years. Microsoft was the only company that was truly honest about what them storing your emails on their servers meant, and it got them in a boatload of trouble. But, Google AND Apple analyze emails that come in to your inbox. How do you think you get tailored ads, app recommendations, etc?

I read an article about the fbi worried because of the way apple was doing everything encrypted on iOS 8.

That gave me a little bit of peace. but there's no way I'm letting some random company I don even know of to have everything I type. I don't see why they want to keep in record everything I type. It's non of their business. I always have my location settings off and don't use google for that reason.

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I had swift key and deleted it because I didn't like the keyboard. I love the Apple keyboard. I don't know about the health apps because I don't use any of them!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I had no problem using SwiftKey without the cloud services. Doesn't scare me at all.

I went back to the Apple keyboard because my biggest issue was the fact that I was typing on a cramped keyboard. Then the 6 Plus came along.

vsnlweb

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
View attachment 66575

The third keyboards accessing to everything you type. Is this even secure enough to trust them? I'm curious because it feels a little intimidating.....

They make it sound like a bad thing. It's what I perceive tho.

They have been doing that a for a long time now... Look at all the android keyboards... They ask for the same permissions

olliegrl

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
exactly. iphone users who have been exclusively iphone over the years are prolly gonna freak out about it, but those who have used androids know it's standard. when you open your device up to a third party developer, these are the risks you take...which is why apple was so slow on allowing third party apps to be a thing.

it makes me laugh that some iphone users have been begging for third party access for years..and now that it's here they're crying about the permissions they have to give. pick one guys.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm not concerned with the 3rd party keyboards. Many apps request use of many things and can see a lot. Several use my microphone. So what? I trust SwiftKey and a few others. I like using SwiftKey for the dark keyboard. That's really the only reason. The stock keyboard is great otherwise.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal